The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

how to become man beast

OK, here goes

I am a 20-year-old college student. I am 6 foot 180 pounds. I am looking to ďbe big.Ē I am pretty thin, when I tell most people I am 180 they usually donít believe it. I hide my muscle really well. I have been lifting for about 4 years now and really havenít made the kind of gains I wanted to.

Last semester I hurt my chest. I went to see a doctor and he told me to take a break and only do 4 sets of 20 when I did chest. I took this opportunity to lift less and run more over the summer, getting in the area of like 30 miles a week. So I lost a bunch of weight over the summer. So know I find my self in the middle of the semester and I donít really have any direction in my lifting. I do have some things I want to do, but donít know how to work them all in together. The things I want to do are as fallowsÖ

1. Do more compound exercises. Dead lifts, squats, military press, ect
    2. Have a specific day just for arms
    3. Take Tuesdays & Thursdays off, because of my class/work schedule
    4. Start doing my abs. Which is something I have never done out side of practice
    5. Be a man beast!!!

Some other things you might want to consider when answering my question

1. I have a really bad diet, I have no time to or knowledge of how to cook for my self, and so pop tarts are a key element in my life.
    2. I really like to run and probably wont be able to cut it down to anything less then 15-20 miles a week
    3. I drink once or twice a week

Could some one please help me out and set me up with a routine??????

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wrestler
    Your going to have to make some changes in your life, espicially with drinking. Some people will say that you can't gain while running that much, thats crap if you ask me. The running will keep the fat off. There is a lot of educated people on this board when it comes to routines, Paul Stagg helped me out alot. Check out WBB routines and maybe some journals, you can check out mine in my sig. Im going routine #1, its basic and works!

I haven't done ab training in like 6 months, but I will be starting up again soon and I found the best method for me was a variety of exercises with no weights. Hanging leg raises, crunches, reverse crunches, crunches with twists, leg lifts, I would do crunches two other exercises, crunches then two other exercies, then crunches and two other ab exercises and be done for the week. Good form is the key with abs, on crunches you don't have to come all the way up, just lift your shoulders off the ground, it works the abs more!
    Last edited by waterbuckat; 10-12-2002 at 05:13 PM.
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

My Journal

God Bless!

wrestler

Re: how to become man beast

Originally posted by College_GuyPKS
    OK, here goes

I am a 20-year-old college student. I am 6 foot 180 pounds. I am looking to ďbe big.Ē I am pretty thin, when I tell most people I am 180 they usually donít believe it. I hide my muscle really well. I have been lifting for about 4 years now and really havenít made the kind of gains I wanted to.

Last semester I hurt my chest. I went to see a doctor and he told me to take a break and only do 4 sets of 20 when I did chest. I took this opportunity to lift less and run more over the summer, getting in the area of like 30 miles a week. So I lost a bunch of weight over the summer. So know I find my self in the middle of the semester and I donít really have any direction in my lifting. I do have some things I want to do, but donít know how to work them all in together. The things I want to do are as fallowsÖ

1. Do more compound exercises. Dead lifts, squats, military press, ect
    2. Have a specific day just for arms
    3. Take Tuesdays & Thursdays off, because of my class/work schedule
    4. Start doing my abs. Which is something I have never done out side of practice
    5. Be a man beast!!!

Some other things you might want to consider when answering my question

1. I have a really bad diet, I have no time to or knowledge of how to cook for my self, and so pop tarts are a key element in my life.
    2. I really like to run and probably wont be able to cut it down to anything less then 15-20 miles a week
    3. I drink once or twice a week

Could some one please help me out and set me up with a routine??????
    When I changed my split and gave arms there own specific days they blew up! I would definitly recommend trying it.
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

My Journal

God Bless!

College GuyPKS, here is the Wannabebig routine #1. I highly recommend it.

• Day 1(Monday) : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps
      Run day?

Day 2(Tuesday) : OFF

Day 3(Wed) : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4(Thur) : OFF

Day 5(Fri) : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
      French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
      Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6(Sat) : OFF Run day?
      Day 7(Sun) : OFF Run day?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abs to be done on any training day of personal choice.

Crunches : 4 x 8-10 reps

I take it your chest injury has healed? If not, then you may need to alter the chest routine a little.

Also, you need to eat food, and a lot of it(preferably something better than poptarts) if you are looking to gain some muscle mass. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Craig James; 10-12-2002 at 05:28 PM.

Grasshoppa
    You need to eat a lot of food and eat clean. Having pop tarts as a hefty part of your diet isn't advisable.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Yep. #1's your biggest downfall. If you don't have time to educate yourself to eat properly, then you don't have time to be "man beast."
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

College_Guy,

Take a look at a sprinter's body, then take a look at a long distance runner's body. Who do you want to look like the most?

The Sprinter!

Then why are you running at low intensity for so long. Go do some wind sprints for cardio, instead of running for miles. By running for such long periods, your body is trying to become efficient by shedding unneeded fat and muscle. You are essentially converting your fast twitch muscle fibres, from lifting weights, to slow twitch muscle fibres by running for so long. You are pretty much working against your own body.

Wannabebig Member
    Wow, thanks guys. This should be a great help. I do need to work on my diet. Actually I was wondering if any of you had any specific way you break your down?

I used to eat 30 grams of protein every 3 hours. But lately I havenít really been able to do that. My schedule is weird so that some times I will be in class/work for like 7 hours with no real chance to sit down and eat a real meal. I would say the biggest problem in my diet is I eat random meals of different size and nutritional content through out the day. Also I find my self eating things that are just convenient. Not to mention I am too poor to afford anything good, like protein bars.

I know what youíre all going to say, canned tuna fish. But I am sick of it. I am sick of smelling like it, I am sick the way it tastes, I am sick of having to run around looking for can opener (which can be a problem when you live with 20 of your fraternity brothers), and I am sick of eating like a cat. What do you guys think?

Thanks

ďIf you can hear a piano fall you can hear me coming down the hallĒ

You're exactly right. The first thing I was going to say was to trade in the pop tarts for tuna. You can also get canned chicken. It tastes different. It has more fat in it, but you'll burn that off with that much running anyway. Also, I would suggest, with that much running, that you eat a lot more. If you're thin, eat some carbs. Brown rice and sweet potatoes are good for that. Try something like this. 4 egg whites and 1 cup of oatmeal for breakfast at 7:00am. Then a protein shake at 9am. Grilled chicken and brown rice for lunch. Another protein shake around 3pm. I work out around 6-8pm and then eat another high protein meal. I also take Cell-Tech after workouts. You may want to try some form of creatine as well.

College_Guy:

Quite honestly it doesn't sound like you current lifestyle would support your desire to get "really huge". Just the Pop Tart comment confirms this suspicion.

You can improve your physique though.

I'd suggest:

- Low volume workouts (1 compound movement of 2 sets)
    - High frequency workouts (3x weekly)
    - Graduated intensity workouts (HST is worth a look)
    - Minimal amounts of long duration cardio (cross training ?)
    - Eat protein and a complex carb. source at each meal
    - Eat 6+ smaller meals per day

* Get your post workout replenishment beverage & meals (thats plural) down to a science (these are important to your success)

*Set reasonable goals which coinside with your current lifestyle
    Best Regards,

Wannabebig Member
    yeah, I am going to have to rethink the way I am doing things. But that is what I wanted to do all along.

Thanks the help

Later
    Dylan

Wannabebig Member
    yeah, I am going to have to rethink the way I am doing things. But that is what I wanted to do all along.

Thanks for the help, you guys answered a lot fo questions I was wondering about

Later
    Dylan