The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my biceps are not growing??

hi ive been weight traing for about 1 month now

and noticed my biceps are not growing??

im doing alot of dumbell and alot of bicep training

is it too soon????

also can i use protein powder as a meal replacment???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

moved to training.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Make sure you are getting enough rest. You said that you are doing a lot of bicep work, make sure you don't overtrain them. Try doing it just once a week or try something like Chris Masons arm routine. -> http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=66
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Grasshoppa
    I'd also wait longer than a month for the biggest noticeable gains. Are you progressing in weights with each week? You're not just using the same weight from week to week?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

do not expect one body part to grow if the rest of your body is not growing.

if other body parts are growing, your gaining LBM etc. then your caloric intake is sufficient and the problem lies in either your training or rest/recovery

Well, tell us your routine and we'll see if we can fix it!

Simplistic
    Is the rest of your body growing?

try training them less...when it comes to lifting...less can be more!
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

I'm assuming your lifts are increasing, but you're wondering why your size is not keeping up. In the first month or so of lifting, the gains in lifting ability are due to nervous system adaptation and "learning," not as much due to gains in muscle mass. At two or three months your gains will plateau for a bit, and then when they take off again they'll be due to increased muscle strength and mass. That's when you'll start seeing real gains in muscle size.

Make sure you're working out your entire body. We joke here about curl jockeys that concentrate exclusively on biceps and chest exercises. Your arms won't grow much unless you also work on the big muscles- back and thighs. You should be devoting lots of workout time to squats and/or deadlifts, and chinups and rows. When these big muscles get bigger, so will your arms and shoulders. Take a look at the WannaBeBig routines on the mother website.

Hope this helps.

Missed your protein powder question. The best sources of protein are meat, chicken, fish, etc. The protein powder can be used to supplement your meals, but it should not be thought of as a replacement. Recommendations vary, but your total protein intake should generally be 1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight per day.

Simplistic
    That seems pretty high, Delphi. I'd recommend .8-1g per pound of bodyweight.

That could work, too. I've hear one per, and two per pound. I'm not aware of any studies proving one way to be superior to the other. Come to think of it, my intake is closer to one. An argument could be made that if two isn't proven to be better, than it may be spending extra money for no more of a proven benefit.

I'd recommend no less than 1.5g/lb
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

thanx guys ive been trying to go up in weight but i notice these things,

im only a begginer so i cant lift really heavy weights

1, when im trying to lift heavyer weights it seems i can only manage half of the reps i were doing previously?
    i.e one week i do 4 x15 reps (30lb dumbell curls on each arm) next week i try and go up in weight and try 4 x 15 ( 35lb dumbell curls) but can only manage 4 x 6-7 reps, so i uselly go back down and get the most reps i can manage,
    as i figured 4 x 15 30 lb dumbell curls is better than 4 x 6 35 lb dumbell curls.

2, i find it very strange that when i start my workout and say do 4 x 15 30 lb dumbell curls on each arm, when i go to the next set (incline bench press) or (barbell curl) my arms just seem to be dead? and can only manage 2-3?? it really gets me down when that happens and its also embarassing when theres a packed gym, seeing other people doing it fine

just wondering if u guys experianced that?
    Last edited by jjcool; 10-13-2002 at 08:54 PM.

1. There's an inverse relationship between the weight you lift and the number of reps you can do with that weight. Perfectly normal.

2. Also normal to be able to less work the second set. How much time are you waiting between sets? You might need more time. The drop-off is more pronounced if you go to failure the first set (lifting until you can't do anymore reps with good form).

In general it's harder to do a lift with dumbbels than with a barbell. At first you might get better results with sticking to the barbell on lifts that can be done with a barbell.

Why don't you post what your routine is? We might be able to give you some pointers.

i uselly go to failure the first set

thanx Delphi
    but i dont mean to be dumb but some of the machines i do not know the names of concidering i new to this,
    and i cant seem to find a good site that lists alot of machine names?
    otherwize i would be happy to post my routine
    Last edited by jjcool; 10-13-2002 at 09:09 PM.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar

Thank You

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    I'd recommend no less than 1.5g/lb

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    I'm sure the supplement industry wouldn't recommend anything less than 1.5g/lb either.

Are we squatting?

Are we eating enough?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by jjcool
    thanx guys ive been trying to go up in weight but i notice these things,

im only a begginer so i cant lift really heavy weights

1, when im trying to lift heavyer weights it seems i can only manage half of the reps i were doing previously?
    i.e one week i do 4 x15 reps (30lb dumbell curls on each arm) next week i try and go up in weight and try 4 x 15 ( 35lb dumbell curls) but can only manage 4 x 6-7 reps, so i uselly go back down and get the most reps i can manage,
    as i figured 4 x 15 30 lb dumbell curls is better than 4 x 6 35 lb dumbell curls.

2, i find it very strange that when i start my workout and say do 4 x 15 30 lb dumbell curls on each arm, when i go to the next set (incline bench press) or (barbell curl) my arms just seem to be dead? and can only manage 2-3?? it really gets me down when that happens and its also embarassing when theres a packed gym, seeing other people doing it fine

just wondering if u guys experianced that?
    Judging by this post, it seems you may not have a very good overall routine in place. Can you tell us what your complete workout looks like?

thanx i dont really have a set routine but here goes

monday - arms, chest

wedsday - legs, abs

friday, - back, shoulders,

sunday - arms chest, (if recovered)
    Last edited by jjcool; 10-14-2002 at 07:59 AM.

You said you're doing four sets of 15? It may just be me, but I think I'd go up to the 35lb dumbbells and do 4 sets of 12. Also, several people have suggested training your biceps only once a week. I think that's good advice if you have a certain body type. Are you a small guy? Thin? Or are you a bigger guy. Naturally a little heavy? I would think that if you're a bigger guy, twice a week would be better for you. Either way, I like to stick to a 4-exercises per body part routine. Meaning, if you do back and biceps on the same day, do 4 exercises for your back, then 4 for your biceps. Include straight barbell curls. I think most would agree that those are probably the overall best bicep exercise. I usually do straight BB curls, incline alternative DB curls, Cambared bar preacher curls and standing cambared bar curls. You could even superset the last two if you want. Try different things, don't get discouraged after just s month. Whatever you end up doing will take time.

Originally posted by jjcool
    thanx i dont really have a set routine but here goes

monday - arms, chest

wedsday - legs, abs

friday, - back, shoulders,

sunday - arms chest, (if recovered)
    Ok, so what are your exercises, sets, and reps for chest and arm day. What order is everything done in?

Heres what I do, not a lot of direct arm work, but works for me

squat 3x8
    sldl 3x8 (straight leg deadlifts)
    calf raise 3x10
    leg press 3x8 ass to heels, lighter than squats
    ab crunch (weighted)

rest/cardio

bench 3x8
    shoulderpress 3x8 (dumbells)
    tricep pushdowns 3x8
    pec flys, 3x8
    dips, (to failure)
    + cable laterals, if feeling mighty

rest/cardio

deadlifts 3x8
    pullups/assisted, 3x8
    seated row 3x8
    curls 3x8
    ab crunch (weighted

Train 3 days a week, eat loads, grow=nice

Experts please feel free to comment on my training plan, all advice welcome
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code