The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

What is wrong with me?

Ok, heres the deal. Im a scrawny ass punk. Im 5' 10" and only 150lbs. I have a pic of my body type here http://63.196.85.6/images/Squareroot1.jpg

But anyhow, I eat close to 5k calories, and I work out every day alternating upper and lower body parts. I havent gotten bigger nor gained any weight. Id gain a few pounds but lose them again the next week. Whats wrong with me? All I want is to gain a good 25lbs of muscle, and Ive been working at it for I dont know how long.

Any help, suggestions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if your workin upper body/lower body 2 day split everyday ur problem is that youre not gettin enough revovery time, you grow in the kitchen and the bed not the weightroom
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 10-11-2002 at 01:47 AM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Wannabebig Member
    No no, I mean Ill work shoulders, triceps biceps and forearms one day. then the next day I work quads calves, butt, and back. Then the next day Ill do an aerobics and chest workout with some other stuff thrown in. I mean, its a good routine I think. I seperate the time pretty well. I give a good 3 days for a part to heal or so.

You should probably take 4-7 days off between each part. If you're not growing, eat more. Apparently your metabolism is pretty fast and you're not gaining fat, so eating more is probably going to help.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Thursday:legs/shoulders
    Monday:back/bi
    Tuesday:chest/tri's

that's how I go.

And if you're 150 lbs. aerobics might not be the best idea right now.

Originally posted by SquareRoot
    No no, I mean Ill work shoulders, triceps biceps and forearms one day. then the next day I work quads calves, butt, and back. Then the next day Ill do an aerobics and chest workout with some other stuff thrown in. I mean, its a good routine I think. I seperate the time pretty well. I give a good 3 days for a part to heal or so.
    First off, you are overtraining, pure and simple. You need to cut back on your training to 2-3 days per week. You need to perform no more than 3 sets to failure (not counting warmup) per bodypart. If you are a scrawny guy, you are insane to be performing aerobics.

Do not!

Keep eating as you are, but make sure to consume enough fat in your diet. Make sure to include either squats or deadlifts in your routine. If you do these things you will grow, if not, you will continue as you have been, period, end of story.

Wannabebig Member
    Aerobics are bad? I always thought that working your cardiovascular was a good idea. Gotta keep your heart and lungs strong, right? So I should eat *more* and train less often? Ill give it a try.

I find it highly unlikely that you consume 5k calories per day. What exactly does a day of eating include for you? How many meals per day do you eat?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by SquareRoot
    Aerobics are bad? I always thought that working your cardiovascular was a good idea. Gotta keep your heart and lungs strong, right? So I should eat *more* and train less often? Ill give it a try.

Here is the question you must ask yourself, do you want size or optimal health? Sounds bad, but it is true. If you want to gain size you will need to quit the aerobics for now.

A. F.
    health? what's that?

Girlz Luv 2 Ride With Me
    all i can say is eat, its working wonders for me....look at my pics on this board; i looked almost like you (even though im same height, and weigh less, i think i can see more on myself....)
    Current Stats
    Weight: 146 lbs | Bodyfat: 13%
    Bicep Unflexed: 11.8" | Waist: 31" | Neck: 15" | Thigh: 21" | Calf: 13.4" | Chest (Underarm) 37"

Goals
    Weight: 178 lbs | Bodyfat: 8%
    Bicep Unflexed: 15.5" | Neck: 16.0" | Thigh: 25" | Calf: 16" | Chest (Underarm) 44"

Wannabebig Member
    I eat about 5 meals a day, good size meals, not little snacks. I will admit I average 4300 calories. I have so far this month. Last month was 4800. I eat a lot. Ill take the advice of more fat intake and no aerobics.

Oh yeah... My meals include a large breakfast of eggs, bacon/ham (I change it sometimes). Toast, pancakes/waffles milk and orange juice with either a side of melon or a side or grapes and strawberries. Then prelunch I like to eat fast food usually. Ill eat a footlong sub (or two) from Subway or Mr. Goodcents with a soda usually. Postlunch is usually something simple like a couple big macs for fat. Lunch changes all the time, nothing in particular though, just whereever I seem to be. Dinner is usually a salad, potatoes, meat, and milk. Hearty end to a good day. I eat desert as well, and this is where a lot of empty calories come in. I like candy, a lot. Anything sweet like chocolate, or Little Debbie cakes or something. Its my one true vice!!

I work out every morning before breakfast @ 6am. I go to college for a few hours (4) and play some hackey sack after lunch (friday I had fish, rice, salad, bread, and pasta, yummy!!)

Ive always been a skinny kid, though. I eat a lot of protein and carbs. Maybe thats my downfall? I eat too many meals and should go down to 3 large ones? Let me know, please!!

If I were you, I would be going for 7 meals. 3 would be your downfall.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Wannabebig Member
    Jeeezuuuus! I can barely eat 5. Im usually pretty content with my meals, I dont think I can up it any more. If I cut the meals in size, I can do it, but otherwise, no way...

Grasshoppa
    I'd say start learning to eat clean too. Your diet seems to consist of a lot of saturated fats. Have you counted cals for a day and seen the macro breakdowns?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Yes... Im averaging 4300 cals per day so far this month.

i'd say your macro breakdown is "whacked"(i.e., not ideal diet to gain muscle mass)
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    Ahh.. I understand.

You macro breakdown has nothing to do with it.

Read my ******* post again, pull your head out of your ass and do exactly what I said.

Or, be a squid, your choice.

Man, it pisses me off when people ask for advice and then don't take it. Listen, I know wtf I am talking about. You have a fast metabolism (obviously), you are not going to gain size training the way you do and performing all of the other physical tasks you do (running, playing hackey sack etc.). For someone like you the motto is, "Don't run if you can walk, don't walk if you can sit, and don't sit if you can lie.".

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, first dont be an ass about it. I obviously dont know what I am doing, otherwise I wouldnt have come here. Second, I want all the help I can get. Theres a reason people go to doctors for second opinions. Third, I never said "Ok, I will keep doing all the things you told me not to."

How about *YOU* pull your head out of your ass, and calm down. Im usually a pretty docile person until someone picks on me.

Squareroot, let me be the one to give you your second opinion. If you want to get bigger and stronger, do as Chris Mason says. He is very knowledgable when it comes to bodybuilding and weight training.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright sounds good. Ill take the advice. Thanks for your time everyone.