The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Absolute Dedication

Wednesday October 9, 2002

Ramblings
    'Friends applaud. The comedy is over.'

Yes, I have cast that comical,rambling tale of my bodybuilding foibles, failings, and (very occasional) triumphs known as 'Hell, why not?' into the deep. Like some ship that has outlived its time, it will silently sink to the bottom of this sea of ether, coming at last to rest at the murky bottom(Probably between the hulking, rusted shells of several of Monstar's journals). Why, you may ask yourself, has B&I done such a thing? What would possess him to consign something to which so much time had been devoted, in which such a tale of heroism and tragedy unfolded, which had consumed his very life, to oblivion? Well my friend, the answer is quite simple: I still look like sh*t. I am unhappy with my progress. I should probably just suck it up and start doing massive amounts of steroids, but for now I've decided to simply rededicate myself to my goal. I'm certainly not gonna look like Arnold, but surely I can look a f*ck of a lot better than I currently do. My training has been pretty solid, my diet decent enough, but it lacked something. It lacked absolute dedication. So, I'm really hoping that with this journal I can make a fresh start. 'Good enough' is not good enough anymore. From now on, perfection is my mantra. Every meal. Every minute. Every day. Will I succeed? Knowing me, probably not. But I'll do my damnedest. Unfortunately, there is the ideal and there is reality, as Plato noted. Life has a way of getting in the way of perfection. But I'll certainly put forth 110% percent effort. And I hope what readers I may still have will take me to task if I start f*cking off. I might post a picture or two of myself in the next few days. We'll see.

As to the more mundane aspects of things, I'm continuing with HST. I'm returning to my 6 day a week, twice a day Arnold-inspired routine(STOP THE INSANITY!) Will it be more effective than doing full-body workouts three times a week ala cookie-cutter HST? NO, probably not. Might it even be slightly counterproductive? Yeah, probably. But it's fun. So there. My diet will be pretty much as it has been, just better. Better meal timing. Better supplement timing. Better macro breakdown. I still think that ultimately calories are what's most important, but again as the title says I'm going for 'absolute dedication'

On a further note, I received my bromocriptine this past Monday. I began taking it Tuesday. Frankly, I haven't really done any research into it. I'm just going on what's in Lyle McDonald's 'Bromocripting' e-book. Yes, dumb. But Lyle is one of the few people in whome I have almost complete faith. I haven't really read of any miraculous results of those using the stuff. McDonald himself hasn't even tried it. But it's fairly inexpensive, has a very good safety profile, and it's gray market(i.e.it's prescription, but not scheduled, and it might actually be legal if imported for personal use--not sure on that) It's not like ephedrine, or clenbuterol, or anything like that. By itself it doesn't do anything(with regard to dieting) It merely counters some of the symptoms of decreasing leptin levels that occur with dieting. We'll see how it works. Since it can't be used simultaneously with beta-agonist(i.e. ephedrine) I'm having to drop my beloved EC(Actually, one of the reasons I decided to try bromo was to force myself to take an extended breakd from EC) So, it'll have to be more effective than EC to show any effects. I'll still be having refeeds when I feel the need, but they should be much more infrequent and quite a bit less extreme.

Man, I miss my ephedrine already.

Exercise:

9:15am-9:55am: Chest/Back

(Assisted) Chins
    Tempo: 212
    Warmup: none
    Work sets: -100 x 15, -100 x 7, -100 x 5
    Increment: n/a
    15RM: -70 @ 212

Comments:
    Good concentration/tightness in mid-back. All three sets were somewhat difficult.

Incline DB Press
    Work sets: 35's x 15, 35's x 5
    15RM: 50's @ 101

Comments:
    Somewhat difficult.

H.S. Iso-Row
    Work sets: 70 x 15, 70 x 9
    15RM: 100 x 15 @ 101

Comments:
    Somewhat difficult.

(Assisted) Dips
    Tempo: 212(1st 10,), 101(last 5)
    Work sets: -90 x 15, -90 x 5
    15RM: -60 @ 101

Comments:
    Somewhat difficult.

Machine Pullover
    Work sets: 75 x 15
    15RM: 100???

Comments:
    Somewhat difficult.

Incline Flyes
    Tempo: 201
    Work sets: 15's x 15
    15RM: 30???

Comments:
    Good concentration. Somewhat difficult.

Overall Comments
    Decent enough workout. I should've gone with my gut feeling and just stuck to one set per exercise. I don't have the stamina for multiple sets during the 15's. Besides the TUL of the exercises is already quite long, so the extra sets probably don't do much anyways. So, from now on I pretty much just do one set, with an occasional extra 1-2 if I feel the need. I definitely be doing multiple sets in the 5's, and possibly in the 10's. Did I mention I miss my ephedrine?

3:50pm-4:15am: Legs

Deadlifts
    Work sets: 115 x 15
    15RM: 155 @ 101

Comments:
    Easy. Since I have to start submaximally, and I'm so goddamn weak this is sorta difficult. I actually used a bit more weight that ideal so the bar wouldn't be quite as low to the floor. As it was, I sorta only went down until an inch or two above the floor--that's as close as the plates ever came to touching the floor. I wanted to avoid rounding my back. But I noticed after the first few reps that without touching the floor my ROM was becoming short and this was resembling more a SLDL than a regular deadlift. I corrected, though. Next time, I'll have a 45 per side so this shouldn't be an issue.

HS Leg Extensions
    Tempo: 212(1st 10), 101(last 5)
    Work sets: 60 x 15
    15RM: 80 @ 101

Comments:
    I always forget how difficult this is, even with pathetically light weight when doing these high-reps(Too much lactate) This was way too hard, mostly due to using too slow of a tempo. Next time I use 101 from the start. After I finshed, my legs were buckling underneath me.

HS Seated Leg Curl
    Work sets: 55 x 15
    15RM: 75 @ 212

Comments:
    Fairly difficult, but cake next to the leg extensions. Good concentration and form.

Calf Raise-performed on incline leg press
    Tempo: 101
    Work sets: 100 x 15
    15RM: 100 @ 101

Comments:
    Duh. I was wondering why this was so difficult while I was doing it. The last few reps were fairly crappy. Well, turns out moron-boy used his 15RM rather than the proper weight. Duh.

Power Crunch
    Work sets: 40 x 15
    15RM: 60 @ 101

Comments:
    Slightly difficult.

Overall Comments
    Felt a bit nauseated and light-headed after this. Not sure if it was due to my 11 days of SD combined with the 15's, the bromocriptine(nausea is a possible side-effect) or both. Probably both. Quick workout. Not too bad, either--except for feeling like sh*t at the end. Oh yeah, did I mention I miss my ephedrine?

Diet:

• 8:00am: 1/4 cup Steel-cut oatmeal, 1 scoop whey, 1.25mg bromocriptine, 1 multivitamin, 400IU vitamin E, 500mg ester-C(29g carbs/4g fiber, 26g protein, 3.5g fat)
      9:00am: 1 scoop whey, 10g BCAA's, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g l-glutamine, 500mg HMB(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)
      9:15am-9:55am: B&I Aid, 10g BCAA's, 5g l-glutamine, 5g glutamine peptide(30g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)
      10:00am: 1 scoop HSN Driver, 1 scoop dextrose, 3g CLA, 500mg HMB, 1g ester-C, 100mcg selenium(35g carbs/4g fiber, 21g protein, 5g fat)
      12:30pm: 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 cup cantaloupe, 10g fish oil, 500mg HMB(24g carbs/1g fiber, 27g protein, 15g fat)
      3:00pm: 1 scoop whey, 10g BCAA's, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g l-glutamine, 500mg HMB, 250mg ALA(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)
      3:50pm-4:15pm: B&I Aid, 10g BCAA's, 5g l-glutamine, 5g glutamine peptide(30g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)
      4:15pm: 1 scoop HSN Driver, 1 scoop dextrose, 3g CLA, 500mg HMB, 1g ester-C, 100mcg selenium, 400IU vitamin E, 500mg ALA(35g carbs/4g fiber, 21g protein, 5g fat)
      5:30pm: 2oz beef jerky, 10 fish oil caps, 500mg HMB(16g carbs/0g fiber, 26g protein, 12g fat)
      8:30pm: 3oz tuna in water, 1tbsp olive oil, 6oz uncooked broccoli/cauliflower/carrot medley, 1tbsp ranch dressing, 500mg HMB(10g carbs/4g fiber, 23g protein, 22g fat)
      12:00am: 1oz peanuts, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 500mg HMB(10g carbs/3g fiber, 20g protein, 15.5g fat)
      12:15pm: 3mg melatonin, 400mg magnesium

Totals:
      Calories: 2701kcal
      Carbs/Fiber: 225g/20g
      Protein/Free-form Aminos: 208g/80g
      Fat:81g

Comments:
    Perfect, from meal timing to composition to supplement intake. Only failing: too little fiber. Since I've been eating a bit above maintenance, I'm gonna wait a week or two to drop my calories down further(or not if I lose weight) because I'm freakin' starving as it is. This went down exactly as planned. Sh*t, I'd hope so. It's only the first day.

Weight: 210lbs

Sleep: 8 hours.

Misc: Nope.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keep up the great detailed journal B&I, seriously. Hehe I am glad that you changed up the way you post your diet---with the "list" or whatever its called. Its much easier to read now.

Keep it up man!

Sweet.

Remember perfection is your mantra.

"In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Mystic Eric
    Oh my god! How long does it take you to type out your journal each day???

Good luck man.

I bet it's just the dieting that's messign with your head.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Re: Absolute Dedication

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    From now on, perfection is my mantra [/B]
    Schlonkey is my mantra.

Nice to see you in a new, "rededicated" journal. I'll be watching!

I can't honestly believe that you have not been dedicated enough, detailed enough or consistent enough to achieve your goals. You have raised the bar again and I wish you all the best in achieving your goals. I have every faith that you will indeed find the secret formula (no, I'm not referring to gear here but to all aspects of training, eating, sleeping and supplementing) to gain the size with the correct amount of bodyfat that you desire.

I will continue to look forward to reading this new journal and gleaming whatever modicum of information that I can, to help me achieve my goals.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    Oh my god! How long does it take you to type out your journal each day???
    On a typical workout day: 1-2 hours.
    On a non-workout day: 30min-1 hour.
    Yesterday: 2-3 hours. That was partly because I was starting from scratch to a degree(I can just quote my previous posts from now on) and because I succumbed to the delusion that I'm a writer.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

You're a good writer.

I like reading your blab
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Bromo Arigato Mr. Roboto.

Bromo. (bromo.)

Bromo. (bromo.)

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    You're a good writer.

I like reading your blab

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

On a typical workout day: 1-2 hours.
    On a non-workout day: 30min-1 hour.
    Yesterday: 2-3 hours. That was partly because I was starting from scratch to a degree(I can just quote my previous posts from now on) and because I succumbed to the delusion that I'm a writer.
    JESUS!

I like to think my journal is fairly detailed, and I spend about 15-20 minutes per day. Then again I type around 65-70 WPM. I dont know why I have never really taken any keyboarding classes or anything. It always just came very easy for me.

Wannabebig Member
    Hello B&I, I too am interested in trying the bromo. I recently ordered my bromo and expect it in 2-3 weeks. I'm glad to see you're keeping a journal and I'm definitely looking forward to your perception of the results. Are you trying to cut or bulk up without putting too much fat? I'm trying to cut (shaved my gotee only to reveal a second chin, so it's either grow it back or lose some FAT). Oh, which brings me to a second question....have you tried or heard anything about that cutting jel for spot reduction?...thinking about putting it on my second chin.

Good luck with the bromo and I look forward to seeing if it does any good! I'll do the same when I get my bromo.....hopefully I get it....these online pharmacies don't particularly give me the warm and fuzzies
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the bromocriptine works out for ya. You are one of the most dedicated people I've seen around here yet you always strive to better. I admire that.

I kinda stole some of your journal layout ideas B&I. Hehe hope you dont mind!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    "(Probably between the hulking, rusted shells of several of Monstar's journals)"

baaahahahha. Interesting diet...geez, up until 2 days ago I was eating twice a day. looks like I gots a while to go

Have you considered having some kind of morning daily reminder? Maybe writing your mantra on a post-it each morning and sticking it on the mirror? Or something small, but daily?

Just an idea.

(and I think you're not only a writer, but a good one as well)
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Re: Absolute Dedication

'Friends applaud. The comedy is over.'

Yes, I have cast that comical,rambling tale of my bodybuilding foibles, failings, and (very occasional) triumphs known as 'Hell, why not?' into the deep. Like some ship that has outlived its time, it will silently sink to the bottom of this sea of ether, coming at last to rest at the murky bottom(Probably between the hulking, rusted shells of several of Monstar's journals). Why, you may ask yourself, has B&I done such a thing? What would possess him to consign something to which so much time had been devoted, in which such a tale of heroism and tragedy unfolded, which had consumed his very life, to oblivion?
    Poetry I tell you. Sheer poetry. Now stop sulking. You're one of the most dedicated in here. Glad your jounal's back up.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    B&I,

Your statment that you are re-dedicating yourself is unbelievable. As most have said you have been and are one of the most dedicated already here.

Simply Uncanny

GG
    Last edited by GeneticallyGifted; 10-10-2002 at 04:14 PM.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Originally posted by galileo
    Bromo Arigato Mr. Roboto.

Bromo. (bromo.)

Bromo. (bromo.)
    Share. What's the reference?

Originally posted by MonStar

JESUS!

I like to think my journal is fairly detailed, and I spend about 15-20 minutes per day. Then again I type around 65-70 WPM. I dont know why I have never really taken any keyboarding classes or anything. It always just came very easy for me.
    I don't know why it takes so long. I type quite quickly too, at least 70-80wpm.

(Probably between the hulking, rusted shells of several of Monstar's journals)
    At least its in a good place B&I. Hehe, lol I am just f*cking with you B&I its all good. I just noticed this remark hehe---pretty clever man. Good luck with the rededication. The "re" is just ridiculous man you were plenty dedicated in "Hell, why not?"

Mr. Roboto by Styx. Download it if you can

Originally posted by Erbas
    Hello B&I, I too am interested in trying the bromo. I recently ordered my bromo and expect it in 2-3 weeks. I'm glad to see you're keeping a journal and I'm definitely looking forward to your perception of the results. Are you trying to cut or bulk up without putting too much fat?
    Cutting.

I'm trying to cut (shaved my gotee only to reveal a second chin, so it's either grow it back or lose some FAT). Oh, which brings me to a second question....have you tried or heard anything about that cutting jel for spot reduction?...thinking about putting it on my second chin.
    Cutting Gel by Nutrasport is worthless. It is a very expensive topical diuretic. Yohimbine containing products like Lipoderm-Y, from Avant Labs, is a good product. I've made quite a few posts on it(results, proper usage, etc) which you should find with a search on my username and 'Lipoderm'. There is also a good article on the science of topical fat loss aids at:
    www.avantlabs.com
    If you still have any questions after reading the above, feel free to ask.

Good luck with the bromo and I look forward to seeing if it does any good! I'll do the same when I get my bromo.....hopefully I get it....these online pharmacies don't particularly give me the warm and fuzzies
    I know what you mean...