The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Dieting Down-The Right Way

Lately i have seen alot of information on the forums about bulking alot of it quite good, but there is little talk on dieting and what there is seems to follow diets designed for 110lbs women.

First off forget what you have read in and on the internet, magazines and seen with weight watchers about the normal diets these diets may show results in a loss of body weight, the major percentage muscle loss.

We are body builders and the muscle attained is precious and we must strive to keep it with a sound plan of action. Not some kitchen sink approach that will leave us resembling Brad Pitt.

For those who don't know what your consuming, make a change now! Im talking about knowing the fats, carbs and protein grams you are consuming on a daily basis, if you are one of those unaware visit www.fitday.com this can be a real good starting point at knowing your foods. Otherwise read the labels on food, most tend to be reasonably helpful.

Usually when it comes to dieting the emergency signal swtiches on and a gung-ho approach is applied. E.g. Low carbs, copious amounts of cardio and protein and pointless shaping exercises.

Dont panic, if you do opt for this then muscle will be lost and it wont be a pretty site! Thus the outcome will be Hard Work Bulking=Waste of time come end of cutting cycle.

Next up the diet i'll keep this SAS, because it is believe it or not pretty simple.

Aim to shoot for a nutrition plan that incorporates roughly 1-1.4 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body mass, so for me Protein= 160-180 grams, carbs therefore will be between 350-400 grams, and fats at 30-40 grams. This should be spread out through the day at 6-7 meals for optimal effect, make you 99% of the time you are clean.

To work it out specifically for you i would reccomend using the calculator at www.dietitian.com this should proivde you with some tools, just have your height, weight etc.. on hand.

Cardio: Aim for 2/3 sessions comprising of 30 minute sessions per week of jogging, intervals, skipping, rowing etc...

Now your body should be at neutral and awaiting the signals to kickstart your fat burning furnace.

At this point your body weight hopefully should be stable, now whatever you do don't touch your food intake, apart from a couple of cheat meals per week, because if you are eating 6-7 meals a day, you can incorporate an odd cheat meal and keep within your targets.

What you must do is increase your energy output, and by maintaining your nutrients you will preserve the muscle mass which is rightfully yours. 1st Step increase your cardio to 6-7 dys per week instead of the original 2/3, this in part will kickstart your fat-loss quest. Aim to lose 2-4lbs per week weigh yourself once per week to monitor this.

When you reach a point in which you are losing less than 2lbs per week, make another change switch from 20/30 mins off cardio to 40-45 mins, your fat loss should now continue, remember you havent altered your diet yet, just kept adding a bit more cardio. Things must be done gradually in this game if you want respectable results.

Now when you plataeux once again (if you do) drop your carbs by 100 grams on non weight training days. Your carbs mustn't be dropped all at once, just small steps, to keep you dropping a high percentage of body fat.

If need be reduce your carbs by another 100 grams-200 grams to help your fat loss then do so, but by now you should be starting to achieve your shredded goal. Remember do it slowly so you can take time to cover your action plan.

Imagine that you are creating a peice of art, do you slab on all the paint in one go? no you do it a bit at a time and gradually create your desired goal, if you do that you will end up wasting all your hard work and effort bulking. think about it.

I hope you took time to read this diet approach and put in place the necessary pillars in your aims of ultimate fat-loss and muscle preservation. thank you and good luck

BR
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hmm...nice post...but i adamently disagree about the efficacy of low carb diets and the loss of muscle.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Interesting.

Sounds like something from one of those beginning 'alphabet' sites.

A couple of points:

"Usually when it comes to dieting the emergency signal swtiches on and a gung-ho approach is applied. E.g. Low carbs, copious amounts of cardio and protein and pointless shaping exercises.

Dont panic, if you do opt for this then muscle will be lost and it wont be a pretty site! Thus the outcome will be Hard Work Bulking=Waste of time come end of cutting cycle."

**I agree on the copius cardio and shaping, but low carb diets work quite well for lots of people.

Aim to shoot for a nutrition plan that incorporates roughly 1-1.4 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body mass, so for me Protein= 160-180 grams, carbs therefore will be between 350-400 grams, and fats at 30-40 grams. This should be spread out through the day at 6-7 meals for optimal effect, make you 99% of the time you are clean.

** You are suggesting a macro breakdown of approximately 25% pro, 60% carb, 15% fat. IMO, that's not optimal. Also, you are suggestting eating about 16x bw cals, which is probably a little high. 99% clean meals is one cheat meal out of 100, or one cheat meal every 2.5 weeks.

At this point your body weight hopefully should be stable, now whatever you do don't touch your food intake, apart from a couple of cheat meals per week, because if you are eating 6-7 meals a day, you can incorporate an odd cheat meal and keep within your targets.

** That's not 99%. Why not adjust your caloric intake?

What you must do is increase your energy output, and by maintaining your nutrients you will preserve the muscle mass which is rightfully yours. 1st Step increase your cardio to 6-7 dys per week instead of the original 2/3, this in part will kickstart your fat-loss quest. Aim to lose 2-4lbs per week weigh yourself once per week to monitor this.

When you reach a point in which you are losing less than 2lbs per week, make another change switch from 20/30 mins off cardio to 40-45 mins, your fat loss should now continue, remember you havent altered your diet yet, just kept adding a bit more cardio. Things must be done gradually in this game if you want respectable results.

** This is an excellent plan... if you want to get rid of muscle. The only better way to get rid of muscle is to try a starvation diet with all this cardio
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Nice article, because it touts a caloric deficit, and not some stupid 'magical tool' to lose weight, like 'you must be in ''the zone'' to lose weight' or ketosis etc. But i disagree with you on the increase cardio first then decrease food intake, and i disagree with the amount of carbs and the lack of fats in the diet.

Note however that the cardio thing is personal preference, but the carb/fat issue scientific backing to it.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson

To work it out specifically for you i would reccomend using the calculator at www.dietitian.com this should proivde you with some tools, just have your height, weight etc.. on hand.
    I put in 40% for desired protein intake and it told me "UNREASONABLE AMOUNT, Target should be 10-15%"
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i wanted to try my hand at writing a mini article with what i have learned over the past months of sports science and nutrition research to help those who are in limbo, it is much appreciated and already by reading your posts i have leaned some more, about cutting, diet etc..

thanks BR

That is because that site relys on the "geniuses" at the FDA

poop i didn't anticipate that, erm i dont like linking to this site but www.bodybuilding.com has an effective calculator me thinks.

BR...much of the nutrition research out there incorporates the RDA guidelines, which is inadequate for the bodybuilding lifestyle, and to be honest, 300g of mostly starchy carbs is not my idea of optimal nutrition.

1. That many carbs seems more like a bulk to me. The insulin generated from it would make fat burning a real bitch.

2. 2-4lbs a week is too much. 0.5-2lbs is more like it.

3. I imagine with fat that low you'll get cravings/hunger pains quite badly.

4. cardio is necessary and should be saved for a few weeks into the diet as a wild card.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]