Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 99

Thread: The Mind in Lifting...

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by galileo


    There must be something in the waterglutes over there. He benches 500, some kidgearhead benches 525, all naturalexceptsteroids, rawifyoudontcountthebenchshirt, and elegantwithonlyatinyspot ! You should bottle whatever yer drinkinginjecting mister, because you'd make a killing.
    Ignorance must be bliss for you! Sorry you'll have to go to GNC to get what I'm taking. As far as my training methods...yes, I do make a killing with those.

  2. #52
    Player Hater PowerManDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    7,850
    Anyone with proper marketing techniques, a few easily-obtained certifications and the ability to obtain half a clue from a physiology book can make themselves into a lifting guru and "make a killing" with their training methods.

    Doesn't make them effective or in any way superior. Nor does it vouch for anyone's personal status.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

    Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

    ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

    Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

    galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

    assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Anyone with proper marketing techniques, a few easily-obtained certifications and the ability to obtain half a clue from a physiology book can make themselves into a lifting guru and "make a killing" with their training methods.

    Doesn't make them effective or in any way superior. Nor does it vouch for anyone's personal status.
    Well, I was kinda responding sarcastically to a post that was made before mine...but in response to this...anyone with a certificate can get clients, but you have to be very good at what you do to keep them for years and years and build a true following...

  4. #54
    Player Hater PowerManDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    7,850
    Not really. I've seen trainers keep clients at my gym for very long periods of time, with no change in performance or appearance.

    Charisma plays a much larger role in this than actual results.

    Quite frankly, client following is no basis for judging efficacy of methods.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

    Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

    ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

    Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

    galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

    assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Not really. I've seen trainers keep clients at my gym for very long periods of time, with no change in performance or appearance.

    Charisma plays a much larger role in this than actual results.

    Quite frankly, client following is no basis for judging efficacy of methods.
    Ok Powerman you win! End of discussion.

    From now on lets keeps posts related to the original point of the thread...ok? Ok, thanks.

  6. #56
    MACHINE
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    on the short bus
    Posts
    0
    Mind is a huge part of training. Without my intensity and mindset during a workout, I would not be able to train to failure and beyond, and I sure as hell know I'd be no where near where I am today physically.

    And as far as some folks interpretation #7 goes, a "dream" is not necessarily a "goal" in the traditional sense. I think a dream is just something to keep in mind and strive for as you overcome the obstacles on the way to your goals. Without a dream, why set new goals after achieving them. Lets say I can bench 300, but want to get 450. Is that out of my reach? Probably, but if I start with an individual achievable goal and go from there, it gets more realistic every time I set new goals. I do 300 now, and want 325 in 6 months. I achieve that, and now I set my sights on 350 in 6 months. My progress may not stay at that pace, but with every increase in weight and goal accomplished, 450 seems more real.

    If friend A benches 350 and says he wants to bench 400, it seems reasonable, right?
    If friend B benches 300 and says he wants to bench 400, it would seem much less attainable and reasonable, but the difference between friend A and friend B could simply be a year of goal-oriented training.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

    5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

  7. #57
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    It is a matter of definitions. It is a goal of mine, not a dream, to someday push 500 pounds off my chest. It is a short term goal to reach 315. I think somewhere in the thiread people started taking things too personal. And then, of course, it's the internet where everyone feels they are the one and only leading authority on everything.

  8. #58
    grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    163
    Gino and Saturday, very nicely put !!
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

  9. #59
    MACHINE
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    on the short bus
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    And then, of course, it's the internet where everyone feels they are the one and only leading authority on everything.
    I try to carry this thinking over to real life situations as well. lol
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

    5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

  10. #60
    Senior Member Accipiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Posts
    4,076
    "dal;stj;lkasjtart THIS BARBELL RAPED MY MOTHER! GRRRRR" *benches 550*.

    'you don't want to even know my other lifts' like the 130 lbs. db kickback

    I'm just rippin on ya bro ;P

  11. #61
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    As far as my training methods...yes, I do make a killing with those.
    anyone with a certificate can get clients, but you have to be very good at what you do to keep them for years and years and build a true following...
    I gotta tell ya man. You are one hell of a businesman. Honestly how many PM,s do you get in response to threads like this, asking all of your awesome "secrets". I actually liked your post, but you seem to represent everything I dislike about "profesionals" in the fitness industry. I say this not really knowing you, you may be a great guy, but your internet personality just say's businesman to me.


    I won't even mention some of my better lifts
    I'm really gonna keep my mouth shut as far as some of my other lifts....that's for sure!
    Last edited by smalls; 10-15-2002 at 05:46 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  12. #62
    beercan
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    retirement home
    Posts
    236
    I have no problem beleiving anyone's lifts....if they were done in a meet, that is . GoPro, there is a meet in Oceanside NY, on December 7, right around the corner from you, if I'm not mistaken. Why don't you and your partner enter and win, and show the powerlifters that they're just wasting thier time. They would be wasting thier time, of course, since there's so many people training like bodybuilders that are stronger than them.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by gino
    Mind is a huge part of training. Without my intensity and mindset during a workout, I would not be able to train to failure and beyond, and I sure as hell know I'd be no where near where I am today physically.

    And as far as some folks interpretation #7 goes, a "dream" is not necessarily a "goal" in the traditional sense. I think a dream is just something to keep in mind and strive for as you overcome the obstacles on the way to your goals. Without a dream, why set new goals after achieving them. Lets say I can bench 300, but want to get 450. Is that out of my reach? Probably, but if I start with an individual achievable goal and go from there, it gets more realistic every time I set new goals. I do 300 now, and want 325 in 6 months. I achieve that, and now I set my sights on 350 in 6 months. My progress may not stay at that pace, but with every increase in weight and goal accomplished, 450 seems more real.

    If friend A benches 350 and says he wants to bench 400, it seems reasonable, right?
    If friend B benches 300 and says he wants to bench 400, it would seem much less attainable and reasonable, but the difference between friend A and friend B could simply be a year of goal-oriented training.
    Excellent post! At least somebody around here gets the point. This thread was put here for no other reason but to inspire others. Keep dreaming my friend...it gives life far more meaning.

  14. #64
    Energizer Bunnie
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,009
    Originally posted by gopro
    This thread was put here for no other reason but to inspire others. Keep dreaming my friend...it gives life far more meaning.
    Gopro, your original post was just what I needed to get me through my session this morning after being away for a couple of weeks. I found it extremely motivating.....its such a shame that such a fine post went downhill at such a rapid rate

    Anyway, keep smiling sunshine
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

    A Work In Progress....II

    DailyDiet

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by Franjipani


    Gopro, your original post was just what I needed to get me through my session this morning after being away for a couple of weeks. I found it extremely motivating.....its such a shame that such a fine post went downhill at such a rapid rate

    Anyway, keep smiling sunshine
    Always smiling...even in the face of negativity spewed forth at me. Anyway, I am TRULY GLAD that my post helped you through a workout. The post was meant to motivate and if I did that for just a few people then all the crap was worth it!

  16. #66
    Senior Member Accipiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Posts
    4,076
    the post itself was fine, I agree, but it does need a couple appendices to make it applicable.

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by Accipiter
    the post itself was fine, I agree, but it does need a couple appendices to make it applicable.
    Ok.

  18. #68
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    I am dreaming and thinking all the time that next monday I am going to do 10 reps with 50kgs incline dumbell press, I want to make it , I want to make it, I want to make it so badly, I am going to tell all the other guys at the gym to look at me when I am going to do it next monday.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  19. #69
    beercan
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    retirement home
    Posts
    236
    Originally posted by Santiago
    I have no problem beleiving anyone's lifts....if they were done in a meet, that is . GoPro, there is a meet in Oceanside NY, on December 7, right around the corner from you, if I'm not mistaken. Why don't you and your partner enter and win, and show the powerlifters that they're just wasting thier time. They would be wasting thier time, of course, since there's so many people training like bodybuilders that are stronger than them.
    The truth doesn't go away when you ignore it. tuttut
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by Santiago


    The truth doesn't go away when you ignore it. tuttut
    Do you think I am ignoring your silly post...ooops, I guess your right, I'm ignoring it...well, up till now anyway.

    My partner and I have no interest in doing a powerlifting meet. We are bodybuilders and have no interest in how much we can lift for one rep. I certainly don't care at age 34. I lift to hypertrophy...yes I love being strong but feel no need to prove it to anyone.

    And your remark about "showing powerlifters they are wasting their time" is so inane its scary. There are tons of bodybuilders out there that happen to be able to outlift a lot of powerlifters, but that does not make it seem a if powerlifters are wasting their time...especially in the moronic way you put it.

    In fact we can turn it around and look at the many powerlifters out there that happen to have equal to or better physiques than alot of bodybuilders I know...yup amazingly enough these things happen even if it seems it shouldn't.

    Ok, that ends my dialogue with you....NEXT!

  21. #71
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,323
    I don't think Go Pro's claim is that far off if at all.
    For those of you who read my journal you'd know that I had a conversation with a guy at my gym and he gave me some tips and a program to use for my bench since it's my worst lift. Anyways he benches 405x4 reps at a bodyweight of 210. He's about 5'8 maybe. Yes I've witnessed him doing it. No he doesn't use AS, but for those who feel they must refute this lift then I guess you can accuse him of steroid use.
    The fellow who I use in my pictures in some of articles is about 240 and is 40 years old now. He is a monster when it comes to lifting. I believe at a weight of 290 back in the day he was benching 505x5 reps.
    Sure he weighed more then Go Pro but it's still a reasonable lift. I've also seen him lift on a regular basis and it's absolutely sick watching him lift because everything he does is so smooth, controlled and effortless.

    Anyways, believe what you want.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 10-16-2002 at 06:13 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Well Maki, I know you and I have had our "differences," but thank you for not letting it stand in the way of making a reasonable, intelligent post...especially one in which "I" am concerned.

  23. #73
    Hungry BCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    This initially was a good post. I enjoyed it as good read.

    Generally, I'm not a very confrontational person, but....all I can say from watching gopro is...you are full of ****, and pseudo-ignorant.

    That is all.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."


    In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    This initially was a good post. I enjoyed it as good read.

    Generally, I'm not a very confrontational person, but....all I can say from watching gopro is...you are full of ****, and pseudo-ignorant.

    That is all.
    Awwww...another fan. I'll have that autographed pic out to ya as soon as possible, K?

  25. #75
    grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    163
    Just for the record I printed out the original post and put it on the refrigerator at home. As I said before excellent origianl post ! but I don't understand how the original turned into a gopro bashing session. At least give credit where credit is due. Who gives a rat's *ss how much weight someone can lift or if your using juice or not. That wasn't what the original post was about.

    <climbs down off soap box>
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •