Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mind in Lifting...

Hybrid View

The Mind in Lifting...

99 % of the training forum is dedicated to technique, exercises, routines, etc, as it should be. However, what can really set apart the good from the monumental...a great workout from a mind boggling one, is in your mind. Here are some things to remember when going to the gym...

1-BE POSITIVE...go into the gym with a good attitude toward training. Believe you will do better. Believe this workout will bring you closer to your goals.

2-VISUALIZE...before you get to the gym "see yourself" in your mind's eye lifting heavier, feeling stronger, and successfully completing all sets in your workout.

3-BE AGGRESSIVE...don't just lift the weights, attack them! Treat every rep as if it were your last. Lift like your life is on the line. Do whatever it takes to psych yourself up...yell, growl, think about things that piss you off, hit yourself in the head...get mad!

4-FOCUS...don't talk while lifting. Don't look around. Think about what you are doing, the muscle you are working. The mind muscle connection is REAL!

5-DON'T GET DOWN...if you don't break a record or don't have a great first set, DO NOT let that set the tone for the rest of your workout! Regroup. Leave failure behind. KNOW your next set will be better, and that each set after that will be EVEN BETTER!

6-DON'T GET COMPLACENT...pat yourself on the back after a great set or productive workout, but then, think to yourself how you will destroy your accomplishments in this workout in your next one. Your body is very adaptive, you must push further to progress to the next level.

7-DREAM...don't set limits. F the studies that say you can only get "so big." Screw those that say you can only grow really huge if on steroids. Your body is only limited by where your mind is willing to take you. There are no limits!!!!!!!!!!!!

bone crusher
    when it comes to training i strive for this as much as possible (well at least 1-6)...

# 7 well, i say dream within reason... i mean dont expect to be 300+ lean pounds until you get to 250+ lean pounds...lol

Great post gopro, lots of good info there man---seriously.

NICE POST

"Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

great stuff
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

My mental problem is that sometimes I give up too easily on a set.
    You have to be mentally determined enough to reach your physical limit in eac set.
    If your mind gives in at the final moments of the set, you often shortchange yourself.

Be determined - but I guess that is part of being focussed too.

The Tuna Tempter
    good post gopro.
    Life's too short to be small

Simplistic
    Originally posted by Shocker
    My mental problem is that sometimes I give up too easily on a set.
    You have to be mentally determined enough to reach your physical limit in eac set.
    If your mind gives in at the final moments of the set, you often shortchange yourself.

Be determined - but I guess that is part of being focussed too.
    I had the same problem when I started a low volume high intensity routine. I think training heavy and to failure requires extreme mental strength.

Good post gopro

#1 in this game is the proper mind set. I try to go to the gym with the above in mind each day. I'm glad you guys like the post!

I agree.

In any field you will find that the most successfull people within that particular field have an extraordinary mindset.

Arnold is a GREAT example.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

"think about things that piss you off, hit yourself in the head...get mad!"

Is hitting yourself also became an aspect of weightlifting now ?
    Doesnt it hurt when you smash those dumbles to the head ?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: The Mind in Lifting...

Originally posted by gopro
    7-DREAM...don't set limits. F the studies that say you can only get "so big." Screw those that say you can only grow really huge if on steroids. Your body is only limited by where your mind is willing to take you. There are no limits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good in theory but not in practice. Someone standing 5 feet tall and weighing 90 lbs, is never going to develop the physique of Ronnie Coleman or even come close to some of the people on this board. This is especially true when the person is not using gear. I applaud what you are trying to say, but one should set realistic limits/goals for oneself. A TRUE mindset of "there are no limits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" will end in overtraining, injury, giving up, or all three. So realistic limits are a better idea, and should one reach those limits, well then he/she always has the option of changing/surpassing those limits

I respectfully disagree with your thinking. No, not everyone can look like Ronnie or play ball like Jordan, but you will never know what you can accomplish if you set limits. Setting goals is fine and should be done...but as soon as you attain that goal you should be looking to surpass it. Nobody thought the 5 minute mile could EVER be broken, but apparently someone felt they could and then went and did it. Consequently, it then got broken over and over...hence the power of the mind.

I will NEVER set limits on what I can accomplish...I hope most of you don't either!

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Excellent post gopro !!!! It's mind over matter. If your mind doesn't believe then it just doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Joey G.; 10-11-2002 at 07:45 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I disagree with that. I might believe I could bench press 500 pounds, but if I attempted to do that, I would kill myself. Having a realistic idea of one's capabilities and THEN attempting to improve said capabilities is a far better way to go about it. Mind over matter only goes so far, and not as far as people like to think. BTW I believe that was the FOUR minute mile, not five.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-11-2002 at 07:49 AM.

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Mind over matter only goes so far, and not as far as people like to think.
    I agree 100% but if a person can bench 250x10 they should be able to put up 275 with no problem. Now if that weight intimadates them in any way because they have never done it before and their mind says they can't do it, more than likely they will fail and not make the lift. Just my humble opinion and of course you must think realisticly. Putting up 250x10 and then attempting 500 is just stupid.

Slow and steady wins the race!
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

Well, to each his own. Setting no limits does not mean being unrealistic. I know that no matter how much I may want to believe I can bench 1000 lbs it will never happen...but I guarentee that it those with the dreamer, there are no limit mindsets, that get closest to the "unbelievable."

good post gopro. I agree with the mind over matter. I don't mean just deciding u can bench 500 and then attempting it, setting a realistic target, reaching it and then setting a new target. If u can reach one target, then it stands to reason that u can reach the next target and the 1 after that.

good post
    "Citius, Altius, Fortius"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

I definatly beleive in mind over matter. People who don't, don't push themselves hard enough. Just cause your muscles are burning doesn't mean they are done.
    I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape

Fighting isn't fun... It's just fun to watch

"The hardest part is getting started" -me

I'm glad at least most of you see what I'm getting at with this post.

Unfortunately, believing something doesn't make it come true. You can be as positive as you wish, but the body has limits. That is why people get injured, get sick, and eventually die. In my opinion, the romantic idea of not limiting oneself is just that, a romantic idea. I believe that people should be more objective and rational. For instance, I have a number in my head as to what I can deadlift naturally. That number is based upon my current level of development, and what I have pulled recently. It is a realistic expectation based upon what I know about my body. It is not some "pie in the sky" figure based upon wishful thinking. Thinking big is fine, just make it a realistic big based upon what can really be done. Don't base it upon unrealistic expectations created by people who like to present false pictures. I will give a perfect example, Franco Santoriello, the Franco of Cybergenics fame. He is in a current ad for a myostatin inhibitor where he claims to be "all natural". Well, discounting the muscle tears which have permanently disfigured him, he looks as big as he did when he admitted to using drugs. Hmmm, I don't think so. He isn't natural, but his swearing about it will create unrealistic expectations in the thousands of teens (and adults) who read those ads. Bad deal.

Well Chris, what can I say. You and I are VERY different people. Whatever works for ya...

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I'll bet if we told Belial a year ago that he was going to be deadlifting 535 pounds for a double this week, he would have laughed and thanked us for the compliment. I'll bet if you told benchmonster a year ago he was going to bench 525 in a competition he would have been skeptical. And yet they both did it. If you put your mind to a 500 bench, then do just that, put your mind to it. Don't expect to do it TOMORROW, but put your mind to it and DO IT. Just because it's a goal doesn't mean it has to be a goal for NEXT WEEK. Benching 500 is a goal of mine, I won't lie. I also know that at 25 years old I have a lot of time to reach that goal, so I don't expect to do it next year, but I do expect to do it. And I will.

2-VISUALIZE...before you get to the gym "see yourself" in your mind's eye lifting heavier, feeling stronger, and successfully completing all sets in your workout.

3-BE AGGRESSIVE...don't just lift the weights, attack them! Treat every rep as if it were your last. Lift like your life is on the line. Do whatever it takes to psych yourself up...yell, growl, think about things that piss you off, hit yourself in the head...get mad!
    Nice post, gopro. Above are the two points that I think are the most important ones in progressing and having a good productive workout. In doing a low volume, high intesity routine, you have to psych yourself up to the fullest before your heavy set. I almost go into a trance, taking deep breaths, visualizing myself blowing through the reps and feeling my muscles growing bigger. Hell, I've seen guys almost knock themselves out by whacking their heads on the bar when psyching themselves up for a heavy set of squats...

However, as much as I think dreaming is an important aspect of living, I think, also, that Chris makes a valid point. There are limits to what individuals physically can achieve. I am all for exploring those limits and progressing every day, but people have to beware the pie-in-the-sky dream that many disingenuous, supposedly 'natural' professional bodybuilders try to perpetuate in order to hawk some new supplement or product.

I am glad that most of you agree with and understand what the point of this post is. I would never have accomplished what I have without the mindset I speak about above...
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 10-12-2002 at 02:24 PM.