The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Rows!!!

Rows!!!

How should your hands be placed?

I currently use a reverse grip (palms facing away) is this correct?

I usually see people doing it overhand (Palms facing toward body), but I was told when I was younger that it doesn't hit the back as much.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

An underhand grip is your best bet. An underhand grip puts your biceps in their strongest position, and also gives your lats a larger range of motion. This way your lats will not only fail first, but theyll be worked harder with the bigger ROM. I like to do underhand supported rows---work great for your lats.

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Which ever is more comfortable for you. I heard that reverse grip hits the back more also but I alternate between both grips.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

a palms in grip would be the best, if you HAD to choose one. it's the most natural and most neutral grip. it definately should not make too much of a difference besides a psychological effect.
    Forget the six-pack for now and get BIG!

i prefer overhand grip but i feel you should alternate between the two. This way you can target your back differently.
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

I agree w/ Fuel and fatsoPanda. I personally do them overhand but I switch it once every 2 weeks. I believe overhand is more effective hitting the lats because biceps become more into play when you do rows underhand.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    You guys are being silly tonight. Tell me how rotating your wrist is going to influence whether or not you use your lats. The only reason to consider what grip to use would be for comfort, or if you believe you're including your biceps more.

I think the over/under grip makes more of a difference when doing chins/pullups. When you perform a chin/pullup your bicep fully flexes (uper arm touches lower). Performing a BO BB Row, you go till you hit your chest, so your bicpes dont flex fully cuz you hit your chest. You are basically just pulling with the lats/elbows to get the weight up, not so much the bicep.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but if I use underhand I can 'feel' it in my lats more because when I bring the bar up it seems to go more towards my belly. When I user overhand, it seems to hit my rhomboids more because the bar travels more towards my chest.. So I use both over and underhand grips on back day.

Thanks guys, I'll keep my hands the same then.

Thanks again.

underhand for me because the rear delts seem to give out too early on overhand.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    i notice absolutely no difference either way, I doubt it makes much of a difference, the movement is the same no matter which way your hands are placed