The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Soca King

What aspects of your life make you happy

Like the subject says what do you do that makes you happy.And what do you need to feel happy.For me what I need out of life is

1)Challenge:When I complete a challenge I feel powerful and confident.The things I do that I feel chalenge me are

a)Bodybuilding:The task of heading to the gym,and performing better than the previous workout is an ongoing challenge for me.

b)College:When I went to college that was a constant challenge as well.At first I was really nervous about failing since various experiences have made me doubt my own abilities,and at my colllege you had to get at least a 70% to pass the class.But after getting my first "A" an 89% to be exact I was empowered and started to feel confident and self assured again.And I continued through that course and my lowest mark was a 72% & my highest was a 95%

c)Driving:I've been driving my friends car as practice before going for my road test.And having him say that my driving skills have really improved & that I should go for the tes makes me feel good.

2)Financial Security:I need to know that I won't be living from paycheck to paycheck.Although I'm somewhat financially secure now however certain things are lacking to make it complete.

3)Fullfillment:I want to like what I'm doing to feel motivated in life.Guaranteed that if I didn't like the course I was taking in college I wouldn't have have passed.When you like what you're doing you focus more on the pros instead of the cons and you feel empowered.My collection of Transformers toys,animes and mangas make me feel happy.One of my worst mistakes was selling off my Transformers collection because I was worried about being made fun of by my high school peers

4)Control:I like being in control of my life and in a position of power.There is a key aspect of my life that is not fully in my control so bodybuilding,collecting,reading are all in my control & focusing on the control keeps me somewhat sane.So I can now try to gain control of what's uncontrolable in my life and not feel so dejected*Although I still have my blue periods*

5)Goals:I have set some future goals that are achieveable & will be achieved(I hope in the near future)my new goals are to

a)Pass my road test & get my drivers license
    b)Go at least once to the Arnold Fitness Expo
    c)Go at least once to BotCon*It's a Transformers convention*
    d)Be able to move out into my own apartment*I'm already part of the way there financially*

So tell us what are the aspects of your life that keep you feeling good about yourself.
    *FYI please be serious*

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your a cheery fellow aren'chya?

Ok i'll play along.

I like the fact that i'm bigger than all of my friends and that i can kick any one of their respective asses at any given moment.

Also i get a sense of fulfillment when i drink copious amounts of alcohol.

Yes i'm completely serious...and not drunk.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    1 - Waking up in the morning is the main thing.
    2 - Spending time with my wife and kids. No in-laws just my imediate family. There is nothing better than that.
    3 - Having a job you like helps. (which i do)
    4 - Playing music with my band. (free beer)
    5 - Gym time.

Those are the main things for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    Originally posted by Yanick

I like the fact that i'm bigger than all of my friends and that i can kick any one of their respective asses at any given moment.
    Add this one on to my list too.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    1. Waking Up every day as said above.
    2. The Gym, busting my ass.
    3. Women...: Their shapes, voice, mentality.
    4. Challenges as was said before
    5. Being my own Man. Full Responsibility!!
    6. Consistent SEX!!!!
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Soca King
    Originally posted by Yanick
    Your a cheery fellow aren'chya?

I'm trying to be cheery,but life has a habit of getting me down.But I'm trying to change

Originally posted by Big Show

I'm trying to be cheery,but life has a habit of getting me down.But I'm trying to change
    yep, i used to be like you, now i just don't care anymore. My life sucks and the only important thing for me is the gym...and alcohol.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson

the gym, and maybe school.

1. Bodybuilding
    2. Being Independant
    3. Knowing I have a family that loves me, though they can be a pain the ass, I know they're hard because they know whats best for me.
    4. A job that I love getting up to go to. (Was this summer)
    5. Routine and Structure
    6. Drving late at night with the windows down listening to relaxing music or music that has a happy tone.
    7. Watching "Horsepower TV" and other hot rod shows.
    8. Looking at women
    9. Helping people
    10. Knowing I did my best
    11. Spending time with my grandmother
    12. having exact change
    13. People assuming I am on the football team at school
    14. People moving out of the fast lane when I come up behind them. (read getting the **** out of my way)
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 10-17-2002 at 04:26 PM.

I like the fact that I will never have to pay money to color my hair.

I like the fact that I am not stupid.

I like the fact that I stuck it out and can play piano after all these years.

I like the fact that I am leaving this house soon.

I like the fact that I have found two places of ultimate fulfillment--skiing down a mountain, or driving my car. I am not able to relax in any other place.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I like the fact that when I'm faced with ANYTHING, I can overcome it.

I never doubt myself. I can do anything I want.

I can change.

So to me, my happiness is in everything. And if one thing is taken away, I change myself and the world around me to make it what I want again. Ultimate power trip.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    I like the fact that when I'm faced with ANYTHING, I can overcome it.

I never doubt myself. I can do anything I want.

I can change.

So to me, my happiness is in everything.
    Exactly. That is awesome. I used to feel sorry for myself and concentrate on what went wrong. Now when something goes wrong I love it, cuz it gives me the opportunity to prove to myself I can overcome it.

Nothing can make me feel bad, because I choose not to. I wake up every morning and decide I am extremely happy, because I have absolutely no reason to not be, and every reason to be.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

I absolutely love getting in the gym. Best part of my day, without a doubt.

Listening to music.

The gym and music. The 2 loves of my life. Everything else is just to take up space.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by smalls
    Nothing can make me feel bad, because I choose not to. I wake up every morning and decide I am extremely happy, because I have absolutely no reason to not be, and every reason to be.
    I like your way of thinking smalls. Happiness is indeed a choice....What makes me happy is living my life with passion and gratitude.

btw - I like your sig
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Looking in the mirror

"As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    Looking in the mirror

*lol* yeah, if I were you I'd be pretty chuffed too
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

lol bcc

Thanks, franjipani. Nice sig also, haha.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    The gym is, without a doubt, at the top of the list. Anyone else find himself thinking about lifting (and related subjects) every waking minute? I know I do....

Friends are good, too. I have some great ones.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

1)my wife dede makes me happy cause she makes me a more better person than I am

2) my dogs make me happy cause they are the two biggest ding dong heads I know, and I love them

3)Lifting makes me happy cause I know I am making myself better

4) my new job at Wal-mart, because the sky has opened up for me and the future is in my hands all have to do is try, no more dead end jobs, this one is good

5) also being here, as goofy as it sounds, I feel at home here, where I live there are no serious people who are as dedicated
    to their body and themselves as the people here, at work and around town people dont get why I do what I do and some people consider it silly and a waste of time, but I keep to the routine and strive to perfect myself, and here we are all set for the same goal, self improvement, so here I am surrounded by
    people who can relate to me and who I can relate back, that makes me happy

6) its fall up here and the trees have been changing color, and in the mountains it is the prettiest time of the year, the smell of the leaves and woodstoves, the feel of the frost in the air, yeah, that makes me happy

i'm of the school of thought with gyno, smalls, and franji.

no tangible thing "makes" me happy. I am fulfilled enough in myself and my life that happiness is not situational. it's a state of being.

(i will have to go with the same feeling of confidence that gyno expresses tho - f*ck victimhood.)
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

For the most part, I've got that same school of though as the rest. No single part of life makes me happy, life does.

But for the record, I'd say these things.. taken away, my life wouldn't be nearly as much.
    1) Family - Always there for me. Even when I don't phone, or haven't seen them for a while.. I know they still care about where I am, and will help me out if I ever fall.
    2) Friends - For the most part, these are family. I've been told I get along with everyone, but I don't count a lot of people "true friends".
    3) Work and school - Without it, I'd be bored. It offers some challenge, and makes me respect free time a whole lot more.
    4) Lifting - constant challenge. Lift a little more then last week. Get a little strong, a little bigger.. it's a goal that always changes, and is always there for me to go for. And even without the goal, it's something I like doing. Not for bragging rights, or the looks, just because it's (and if someone told me this before, I would have looked at them weird, but I'm pretty sure you all understand) fun.
    5) Cartoons. Can't live without them.

That said, anything from someone smiling at me (kid, cute girl, whatever.. doesn't matter) to a blizzard in the middle of june can make me happy. It's all how you look at life.
    LaLa