Thread: Hurt my shoulder, need routine suggestions

Hurt my shoulder, need routine suggestions

Hurt my left shoulder. Not sure how, it's not the muscle, looks like the joint. I can still do a variety of movements with my shoulder without the pain kciking in, but I can't bench. It hurst when I bench and it just stope me from even lifting the bar off.
    peck deck seems o.k for me to do. tried a reverse peck deck, for deltoids and that hurt.

I still need to work my chest and delts, anyone got any suggestions that won't hurt my shoulder?
    Only two things I can think of are lat pulls and the peck deck, but its not enough.
    Train.

Well since nobody gave me any suggestions.
    I'll let you guys know that I have found replacement exercises for the bench.
    I do peck deck and cable cross.
    cable cross feels great
    Train.

Wannabebig Member
    could be a # of things. I had a problem recently myself. Just use dumbbells and don't do ANY overhead movements for awhile. Do rotator cuff exercises every other day. Light ones, high reps. Ice after workouts. Ibuprofen 800mg 3x's/day. Try these 5 or 6 movements for 6-8 wks. Do them first thing when you walk into the gym. 1)incline db press 2) bent over db rows, do these standing, with your forehead supported on the back of an upright seat 3)do these standing..light db's, start with you thumbs touching in front of you, db's touching your thighs, and move the weight like a lat raise, but rotate your arms and touch your thumbs above your head, slowly lower the weight back to starting position 4) light db's, hang to side, thumbs facing forward, move weight behind, then raise forward to overhead, slowly lower weight 5) good old shrugs, you don't wanna be too light on these, but don't use a workout weight.

Do these 5 plus normal internal, external rotator cuff exercises every other day, ice, ibuprofen(or another anti-inflammatory) for 6-8 wks and you should be good to go. I got this from an orthopedist I work with and am feeling better every week.
    "Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No-one was there."

How much time you think I should give my shoulder to heal before I try to bench again.
    It's been 4 days so far, seems to still linger a bit.
    I'm thinking sometime next week I'll try to bench.
    I'm really diggin the cable cross right now though. That thing is fun!
    Train.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by Nivs
    Just use dumbbells and don't do ANY overhead movements for awhile.
    awesome advice here

Originally posted by Ti1301
    How much time you think I should give my shoulder to heal before I try to bench again.

***3x longer then you think

It's been 4 days so far, seems to still linger a bit.
    I'm thinking sometime next week I'll try to bench.

***very bad idea

I'm really diggin the cable cross right now though. That thing is fun!

***use the db's for a few weeks the cables won't put significant mass on you but you had the right idea in switching it up
    don't take this thing lightly I had issues with my shoulder for a year

don't take this thing lightly I had issues with my shoulder for a year
    Yeah I'd hate to hurt myself to the point where it is nigh permanent.
    I'll take you guys advice and give it 2 more weeks before I work my shoulder in any way.
    Just to let you guys know the peck deck combined with the cable cross is giving me some real nice work outs. I might not even gio back to the bench after my shoulder has healed.....
    Train.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Are you doing your rotator cuff exercises?

What is a rotator cuff exercise?
    Train.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    See the link above and perform at least external rotation for the rest of your lifting days, a couple of times a week at worst.

I prefer the low pulley variation, which you can find in exsr.net.

Originally posted by Ti1301
    Just to let you guys know the peck deck combined with the cable cross is giving me some real nice work outs.
    if you really want to take it easy then this is a good idea but if you want to grow this will not cut it...

if you have to take more time off then db presses, incline barbell and decline barbell should be easier on your shoulder

if you really want to take it easy then this is a good idea but if you want to grow this will not cut it...

if you have to take more time off then db presses, incline barbell and decline barbell should be easier on your shoulder
    Why would this not be enough to make my muscle grow? Both exercises focus on the chest and after a week I am seeing better results then with the bench and peck deck combo. Cable cross is really giving me some more noticable results.
    Btw the incline and decline still hurt my shoulder a bit, I just tried them today. They were easier on my shoulder, but I had to drop to a low weight to not feel the pain. By then the weight was too light to even work the muslce.
    Last edited by Ti1301; 10-20-2002 at 04:54 AM.
    Train.

for the same reason leg extensions alone will not make your legs huge...

you have to squat so for chest presses are the equivalent

there are lots of guys here who hardly do isolation exercises at all

try to find one that does mostly isolation exercises and they are either a newbie or very misguided

heavy, basic, compound movements = big muscles

and how much can you really tell in one week

It takes several weeks for an accurate evaluation

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Since I replaced my bench with the cable cross I started crossing 60 lbs per side. Last night I had it up to 100 lb per side.
    Just to let you guys know. Before I left the gynm last night I tried to bench the bar just to see how my shoulder was doing.
    I put my usual weight onthe bar and pushed it up and down a few inches 20 or so times.
    Shoulder didn't hurt and I felt stronger.
    You guys think it's safe to go back to the bench, it's been about 2 weeks.
    Holto: doesn't the cable cross and peck deck isolate the chest?
    Train.

Wannabebig Member
    Personally, I wouldn't go heavy. If you think you can perform the movement, go ahead and try, but don't go heavy. I understand your eagerness to jump back in with both feet, but ya gotta put your health 1st. I would wait a few more weeks, then start again, but start light and work your way back to a good weight over a week or two. Keep doing the shoulder exercises everytime you step in the gym, first thing. Good luck.
    "Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No-one was there."

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Start with dumbell presses and if necessary limit ROM a little so you don't ge beyond were it starts to hurt. Have you been doing your RC exercises?

Start with dumbell presses and if necessary limit ROM a little so you don't ge beyond were it starts to hurt. Have you been doing your RC exercises?
    Yeah I started them earlier this week.
    I guess I'll wait till next week to be on the safe side. 3 weeks should be enough.
    Train.