The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: drop 10% bf!

Wannabebig New Member

drop 10% bf!

Ok, Yes I am a newbie and believe me I've done MANY searches already. The only thing is that most go off topis or they start contradicitng eachother and it's really confusing. I figured that it would be best to state my situation...

Height: 5'9
    Weight: about 160 lbs.
    Body Fat%: I have to say atleast 20%

I'm not really sure about the bf% but I know I've lost about 40 lbs since last year and my chest and midsection is still a little flabby.

Well basically I want to stay at about 160 but go down to atleast 10%bf.

I have the will power but I just want to know the right way to do it.

I have ideas as to doing morning cardio on an empty stomach, reducing my carb intake and do weight training.

I just don't know what to eat, how many times to eat, and when to eat certain carbs, protein and fats.

I want to weight train 3-4 times a week, jump rope every morning and do little things like push-ups everyday.

Could any of you give me a nutrition plan, PLEASE HELP! I appreciate it...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: drop 10% bf!

Originally posted by t69r00p69
    Ok, Yes I am a newbie and believe me I've done MANY searches already. The only thing is that most go off topis or they start contradicitng eachother and it's really confusing. I figured that it would be best to state my situation...

***LMAO, we get a lot of that around here

Height: 5'9
    Weight: about 160 lbs.
    Body Fat%: I have to say atleast 20%

I'm not really sure about the bf% but I know I've lost about 40 lbs since last year and my chest and midsection is still a little flabby.

**CONGRATULATIONS on your work so far!

Well basically I want to stay at about 160 but go down to atleast 10%bf.

I have the will power but I just want to know the right way to do it.

I have ideas as to doing morning cardio on an empty stomach, reducing my carb intake and do weight training.

***Have some protein, wait an hour or so, then do you morning cardio.

I just don't know what to eat, how many times to eat, and when to eat certain carbs, protein and fats.

***Eat every 2-3 hours.
    Protein: chicken, lean steak, tuna, other fish, etc...
    Carbs: sweet potato, brown rice, oatmeal (non-flavored), etc...
    Fat: natural peanut butter, olive oil, fish oil, flax seed oil, etc...

I want to weight train 3-4 times a week, jump rope every morning and do little things like push-ups everyday.

***Probably shouldn't do the push-ups and stuff every day. Check out the WBB routines, tweak them as you feel necessary, and post the routine you come up with in the training forum...we'll help you out.

Could any of you give me a nutrition plan, PLEASE HELP! I appreciate it...

***Read the diet and training articles at the top of their respective forums.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Ok man, here's the deal. You're gonna have to work yourself out a diet.

160lbs at 20% (ish) gives you about 32lbs of fat on your frame. You basically wanna half that so you're gonna be about 144 if you achieve your goal, which is bording on skinny-little-bitch territory, but i realise how much you dislike fat - as do I.

Anyhoo, start off with calories set at 12kcals per lb. So for you that's 160 x 12 = 1920.

So let's start off with a round 2000.

It's up to you what type of diet you do, whether it be higher fat with cyclical carb loads or a straight isocaloric. I find higher fat diets easier to stick to, maybe you will too. I personally dunno yet, so let me know.

Pick which you wanna do and then work out your macronutrient (ie carbs, protein and fat) ratios.

If you wanna go isocaloric, then it's gonna be 2000 x .33 = 660kcals for each macronutrient. so, carbs and protein have 4kcals per gram and fat has 9. Those are numbers you need to get familiar with.

660 / 4 = 165g carbs, 165g protein.

660 / 9 = 73.3g fat.

If you go iso, then use those figures to make food groups (as mentioned nicely by NateDogg above) fit.

Split over 5-6 meals a day is probably ideal.

So each meal should ideally be (165/6) 27.5g protein, 27.5g carbs and (73.3/6) 12g(ish) of fat.

Or, if you go higher fat, set protein at about 200g a day (800kcals) and get the remaining 1200kcals from fat and trace carbs found in food choices (like nuts, cottage cheese, fruit, green veg etc...).

So we'll give way for about 50g carbs from indirect sources, which takes up about 200kcals, so you need to fill 1000kcals from fat, which, dividing by 9 gives 111g or so of fat to fill.

Over six meals a day, that's like 33.3g protein, 18.5g fat per meal, with about 8g carbs give way.

Carb loads are up to you when you feel you need them. Carb load using the carb choices NateDogg nicely listed above. Go for about 200g carbs or so if possible. And split them over 2 meals or so an hour or two before bed on the days you plan to carb load.

Start carb loading every 5 days or so, and once you get leaner, do them more closely - like every 3rd and then 4th day is a decent enough idea.

Control your weight so that you drop 0.5-1.5lbs a week, but every so often if you drop 2lbs it's ok. Expect to drop more than usual over the first two week from water and glycogen loss.

Try and weigh in at the same time each week (for me it's every saturday morning) under the same conditions. Maybe weigh in a day early or so if you anticipate that you're gonna break diet the night before weighing in (e.g. going out on the razz).

You don't need cardio yet. Save it as a wild card after several weeks when fat loss begins to slow.

No need for morning jump rope just yet, but it'll be beneficial ocne you add in your cardio.

Weight train as normal.

And keep a journal in the journal forums so we can keep an eye on your progress.

~catches breath back~

And good luck!
    Last edited by The_Chicken_Daddy; 10-08-2002 at 12:40 PM.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Nice post CD!!!

very nice

thanx for that
    Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

A good freind will bail you out of jail, a best freind will sit next to you and say "that was fuckin unreal".

Rehab is for quitters

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanx for the info man! I think I'm gonna go low carbs first and then about 3 weeks later more of a balanced diet. Man this is so frustrating because the more I read the more I get confused, lol. I also hate counting calories so I'm trying to piggy back off of other peoples diets, lol. Well I hope everything works out great.

Originally posted by t69r00p69
    Thanx for the info man! I think I'm gonna go low carbs first and then about 3 weeks later more of a balanced diet. Man this is so frustrating because the more I read the more I get confused, lol. I also hate counting calories so I'm trying to piggy back off of other peoples diets, lol. Well I hope everything works out great.
    Actually, you may find the transition easier if you go moderate carbs for a few weeks before shifting to a 'proper' higher fat diet.

If you want to achieve your goals, 9 times out of 10 you need to be aware of calorie intake and manipulating it. It's good practise to get into. You're gonna be in this for life remember
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

LOL, skinny-little-bitch territory. That just stuck out for me for some strange reason.

Great post TCD, you should make this a sticky, as a sort of 'for newbies' thing.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson