Thread: should i quit?

should i quit?

ok i am in a dilemma here
    i have been working at a nursing home since the summer started
    some of you may already know this..
    but i mean i am in the kitchen
    i serve the food, clean up, prep some stuff, re-set the dining room, mop, sweep, etc
    i like the people i work with and i like the older people a lot
    the thing is i hate my boss.
    he always schedules me when i tell him i cant work
    and then when i tell him that i already told him i cant work, he gets mad at me.
    everyone that is scheduled has to call the other people working because we never know that we are on the schedule since he told us it was ok if we didnt work that night
    it gets shorthanded a lot and we have to do doublework
    with school papers and college applications and homework and everything, i have no time to work
    and when i do work, i have to work two peoples jobs.
    i can only work on weekdays since i have been doing a lot of college visits on weekends and i dont feel like getting up at 6 on the weekends to go to work.. so i go to school and then have to go to work for three hours.
    i dont know if i should quit and wait until college applications get done... and then get another job or what
    i am afraid to quit haha
    i dont know what my parents will say.. and i dont want to talk to my boss or anything
    i have been thinking about quitting for a while
    but since i just got a call saying "hey kim.. are you coming in to work tonight?" "no why?" " you are scheduled haha"
    and i was like what! i told joe i couldnt work 10/11-10/16
    arg
    it just really stresses me out on top of other things
    its NUTS
    what do i DOO!?!
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Cuss at your boss, slash his tires, then get drunk and crank call him from 1am till sunrise.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

find another job. if everyone is having this problem with your boss and he cant seem to get his act together, then id go for something else. your young, great time to move around and check things out.

and if not, then dont get stressed about it and just work when you can. if he schedules you when you told him you couldnt work, then thats his fault.

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Don't verbally tell him you need off. Put it in writing and have a copy for yourself. If you need the $, don't quit until you find something else. If you don't need the money, wait till your really busy and just walk out. Don't worry about what you parents think, you need to do what is right for you. They will understand.
    Don't stress out over a job, it's not worth the agrivation. There are more important things to stress over, like school.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

Joey made two great points:

Put everything in writing and keep a copy for yourself.

Don't quit a job until you have another lined up.

Good luck to ya.

yea
    my mom says not to quit until i find another job
    but
    i wanted a little time off in between to catch up on college applications and papers
    but i guess i will just get a job haha
    i know i shouldnt be stressed but i am!
    its my nature.
    oh haha slash his tires? he will go tell his boyfriend about it and i will get hurt (yes my boss is actually gay haha im not just saying that )
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

also, i am scared to quit.. or to write to them and say bla bla
    i am just a cowardly little kimbo..
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

I work and go to school as well. I get jacked around at work some to. It's pretty simple, if you can't handle balancing everything quit work. You can find other work when it is necessary, I always try to put school as my number one priority. It's not difficult to quit, just tell your boss and parents straight up that you can't handle work and school. They shall understand imo, if they don't, screw them.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

1.find another job
    2.get the job say you can star in a week or two
    3. quit job later that day, pick up check.
    4.?
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Find another job.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

1) buy an elephant
    2) teach elephant to poop in large cardboard box
    3) when box is full mail it to your boss
    4) let elephant mate with your bosses car
    5) sell elephant

I'm going to give you some advice totally different then what everyone else has given you. Suck it up.

Hate to say it, but in a lot of jobs you'll find that it isn't perfect. There will be bosses that you hate, and ones that hate you. That isn't really a reason to quit. If the only problem is his inability to schedule, then work with it. Hand in papers of when you can work/can't work. Written down. That way he can't just forget about it. And about not knowing your schedule, get a few coworkers together and ask him for a written schedule so many days in advance.

By the sounds of it, your homework/school isn't slacking because of work, least by the fact that wasn't the first point you made. If it was, my advice would be to quit or cut back hours. That's important. If that's it, then that's my advice. But if it's just because you don't like your boss, his scheduling ways, or the fact you have to work hard because someone else isn't showing up.. then that's life. Gotta learn to live with it. Doesn't mean you can't do anything about it, but if you quit everytime the going gets hard, then you'll be quitting a lot of things.
    LaLa

no you see..
    i do hand in written times of when i cant work- and reasons why i cant work also
    and he says oh dont worry kim i will make sure i dont schedule you then
    and THEN he schedules me anyways! then people call from work asking where i am! and then i say what? i told joe i couldnt work, he already knows that and they laugh (because they know how the boss is..) and they say ok cya later
    its not JUST the boss
    i like the job but it really tires me out
    so when i have to work my job plus the persons job who either called out or wasnt scheduled to work also...
    it drives me crazy
    it actually does affect my schoolwork because i am too tired to want to do anything. so i just sleep and cram the work in when i can
    i know i gotta learn to live with it but i cant handle it anymore. i wanted to stop in sept when school started but my mom said no stick with it and if it gets to stressful, then quit
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

oh about the advanced scheduling thing
    he does do that
    but when someone calls out, he just writes people in
    he doesnt even tell them that they are working
    i came in one day and i wasnt scheduled for the next night that whole week.. and i was like woh wait joe i am working tomorrow? oh yea um is that ok kim?
    um i guess joe..
    it just really bugs all the workers so they just call out when they please and leave me hanging
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

i know i gotta learn to live with it but i cant handle it anymore
    Why are you still working? You can't handle it, quit. It doesn't mean you're weak, you're just human like the rest of us.

Become my girlfriend and I can have a private talk with your boss!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Do whatever you want, just dont get ugly on us.

If you dont like it, quit, dont stay where you hate life and go insane like Budiak did. Yeah, I hear it, it comes and goes.

Would it be hard for you to find another job?