Thread: Way to do heavy squats and deads without a gym?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Way to do heavy squats and deads without a gym?

So, with my current goals and desires, of all the lifts that I find necessary, the only ones that I would really need a gym for are: squats and deadlifts. Everything else I want to do (pullups, overhead presses, dips, weighted crunches, etc.) I can pretty reasonably do without a gym.

I was thinking about using sand to create a large load/bag of sorts that I can use to squat and deadlift with a heavy weight that I can progress with (using small 5-lb. bags of sand to increment with). Any ideas/recommendations?

Or, do you feel that in order to get the most out of squats and deads I should just get a gym membership?

Thanks.

(by the way i dont know if any of you remember me, i used to post here a lot back in the day, hello everyone!)
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    So, with my current goals and desires, of all the lifts that I find necessary, the only ones that I would really need a gym for are: squats and deadlifts. Everything else I want to do (pullups, overhead presses, dips, weighted crunches, etc.) I can pretty reasonably do without a gym.

I was thinking about using sand to create a large load/bag of sorts that I can use to squat and deadlift with a heavy weight that I can progress with (using small 5-lb. bags of sand to increment with). Any ideas/recommendations?

Or, do you feel that in order to get the most out of squats and deads I should just get a gym membership?

Thanks.

(by the way i dont know if any of you remember me, i used to post here a lot back in the day, hello everyone!)

Great to have you back! Keep an eye as we are going to be totally revamp the site over the next few weeks.

I suggest you look for a squat stand and a barbell on Craig's List or the like. Then you can train from home and the expense should be minimal.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Thanks Chris. Would you suggest I buy rubber-coated plates of weight? So that I can deadlift and not make too much of a crashing impact upon lowering the bar? Or would some kind of surface/pad be okay to lower a heavy barbell onto? I don't want to be scaring my family with crashing non-rubber weights right into the ground haha.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.