Thread: It's time to bulk...

It's time to bulk...

I was in the gym yesterday and a guy started talking to me about how it's going to be a good winter. He asked me if I bulk during the winter, and I told him that I only started working out last December, which was actually to LOSE weight. Now, though, since I've gone from 225lbs to 194lbs, I think maybe winter would be a good time to do some major bulking. So, what do you guys suggest? I've seen that a lot of you support HST, but to be honest, I really don't know exactly what that is. What the theory behind it is, or anything. So, please feel free to enlighten me on HST and any other bulking routines with which you've had success.

Generally the cycle most regular lifters go through is to bulk when summer is over through winter, then start cutting in spring in hopes of coming out bigger and more ripped in the summer.

Some studies have shown the potentially the body stores fat better in cold weather and your body releases chemicals the increase appetite at least some during autumn and winter. People trying to lose weight during winter have had problems with motivation and keeping to the routine in these studies, while people tested in summer found it much easier.

I just like to look good when I go swimmin or to the beach in summer, so either way it works.

Just slowly up your caloric intake and keep watching the scales. You generally don't want to gain too much in a short time period, but you want to keep progressing to. Try for at least 1-3lbs a week. Look into creatine, it'll help somewhat your weight gains. You're strength should progress well to. Keep the same basic bodybuilding guidlines that are given all over this site, and go intense with your training. Recouperation is a very big deal when bulking, keep that in mind.

About all the cycle thing...well, its not a MUST to bulk on winters and cut summers. I used to think that way. its insane! YOU have different needs then the person next to you. I for example, is winter..and i jsut started to cut..why? because if i bulk then all ill do is store even more fat. not wise

dont always listen to what others have to say. Look at yourself in the mirror and YOU decide if you need to bulk or cut!
    Last edited by beastin v6; 10-17-2002 at 03:18 PM.

Here is a link to the HST website

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Make sure you spend some time reading this article. They also have a forum you can visit. I am starting my first cycle of HST next Tuesday. It will also be the first time I have ever eaten with bulking in mind. I am very anxious to see what kind of results I get with this as I have never bulked or used HST.

Jerry

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.