Thread: Critique Biography On Arnold..

Hybrid View

Critique Biography On Arnold..

Arnold Schwarzenegger was born July 30, 1947. He was born in Austria, four miles from Graz in the little town of Thal. His last name “Schwarzenegger” interestingly means "Black Plowman". Arnold is the son of Gustav and Aurelia Schwarzenegger. Arnold had an older brother named Meinhard who was just a single year older than him. Arnold and his brother were always very competitive with one another both athletically and academically. Unfortunately Meinhard died in a car accident when he was in his 20's.

Arnold was first introduced to weight-lifting when he was on a field trip for his soccer team. The soccer team visited a local gym in Graz, Austria. After observing the dedication that the bodybuilders possessed, Arnold became captivated. However, his father was in fact disappointed in Arnold’s love for bodybuilding because it was the least popular sport in Austria. In 1961 Arnold was introduced to Kurt Marnul, the former Mr. Austria. Marnul was very impressed with Arnold’s charisma for bodybuilding and asked him if he wanted to train with him in the Union in Graz. Arnold began training seven days a week. He could not get enough of the gym. The entire atmosphere astounded him. He became so obsessed with bodybuilding that he broke into the gym on Sundays to train because the gym was closed. In addition to training Arnold began a three-year apprenticeship as a carpenter.

In 1965 when Arnold turned eighteen he joined the Austrian Army for mandatory service. His parents hoped the time Arnold spent in the army would rid him of his bodybuilding obsession. However, to much of his parents dissatisfaction, Arnold was far from losing his obsession with bodybuilding. While in basic training for the military, Arnold was informed that the Junior Mr. Europe competition was going to be held in a nearby town. Arnold dropped out of the army to compete in this competition. Incredibly, Arnold won the competition with a perfect 300 point score. He was the first competitor to ever have a perfect score.
    In 1966, Arnold was invited to move to Munich to train at the Putzingger Gym. In September of that same year, he took second place in the Mr. Universe competition held in London. A year later, Arnold won his first Amateur Mr. Universe title and became the youngest competitor to ever do so. Unfortunately in 1971 Arnold's father died of a stroke. His father missed out on the success his son was soon to achieve. Shortly after his fathers death in 1972 Arnold won his first Mr. Universe title and was invited by American bodybuilding champion, Joe Weider, to train in America. It was a tough decision, but Arnold finally decided to move to America.

Immediately after arriving in the United States, Arnold starred in his first film, “Hercules in New York.” Arnold continued bodybuilding and competed in the Mr. Olympia competitions. After successfully winning six Mr. Olympia titles and a Mr. World title, Arnold retired from bodybuilding in 1975. In 1976 Arnold starred in his second movie, "Stay Hungry." In 1980 Arnold was actually challenged by popular bodybuilder Lou Ferrigno to compete in the 1980 Mr. Olympia competition. Arnold accepted the challenge and stunned everyone by capturing his seventh Mr. Olympia title. Arnold starred as Conan in the popular film, "Conan the Barbarian." He has made numerous blockbuster films since then.

Arnold met Maria Shriver at a New York tennis tournament in 1977. Soon after they met, they began dating. Arnold proposing to her in a rowboat on Lake Tollersee, in Austria, and they were married in 1986. Maria and Arnold have four children together, Katherine, Christina, Patrick, and Christopher.

In 1989 when George Bush was President he served as chairman of the Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. Arnold now chairs the Governor's Council of Physical Fitness in the state of California. Since 1979, Arnold has served as the International Weight training coach for the Special Olympics. Beginning in 1991 he became involved in the Executive Commission on the Los Angeles Inner City Games, a small version of the Olympics designed to help kids say "no" to drugs and violence and "yes" to fitness as a way of life. Arnold helps the children to see athletics as a positive alternative to drugs, and a great way to build self-esteem. Arnold presently is chairman of the Inner City Games Foundation, a program that has expanded up to ten cities and is continuing to grow to this day.

While in Graz, Austria, visiting friends and family, Arnold had the great honor of opening the "Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium." A stadium named after the famous Austrian that serves as a tribute to Arnold and all of his hard work. Arnold’s fans can to do this day visit the stadium and admire all of Arnold’s accomplishments.

bump~

Soca King
    It seems like you're off to a good start Monstar.If you don't mind my asking is this for fun or anything particular?
    Last edited by Big Show; 10-15-2002 at 07:22 PM.

Ok man...wtf is this for...another psychology project...
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Honestly, I learned alot about Arnold but the structure and flow of the biography (flow) could be much bettter. And though I'm not an English major by any means....I'm pretty sure there are alot of grammatical errors.
    peace-

Craig

English paper---I am going to critique it a bit.

Arnold proposing to her in a rowboat on Lake Tollersee,

I am the lousiest in english on this site, but since your telling this from a normal historic view, and not in questioning or problem telling way, shouldnt it be :

Arnold proposed to her in a rowboat on Lake Tollersee.

Now this would just be strange mabye, but this is what my English teacher would change :

Arnold dropped out of the army to compete in this competition. Incredibly, Arnold won the competition with a perfect 300 point score. He was the first competitor to ever have a perfect score.

- Arnold did not drop out of the army, he escaped one night to compete in mr. Austria and came back in the morning, but the Mps saw him and he got caught. He had to spend some days in jail.

I never heard that Lou Ferrigno bit, about him inviting Arnold to the mr.olympia, I am not sure if Ferrigno even was in the 1980 mr.olympia

Arnold schwarzenegger suprised everybody when he announced just hours before the 1980 mr.olympia that he was entering the competition for the last and 7th time.
    This angered many of the other contestants, and Mike Mentzer among others were deeply frustrated.

Now I might be all wrong, so just tell me straight out, no need to go about the cacke.
    Last edited by Rock; 10-16-2002 at 03:54 AM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

am i wrong in thinking you should put some quotes in there??
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

The chill in the air is me cyclone's Avatar
    I would listen to Rock, since he is completely obsessed with AAHNOLD.
    If you're going down.....go down swinging.~ me

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.~unknown

she is very nice, we had sex first, then spoke later, I liked that.~Rock

Originally posted by Rock
    I never heard that Lou Ferrigno bit, about him inviting Arnold to the mr.olympia, I am not sure if Ferrigno even was in the 1980 mr.olympia

Arnold schwarzenegger suprised everybody when he announced just hours before the 1980 mr.olympia that he was entering the competition for the last and 7th time.
    This angered many of the other contestants, and Mike Mentzer among others were deeply frustrated.

Now I might be all wrong, so just tell me straight out, no need to go about the cacke.
    I thought the movie Pumping Iron was about Ferrigno and Arnold as they lead up to the 1980 Olympia. So, it is my understanding that Ferrigno was indeed in the Olympia that year, though I don't recall reading anything about Ferrigno inviting him to it.

I read an unauthorized biography about Arnold many years ago, and the thing that struck me the most about him was his practical joke playing. He would tell aspiring bodybuilders who asked him for help to grease up with his special 'muscle building cream'. Motor oil. He would make deals with the butcher in small towns that he would be guest posing in, getting a cut of the profit from when he would tell the people the secret to his muscle gains was his eating of copious amounts of bulls balls.

MonStar, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Craig James, you are wrong, Pumping Iron has nothing to do with the 1980 mr.olympia, pumping iron is the 1975 mr.olympia.

The comeback has, if anyone is intrested,
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

My bad, Rock. You are right that the movie was about the 1975 Olympia, and that turns out to be the last Olympia that Ferrigno was in until 1992.