The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carbohydate craze

How long do you think this trend will last in diets, before something new comes along? i know technology is getting better and better but i predict that within 2 years something new will come round the corner.

Im not sure what, but it will be on the lines of taking a pill, then you can eat almost whatever you want. What do you think will happen in the next few months/years?
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I thought low-carbohydrate was the current craze?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

sorry low carbohydrate craze, my bad

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Well, the low carbohydrate craze was going on for two million years before agriculture happened ten thousand years ago so it isn't exactly a recent trend....

True, but the whole ketosis/LC diets have had a bit of a resurgence in the past few years.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

3:16
    Originally posted by restless
    Well, the low carbohydrate craze was going on for two million years before agriculture happened ten thousand years ago so it isn't exactly a recent trend....
    Thta was low overall kcal intake and lots of famines as well. so may not means its ideal.

plus in different areas different foods where eaten as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by body

Thta was low overall kcal intake and lots of famines as well. so may not means its ideal.

plus in different areas different foods where eaten as well.
    We could have a very interesting discussion about this, but i'm not sure there's any point. Prior to the advent of agriculture there was no way we could manage to get a significant amount of calories from carbs. If you look at current hunter gatherer tribes you'll see that most of the calories come from animal sources and most have high protein and moderate to high fat diets, they also didn't have any modern man diseases like diabetes and many others. Fruit wasn't available year round to them so don't dig up that one. This has been researched plenty and these are known facts. How can people say 2 million years of evolution are wrong? It's ridiculous. That's the diet we evolved on and that's the one that suits us the most. There's actually evidence of lowered bone density and of a drop in stature during the period corresponding to the beggining of agriculture. Do you think it's a coincidence that the first populations to start eating high carb diets are also the smaller ones? (asians, in case you don't know) This is due to the high anti nutrient content of grains which prevent the absortion of some important minerals and to the lowered protein intake. I could go on forever i did a ton of research on this. Anyone who's interested in this should visit beyondveg.com and read a lot, most of it is there. Here's a link to a great article:

Beyondveg
    Last edited by restless; 10-14-2002 at 03:53 PM.

:withstupi

the physical archeology and forensics backs it up.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Tryska
    :withstupi

the physical archeology and forensics backs it up.

"Further, there are antinutrients in cereal grains which directly impair vitamin D metabolism [Batchelor 1983; Clement 1987];"

hmmm...woder if this links to the apparent increase in skin cancers?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    "Further, there are antinutrients in cereal grains which directly impair vitamin D metabolism [Batchelor 1983; Clement 1987];"

hmmm...woder if this links to the apparent increase in skin cancers?
    It could be. What's curious is that whole grains are the worst when it comes to antinutrient content. Although you do lose many of the mineral and vitamins in the refinement of grains you also lose the phytates that would have kept you from absorbing those vitamins and minerals. You are then left with the decision of either chosing refined grains with little fiber in them and live with permanent levels of insulin above what would be desirable (thus also possibly gaining some extra fat in the process) or going with whole grains and risking some kind of mineral deficiency in the long run....Tough call, if you ask me. Bring on the fats, is what i say.
    Last edited by restless; 10-13-2002 at 10:39 AM.

Some good info provided by restless and tryska very nice, i didn't expect this sort of a discussion to come out of it, but it was really interesting.

i'm with you restless....bring on the fats. (not the frankenstien ones tho...*lol*)

personally, i eat in a way that if my body can digest it raw, then i'll eat it. (cooked or not) pretty much paleolithic.

of course this means no wheat, corn, potatoes, peanuts, cashews and chicken. dairy isn't my friend either. i do however eat oats, cottage cheese and casein and a little whey. oh and rice. (1.2 cup servings). I think of all the grains, oats and rice are the least toxic.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    i'm with you restless....bring on the fats. (not the frankenstien ones tho...*lol*)

personally, i eat in a way that if my body can digest it raw, then i'll eat it. (cooked or not) pretty much paleolithic.

of course this means no wheat, corn, potatoes, peanuts, cashews and chicken. dairy isn't my friend either. i do however eat oats, cottage cheese and casein and a little whey. oh and rice. (1.2 cup servings). I think of all the grains, oats and rice are the least toxic.
    No frankenstein fats to me either, that's for sure. LOL

I also eat casein and some whey, but no milk either. For grains i eat whole rice, white post workout and some whole pasta also. It 's a pitty low carb doesn't seem to allow you to put on as much muscle as moderate does. It's also pretty much paleolithic, but with 30% or so of carbs.
    Last edited by restless; 10-13-2002 at 12:45 PM.

. If you look at current hunter gatherer tribes you'll see that most of the calories come from animal sources and most have high protein and moderate to high fat diets, they also didn't have any modern man diseases like diabetes and many other's.
    Beyondveg
    the diabetes thing and other modern disease to me is all wrong.

They died of infectious disease, famines etc. most people did live long enough to get diabetes, CHD or cancers.
    plus they exercised a lot, did not over eat, smoke, drink, sit in front of computer all day.

So i fail to see how that is a valid point.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

toxic or not, carbs kickas$ ....

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    All the usual arguments. Fossil records do show violent deads to be the primary cause of death, along with resulting infections from wounds caused by wild animals and alike. I can't remember the exact numbers but if i recall correctly, paleotlithic people lived to around 37 years old, were bigger in stature and had better bone density. Agricultural man had a lot worst health, lived less during some periods (remember midle age?) but did manage to protect themselves from many of the dangers tha plagued cave man due to living in bigger comunities. If my memory doesn't fail me, diabetes was first documented by the greeks and there never was any record of it before agricultural man. And for the record, you only have to live to be a teenager to develop diabetes so age is not an argument, diet is.
    Last edited by restless; 10-14-2002 at 03:57 PM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Here's a link to an article with a table containing the average lifespans since the late paleolithic. You'll see that there was a decrease in lifespan when agriculture was introduced and that the significantly increased lifespan is a very recent trend. Notice the average height....

beyondveg

might their health be totally unrelated to diet, and be only a result of their constant exercise?

i believe there are too many variables to make such bold statements as have been made about the diet and health of ancient man.
    "learn to swim"
    -maynard

diet is key to health. there's no way to seperate the two. literally you are what you eat.

And for the record, you only have to live to be a teenager to develop diabetes so age is not an argument, diet is.
    a lot of people these days are developing diabetes in late 30's plus. okay it may be NIDDM. but they would have not lived long enough to get it. Plus they exercised a lot, which also is a important factor in prevention.

Whats your primary source of daily protein? Do you eat fish & beef?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

hmm...beef, fish, seafood. actually lots of beef. and eggs. the one exception is my preworkout myoplex.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I have a friend that developed insulin dependent diabetes at 23 years old and another at 30. Age is not an argument, people have been that age (23-30) for many years. All you have to do is look around for the evidence as there have been people living like this to this century and some still do. Try to find a single case of diabetes on a tradicional hunther gatherer poplulation like the Enuiq, the Australian aborigines, the jivaro's from the amazon and many others. You'll find that although some of them live to a relatively old age they don't suffer from these diseases as long as they eat their natural diets. I'm not saying that carbs are the cause of all evils that plague mankind though, trans fatty acids, hidrogenated fats and the lack of essencial fatty acids, coupled with sedentarism obviously play a very big role in this too.
    I say these things after doing a ton of research so i'm not exactly talking out of my ass (not saying that you are). Problem is, people tend to hit me with their misinformed opinions and present them as facts when nothing could be further from the truth. Enough said. For those who are interested beyondveg is a great resource of information, for those who believe, there's little point in preaching to the convert, for those who won't listen to the facts, it's your loss....
    Last edited by restless; 10-14-2002 at 12:17 PM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    hmm...beef, fish, seafood. actually lots of beef. and eggs. the one exception is my preworkout myoplex.
    Can't go wrong with lots of beef and whole eggs! I do avoid most fish due to high heavy metal content, but let's not get into that. I had enough arguing for this week.