Thread: Newbie in need of help here

Wannabebig Member

Newbie in need of help here

I have recently bought dumbbells because my friends are all encouraging me to try bodybuilding to broaden my shoulders and widen my chest. I'm of a pretty lean build. Though I really need to broaden my shoulders and widen my chest because I naturally have a small frame and what really doesnt help is the fact that I'm slightly over 6 feet tall Would you more experienced bodybuilders please recommend methods to widen my chest and shoulders? any help is much appreciated.

i think wed all agree that training one part of the body by itself is ineffective and a dumb thing to do.

you need to balance, somebody who would have strong pecs and a very weak small back would probably get spine trouble.
    also the guy would have grown better training his entire body (LEGS) to a degree where working the whole body would make the pecs grow more than working just the pecs.

MakaveliThadon
    I'm not an expert, but..For chest..Incline Press, incline flyes, dips. Normal bench works chest too, lots of others too.

Dumbell pullovers and flyes. They expand your ribcage.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

the best lifts for chest and shoulders are flat bench press for chest and military press for shoulders.

Ooooooooooo...text book mistake Numero Uno Reindeer. Who gives you the right to play God and tell others what is "Best"?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

ok so maybe i should have sayd basic instead of best?

well theres no argueing that flat bench press isn`t the most practised chest exercise and its also a powerlift.

military press or some form of it should definetely be done when you think the shoulders are that important....

Wannabebig Member
    hmmm I'll try the stuff you guys recommended, thanks for the help and I have one more question, do those exercises increase growth of bone aswell as muscle? I dont know if that's a stupid question since I know very little about bodybuilding etc.

In a roundabout way. It won't make the bones longer, but heavy resistance training does cause an increase in bone density.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    hmmm then could anyone explain why the military press would broaden your shoulders? are the bones there not becoming longer or is it just the muscle that makes it appear wider?

It doesn't.

When you're done growing, you're done growing.

No exercise can change your skeletal structure.

Wannabebig Member
    then... how can those exercises be considered broadening or widening your shoulders and chest?... just more muscle in that specific area wouldn't make much difference...

Sure it would.

look at someone with little muscle. then look at someone with a lot of muscle. do they look the same? I think not tuttut

and yes, make sure to work your whole body; the world doesnt need any more curl junkies, nor do you want to have chicken legs
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Listen to her, or we'll have to hear her curse in Russian again.

lol@dl, nice title btw...haha termy is stalking me as well

yes, it would really be best for you to check out the wannabebig routines--they are solid, balanced examples. Get some o' that symmetry in you. Also, since you said you are of "a lean build" you are going to have to make sure your diet is correct to make progress in your lifting. Most people just dont eat enough proper food and wonder why their muscles don't grow.
    Last edited by Jane; 01-05-2002 at 12:24 AM.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

You go girl.

*snap snap snap*

Wannabebig Member
    lol ok thanks for the help guys

no prob post in the diet forum if you have any food questions, like how much you should eat, when, and what. and dont hesistate to ask anything here either. Thats how you learn.