The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

About me,Low bf% but no abs

Thought i would break things up for anyone that doesnt want to read all the history crap. questions at the bottom.

----------------A little about myself before my questions.--------------

I am 18yrs a small 5'8 weighing in @ a massive 122 pounds. I have been weight training since feb 02 (with a one month lapse after a car wreck) but pertty solid for the past few months. other than my lapse im in the gym at least 3 days a week but the past few months a solid 5 days a week. in order to keep things simple i do weights 3 days and cardio on off days on an even split. I dont break up muscles to keep things simple. I do plan to change this in the future to a 2 or 3 day split as i know this is not ideal. I eat clean no cal counting or anything simply steer clear of simple carbs,sodium, and fast/junk food. I started supp with whey several weeks ago. About 2 shakes a day.

I started training in hopes to simply increase my fitness level (i have an IT job so i sit on my *** all day) and get a bit more muscular nothing to drastic. Like so many other people i want a well defined six pack. I have had a small gut and love handles not anything huge but enough that you couldnt see any definition even flexed. So i started hitting the gym, not really dieting but watching what i eat, and i started to gain some definition mostly around my lower abs starting to see the v shape take form. I still cant see much definition of my abs so i assumed it was a layer of fat covering them as so many state so I buckled down on a more strict diet even started to take an ECA to try and cut the last pound or two that was coving my abs. I assumed i had a bf% in the mid to upper teens as that seemed to be about what other people with that last little bit of fat have. Until i got it checked by a three site caliper test my bf% is 6% (I also, stupid me, had it check after running for 20 mins and it was understandably lower at 4.2%)

----------------Now after all that history here are my questions.------

First are calipers going to be that accurate... I know they are only estimates and are never 100% but they are not going to be inaccurate by much, are they???like within several %???

With that low of body fat (6%) should i be worried at all about cutting? Should i just bulk like a mad man or what???

Right now other than taking the ECA im not really cutting eatting around 2500 cals a day with a fair amount of protein.Also to add I started taking glutaamine and creatine this week and I hope that will help.My goal after I get my abs defined it to start to bulk and hit about 140-150 and if its a very lean 140-150 I would be very happy at that.

could my abs just be under developed that they arent big enough to poke throught. I can feel definite lines of each muscle in my abs when flexed.

with the v shape coming out and a bf of 6% training abs three days a week pertty hard with weights taking a an ECA,creatine,glutamine, my fair share of protein, eating clean and doing cardio 3 times a week how long could i expect before my abs start to show in your HO????I was thinking about a month???

I know its long and bouncing around a bit general advice and comments welcome thanks this board is great.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yea u should prolly bulk and stop taking ECA, youre a perfect candidate of the person who shouldnt use it
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Dont worry dude, I am also one of those low-body-fat-but-still-have-a-f*cking-gut kinda guys too. Its very small but I guess it just seems bigger to me than it acually is.

Grasshoppa
    You use ECA stack at 122 pounds? I'm about as tall as you, I weighed that much back in 8th grade, that was like 8 years ago, hehe. I cut down to 140 and people said I was a stick. I imagine you need to pack on a lot more muscle, so eat your heart out and push it in the gym and give yourself adequate rest.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I found that doing situps, crunches did little for my abs, even though I was lean, started using a weighted crunch machine and built up some ab muscle, looks much better, have to agree with the others, leave the eca alone your too small allready
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

at your size you may not have very large ab muscles therefore there is nothing to show through or very small... do some weighted crunches but dont overtrain them

Wannabebig Member
    My abs workouts look something like this.

Three days a week Mon-Wen-Fri

Hanging leg pulls - X sets of 20 to failure alternate to front and each side.
    Decline situps - X sets to failure again alternate front and sides I had been doing this with a 25 plate I liked it that way much better.
    Cable Reverse crunchs - sets of 20 to failure apprx 4-5 @ 100-110 lbs
    Side Bends - sets of 20 each side also to failure @ 45 lbs this is really not enough as it takes about 4 sets to before i start to feel it.

Thats about how it goes i dont really have a solid set number of sets for each i simply go by what my body tells me somedays i do more than others. As i said before I can feel the separation of the muscle group when flex its simple a layer of fat covering them.

I started taking the eca thinking that my bodyfat was alot more when I heard them say how low it was it did scare me a bit and since i really couldnt? or shouldn?t decrease my body fat much more I will stop taking the eca. I have been taking it for a little over two weeks with no side effects, I do really like the before workout pep it gave me.

About 1.5-2 years ago I weighed in at around 140 but it was very fatty big gut and huge love handles. Most people in my family like my sister (if you think im skinny you should see her 5'5 and 98 pounds wet with rolls of quarters stuck in her pockets) gain a fair amount of weight before a growth spurt so some of the weight came from that and the fact i never did anything. BUT everyone said I looked chubby at 140 granted it wasnt lean and no muscle. anyways 140-50 is still my goal.

thanks again.

Wannabebig Member
    Also wanted to add I think us skinny bastards should start a gym and get people skinnier than us to go to make me feel better..... kinda like when I watch child jepordy and win. Get so much self satisfaction from beating eight year olds.

If you're at 6% and don't have abs, you're not at 6%.

If you had someone who's not skilled do the test, it can be off by a huge margin.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Sounds like you're just underweight...you need to have muscle for muscle to show. I'd say focus on adding some bulk and worry about abs later.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

A. F.
    i wish my girlfriend had your height and weighted that much : )

add some weight, then cut afterwards. doubt you are that low if you don't have abs, but like someone else said, get some muscle size and then get rid of the fat. your too small to cut before bulking. you probably don't have much fat to lose.

and back down on the ab workouts. once or twice a week, and lower the sets. pick an exercise for abs and one for obliques, and just do two-three sets of 10 (to failure).
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    I dont know how much this helps... but i was at 125 3 months ago and started working out now im at 135... and im 5'8 too... as for my abs... i have two huge ones up top... then u cant see the rest... u can only SLIGHTLY feel them if u run ur finger on it... and drinking dusnt help either so i cut down on beer.... the gut isnt as... pronounced anymore...
    I know I'm small, leave me alone...

Grasshoppa
    Cool. Bulk.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

If you can't feel each individual ab then losing bf is not gonna give you anything to brag about anyway.
    Add weight to all your ab movements. You shouldn't be doing them to failure.

Starving ethiopian children have great abs but I wouldn't want the physique of one.

Eat more and don't use Abs as an indicator of success.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Wannabebig Member
    I dont want people to get the wrong impression. Im not starved I eat a pertty good amount around 2500 cal a day sometimes more and i listen to my body if an hour after eating a im hungry again i eat again. I have other goals than my abs and many other indicators of my progressing success. When I started I could barley do a single dip now I do them as my warm-up. My delts are looking pertty nice even though i still want to work on them. I also want a chest you can see under a tshirt and arms that have definition even when i dont flex. Also an ass would be nice something to keep my hips from digging into chairs and cutting the circulation off to my legs. I am less than huge I come from some shitty genes but y determination is great and my desire to learn as much as I can and make educated decisions about my goals and health are my my greatest concern.

I have progressed a lot from when i started and plan to continue even if i never see my abs. I have found going to the gym if nothing else is theraputic it gets my mind off work and school. Hell if I ever get depressed and use the gym as therapy ill be a f****** rock. Something about grunting and sweating for an hour that makes me calm.

Wannabebig Member
    Ye know being small really isnt that bad if you think about it.

I can fit in most overhead compartments so i can fly really cheap and I can bend into positions not seen in the karma sutra, childrens cloths are cheaper than adults clothes, me an five of my friends can share one happy meal, the jungle gym STILL seems big, and finally im so small ALL my features look bigger.

Haha Thanks to everyone for the advice.

people always say that losing bodyfat will give you a "perfect" six pack. I understand that and agree that you will see a six pack with low bodyfat, but I think size in abs is one of the best features a person can develop.

Originally posted by Adamj5

I have progressed a lot from when i started and plan to continue even if i never see my abs. I have found going to the gym if nothing else is theraputic it gets my mind off work and school. Hell if I ever get depressed and use the gym as therapy ill be a f****** rock. Something about grunting and sweating for an hour that makes me calm.
    Keep it up man, sounds like you have a great attitude. I'm sure the muscle will start to pack on. I'm about your height (5'7 1/2), and was around your weight when I graduated from highschool (around 130). Now I weigh in at about 162, and if you're small boned like I am, the muscle will look damn good on your frame.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 10-13-2002 at 11:24 PM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    I say you should just bulk up and not worry about your abs right now, If you have a flat stomach that enough to ask for as it is.

I could almost bet, that if you bulked up, those abs woud follow right along with the rest of you.

Another thing....ECA should not even be in your vocabulary right now. Try bumping those calories to 3k and see if that gets you any more results.

Key words for ya= Train Hard, Eat Big.

A 7-site caliper test is far more reliable than 3. 3 will always put you lower.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.