The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I find this very interesting...any particular cuts of beef? Lower/Higher fat content matter?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

i actually buy the leanest cuts i can find, preferably free-range and grass fed, but grass fed is difficult to find, so i get free-range grain-fed (which has a higher fat content) and the leanest cuts possible, or the leanest ground beef or whatever.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I have a childhood friend working at the butcher section in a near by supermarket so i now have around 70% off from all cuts of meat i purchase. I am a lucky bastard.

3:16
    do you take advtange of your trehalase enzyme?

This enzyme was probably more important for our ancestor than we use it today. go tuck and eat lots of food to use this ancient enzyme in your body. yum yum!!!
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

For the typical lazy person who doesn't want to limit intake a low carbohydrate diet is probably a good thing.

But 99% of atheletes still eat lots of carbs, probably at least 50% of calories.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Originally posted by hemants
    For the typical lazy person who doesn't want to limit intake a low carbohydrate diet is probably a good thing.

i take offense to that statement.

i don't think it has anything to do with limiting intake or not.

some people (using myself as an example) will not do well with just "limiting intake". a change in macronutrients is necessary.

and i'm not sure where you get the idea that a low carb diet is somehow an "easy" path to take.

too right, the low carb is definately not an easy route to leaness, it takes dedication and strong will power. Ive been doing it for two weeks now and im getting the hang of it and the results so far are promising.

"Limiting intake" as tryska said will not always produce results with everyone, becuase we are all different. I usually can lose with limiting but after some persuasion, i decided to give it a go. My workouts still feel sweet and my strength is actually going up, while i have lost about 4lbs so far.

I know that quite a bit will be water because carbs help retain water giving fullness, im pretty sure i aint lost any muscle so probably 1.5lbs fat.

hemants please think your posts through before posting generalised statements.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Oops I didn't mean to imply that all people on a low carb diet are lazy You're right I did post in a hurry.

What I meant to say is that while 99% of atheletes are still on a high carbohydrate diet, most of us who work at desk jobs probably do not burn enough calories to warrant such a high carbohydrate intake.

Thus in a sense, I think that a low to medium carbohydrate diet will be around for a long time. Not sure about a ketosis inducing diet though. Time will tell if that is healthy in the long run. I am doubtful.

well I am on a low carb diet and I know from my experiances that it definatly aint easy, there are pot luck dinners at my work and people take it personaly if I dont eat, I dont, but they dont see how important it is for me to keep and follow my diet, also having these dinners is a major temptation, this is a sugar based society and when you dont play the sugar game it leaves you out in the cold, by the way, this is an awsome thread !

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    . Not sure about a ketosis inducing diet though. Time will tell if that is healthy in the long run. I am doubtful.
    Wait, are you sugesting that the diet mankind evolved on during a couple million years is not healthy?? How can that be?

Was their fat content high enough, and their protein content low enough to actually be in ketosis for long periods of time. Seriously a question.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    They probably weren't all their lifes in ketosis, but would be in and out depending on time of the year. If fruit was available they would eat it obviously. There is little point in speculating about what they did when there's people eating to this day like they did. Present day hunter-gatherers have been researched plenty. I don't understand what you mean with "protein content low enough to actually be in ketosis". Can you explain?
    Last edited by restless; 10-19-2002 at 05:07 AM.

Originally posted by smalls
    Was their fat content high enough, and their protein content low enough to actually be in ketosis for long periods of time. Seriously a question.
    I was under the impression that protien had nothing to do with being in ketosis. If I am not mistaken insulin has to be low and glucagon (sp?) has to be high, and this comes about due to the lack of carbohydrates. Protien and fat are eaten as the mainstay of the diet because of their minmal affecs on insulin. It is possible for individuals that are fasting to be in ketosis and they have eaten nothing.

3:16
    Originally posted by smalls
    You mena low carbs?

you will have some ancient people in ketosis, but many where not.

Remeber the world is a big place. Not all ancient people had the same diet.

There is not one ancient diet. there are many anciemnt diets. even seasonal varaitions etc would have effects on ketosis.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I feel like an hamster running inside a wheel in a cage....No matter what one says it will come back to the same place.

Yes diet was diferent from place to place, but like current hunter gatherers the diet was mainly from animal sources (65% or more). The oldest fossil record of a grain processing aparatus is from around 50 000 years ago, and even then grains couldn't have been an adequate calorie source year round.

Ketosis is a relative term, it will happen to some extent if your carb intake isn't enough to satisfy your brain and liver needs.

The main argument used by some people is the possibility of ketoacidosis ocurring. Anyone who mentions this does not what he is talking about and ignoring him would be the best course of action. Ketoacidosis is a pathological condition that ocurs only in insulin dependent diabetics and sometimes in alcoholics, it won't happen in healthy persons. The rise in insulin from the intake of protein and fat is enough to prevent it from happen.

At the worst, keto is as healthy as any other diet.
    Last edited by restless; 10-19-2002 at 07:34 AM.

Originally posted by bradley

I was under the impression that protien had nothing to do with being in ketosis. If I am not mistaken insulin has to be low and glucagon (sp?) has to be high, and this comes about due to the lack of carbohydrates. Protien and fat are eaten as the mainstay of the diet because of their minmal affecs on insulin. It is possible for individuals that are fasting to be in ketosis and they have eaten nothing.
    Brad, too much protein can keep a person out of ketosis. And not enough fat can prevent ketone body production.

That's all ketosis is. It's the results of incomplete burning of fat. They've kept epilieptic children in deep ketosis for up a year with no ill favoured health effects. So, i agree with restless.

By the way, some cultures can eat high fat, low carbs and keep out of ketosis. Look at the eskimos for instance. Albeit, i imagine the fact that they live in cold ass conditions has something to do with them having more BAT, still. They used to have like zero levels are heart complications and diabetes. Now since they've adopted more of an american diet, they show the same problems.

It's you Americans causing all the trouble y'know. You're like beer - the root cause and solution to all of lifes problems.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

It's you Americans causing all the trouble y'know. You're like beer - the root cause and solution to all of lifes problems.
    LOL.

I don't think any of these populations had such a high protein intake that would make possible to produce enough glucose from it as to allow them to break out of ketosis. Anyway, low carb is the issue, not ketosis itself.

True. Funny how these things digress.

But then again, you've covered anything worthy of saying, so i have to change subject
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

"Wait, are you sugesting that the diet mankind evolved on during a couple million years is not healthy?? How can that be?"

1. there was no single diet it all depended on conditions. most societies flourished around a fertile flood plain but no doubt man is equipped to survive under a variety of conditions

2. why are we looking to cavemen to determine what is a healthy diet? life expectancy today is much higher than it ever was and is constantly on the rise. we understand much more today than we did hundreds of years ago.
    Last edited by hemants; 10-19-2002 at 07:49 AM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    "Wait, are you sugesting that the diet mankind evolved on during a couple million years is not healthy?? How can that be?"

1. there was no single diet it all depended on conditions. most societies flourished around a fertile flood plain but no doubt man is equipped to survive under a variety of conditions

2. why are we looking to cavemen to determine what is a healthy diet? life expectancy today is much higher than it ever was and is constantly on the rise. we understand much more today than we did hundreds of years ago.
    1- Once again, generally speaking mankind evolved on a low carb diet. I am getting tired of typing the same things over and over, so if you care, go check my previous posts.

2-Life expectancy increased in the past 100 years or so, mostly due to modern medicine which is allowing us to somewhat makeup for the hazardous nutrition and lifestyle habits we insist in folowing. During the first thousand years post agricultural revolution there was a decrease in life expectancy, bone density, height, bla, bla, bla.....All made possible by an high carb, low protein diet, sedentarism (though they were a lot more active than most of us still), etc...

Damn, I can't even stand to hear myself thinking about this any longer.

Chicken daddy, how's the weather there?
    Last edited by restless; 10-19-2002 at 08:05 AM.

And yet the incidence of heart disease, diabetes and atherosclerosis is greater now than then. What does that tell you?

restless, i live in Newcastle in the north, so even during the summer it's cold. And jackets and coats haven't been introduced up here yet.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

restless, i live in Newcastle in the north, so even during the summer it's cold. And jackets and coats haven't been introduced up here yet.
    Ah, that's a shame....I live in Portugal were it's pretty much sunny all the time so i think i'm gonna go out in the sun for a while like our cavemen brothers used to do... And then to my PM workout.

why wouldn't you look to "cavemen" as you call them? if you want to see what man ate in his natrual state and what his body is best designed for, your best bet is to look at what man in his natural state was eating.

our genes and digestive tracts haven't changed enough over the millenia to necessarily accomadate the agrarian revolution of the past few thousand years gracefully. our lifestyle diseases should show that. The archeological evidence is there to prove out various auoimmune diseases that came about with move to an grain dependent culture (you choose the grain, i'll give you the specific autoimmune disorder).

I think it's hubris on your part, to think just because mentally we're "modern man" we somehow have physically progressed beyond nature's design. that will never be. well it might possibly be, but it will take several thousand more years of genetic selection, and all the fat diabetic kids we're starting to see, dying off before they get a chance to reproduce.

1. as I said "natural state" was highly variable depending on when and where we are talking about - our genes and digestive tracts have evolved to make us highly adaptable to a tremendous variety of diets and conditions

2. cardio vascular diseases are on the rise for many reasons including lazy lifestyle, consuming too many calories for a given expenditure, and an emphasis on highly processed fast foods. At the same time, just because there were no reports of cavemen dying from hardened arteries, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'm sure diagnosis wasn't the highest priority back then. Also, the longer people live, the greater the number of diseases are eventually going to catch up to us with age. eg. prostate cancer is on the rise because people (particularly men) are living longer

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    For some weird reason i can't leave these debates alone....

hemants, I'm fearing all this typing will mess my recovery after two workouts so instead of trying to refute your points, which wouldn't be that hard, I'll direct you to somewere were you can learn about it, please read this article (and the rest of the site, while you're at it...):

One more damned beyondveg article....