Thread: Cod Liver Oil

The Bottom Line

Cod Liver Oil

Hi guys, I was wondering, is Cod Liver Oil a good source of Essential Fatty Acids? If it is, what dosage will you reccomend for a 160lb guy? I'm taking 2 tablespoons daily, is that enough?
    Change is good.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    It is. A lot of people warn against the evils and dangers of overdosing on vitamin A while suplementing with cod liver oil but there doesn't seem to be any documented cases of anyone having problems directly linked to it's consumption. Two tablespoons will put you well above the recomended RDA for vitamin A but remember that these values are not the dosages at which it will become toxic but rather the minimum required to prevent deficiences. Up to 4 tablespoons will still leave you considerably below the dosage that has been shown to be toxic.
    I've been using it for quite some time with no problems, on summer i do keep it under one tablespoon per day if i'm getting a lot of sun exposure though.
    Last edited by restless; 10-17-2002 at 06:31 AM.

Good post Restless.

Originally posted by restless
    It is. A lot of people warn against the evils and dangers of overdosing on vitamin A while suplementing with cod liver oil but there doesn't seem to be any documented cases of anyone having problems directly linked to it's consumption.

But if you start going orange then you may wanna cut back, lol.

Two tablespoons will put you well above the recomended RDA for vitamin A but remember that these values are not the dosages at which it will become toxic but rather the minimum required to prevent deficiences. Up to 4 tablespoons will still leave you considerably below the dosage that has been shown to be toxic.
    I've been using it for quite some time with no problems, on summer i do keep it under one tablespoon per day if i'm getting a lot of sun exposure though.
    Sun exposure?

Are you getting mixed up with vitamin D?

Anyhoo, i couldn't bare taking cod liver oil off the spoon

This may the only case where i'd recommend caps over a bottle lol.

CLO = good stuff though.

The caps are usually 1g caps, so about 6 a day i think is the recommended dose.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I am talking about vitamin D, sorry i negleted to mention that. Cod liver oil is also high on it so if you're getting enough sun might not be a good ideia to over do it on CLO. I'm not sure if this that much of a problem but if Dr Mercola says so then I believe him.

In regard to taste, it shouldn't be that bad. I take one that has been deodorised so it tastes lemonish, quite nice.

Olive Oil is also Ace for EFA's.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

If you do buy cod liver oil, make sure to buy the cherry flavored kind, the natural flavored kind is unbearable..

Originally posted by stpatrick44
    Olive Oil is also Ace for EFA's.
    I'm sure this is just a typo or something, but olive oil is not ace for EFA's

Originally posted by CBates

I'm sure this is just a typo or something, but olive oil is not ace for EFA's
    lol yeah, i was just gonna say that.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Sorry Guys I meant Safflower Oil. It WAS a typo.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 10-17-2002 at 08:15 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee