Thread: wrist pain

The Tuna Tempter

wrist pain

I'm on my 14th day of deconditioning for HST. I just completed my first cycle 2 weeks ago. Nearing the end of the cycle, during the 5's and negatives, i began experiencing pain in my right wrist.

It only hurts when force is applied perpendicular to the palm of my hand. E.g: when doing a barbell curl. It doesn't really hurt doing anything else like bench, shoulder press etc.

What can I do to help this? I thought it wouldn't gone away by now.
    Life's too short to be small

A. F.
    well i would assume (going by the rules for all other inuries) is let it reast.

Try using the EZ bar ? I've had a problem similar like that, and going easy while using the ez bar helped me out.

Wrist is DEFINITELY something you don't want to hurt bro, so take it easy for some time, then slowly get back into it.

The Tuna Tempter
    yeh i have rested.....i haven't trained for 2 weeks..coz of strategic deconditioning for HST. And yeh I do use an EZ curl bar. At least I'll be starting off on the 15's tomorrow, so I won't be using heavy weights to start off with.

Where on your wrist does it hurt- along the sides or on the anterior (palm) surface?

Try concentrating on not squeezing the bar while you do curls. Are you doing some variaton of bench pressing? Does it hurt when you're benching?

It is claimed that the two weeks of 15's get your joints and tendons ready for the coming weeks, blah blah blah. Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

The Tuna Tempter
    It doesn't hurt on the palm surface. If I have my palm facing down, from my view, the right (outer) side of my wrist hurts. You know where that little lumpy bone sticks out (is it just me, or do u guys have that too?)....

I didn't really hurt when i bench or incline DB bench.

Is the pain above the joint, actually up on the lower forearm? Does the pain occur in the curling position? Sounds like a tendonitis. You may have to just stop doing curls for awhile. If you're lucky you'll be able to get away with Hammer curls, but I doubt it.

This is the downside of HST: heavy weights with minimal recovery time between the three workouts a week. I never made it through two weeks of 5's any of the times I tried HST. Currently I start a microcycle in the weight range where I can do 12-15 reps of each exercise. I then increase the weight by 5-10 pounds each day I lift, until the cycle is finished. I don't worry about getting X reps each workout. I do an upper/lower split: upper, lower, off, upper, lower, off, etc.

The Tuna Tempter
    yeh Delphi...the pain is actually up on the lower forearm on that little bone that sticks out. And yes it does hurt when i go to lift something in a curl position. It didn't hurt today for skullcrushers, but I think it would've hurt for ezy bar curls so i left them out.

How is that going for you Delphi (not worrying about getting X reps)? So basically you use whatever weight which is submaximal, increase at every workout, and not hit failure?Sticking to the principles of HST, just not predetermining you weights, right?

I have the same pain continuously in the same area. Basically, the outer side of the wrist. Seemingly focused around or under where the bump is. I am at the final workout of the 5s from HST. I was thinking I was getting a repetitive stress injury from work, but last night figured it was the routine. I guess heavy pressing movements 3 times per week with only a day off is a bit too much. I'm not going to do the last day of HST and will be taking a week or so off of any pressing movements, and probably working out in general.

Right now my wrist kills just grabbing a jug of water out of the fridge.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The Tuna Tempter
    LP, it's good that you know how I feel. What are you going to do about this problem?

I've started my second cycle now, but I'm leaving out ez bar curls, I don't think my wrist can handle it. Even when I play basketball at school, if say I go to underarm throw the ball to someone with my right arm, even the force of my hand pushing on the ball hurts my wrist to a degree.

i actually had a small fracture in that area -- and it consistently gives me MUCH grief during basically all bicep movements, but it is exacerbated with straight bar curls
    what i have done to circumvent this problem is 4-fold:

1. less weight
    2. focus on form (quality over quantity)
    3. changing grip (thumbs over if possible)
    4. wraps (only when absolutely necessary)
    (5. and i keep standing straight bar curls to a minimum)

i think the addition of forearm and wrist exercises is also beneficial
    Last edited by raniali; 10-22-2002 at 11:11 AM.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

The Tuna Tempter
    thanks 4 that raniali