The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Never Satisfied.

what the hell is my bench problem?

Over the last few weeks, I seem to have lost my ability to bench press correctly. All of a sudden, I seem to be really feeling it in my shoulders, and feeling it less in my chest. Everything about my form is the same as its been for the 3 years I've been lifting, and I've only had this problem now.

I tried using a wider grip and somehow it only makes my shoulders feel it more. It's hard to explain, but its like all of a sudden after my last few chest workouts I feel like I just did shoulders. Like after every set now It feels like my shoulders did most of the work. And the only real part of my chest that seems to get any pump or soreness going is the area in the top corner closest to the shoulder. What the hell is my problem?

It might be mental, like when you first start working out you don't know how to "focus" on the muscle you are working. Maybe I forgot how to press using my chest? lol, I dunno. Any ideas?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A. F.
    take a week or two break, during that break eat a lot.

also rotate with incline bench press to work your upper pecs.

i suggest you use the smith machine.. a fine piece of bench-press equipment.

Seriously though,

Go back to basics. Make sure your shoulders are back, keep your elbows close to in line with your shoulders (out more) if you want to target your chest more. Maybe you just need a little time off?
    Last edited by NateDogg; 10-21-2002 at 04:40 PM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Bench Pressing isnt good training for the chest as most of the weight is pushed off by the shoulders.

To focus on the chess you need dumbells, you cannot properly get a good range of motion with a bar.

Oh dear.

Ignoring that nugget of inanity, perhaps we'd get a better picture if you'd describe your form.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Grasshoppa
    Bench Pressing isnt good training for the chest as most of the weight is pushed off by the shoulders.

To focus on the chess you need dumbells, you cannot properly get a good range of motion with a bar.
    What are you smoking and where can I get some?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by Lucian

Using DB's requires more from the shoulders than a BB does. When you go low with a DB your shoulder is used to start the initial push, then your chest takes over, then your tri's at the end.

As for your chest problem, maybe try some form of a fly, whether a DB fly or a pec-deck fly, then a press. Also, take a week break as well. Maybe you are overtraining.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Overtrainer.
    Perhaps it's due to overtraining. I agree with taking 2 weeks off and focussing on correct form. Maybe you are training some auxillary muscles on the same day and it's making you tired by the time u hit the bench. Perhaps, do the bench as the first part of your workout, it should be the hardest part, except maybe for squats which will obviously be another day anyhow.

Originally posted by Lucian

Lucian, tell that to the stretch marks across my chest.

But yeah I hear dumbells are perhaps better for growth, I like the strength developed with BB bench though, so I'll stick to it and hit dumbells every once in a while.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Prehaps you are bringing the bar too low. To the chest, (if you are long-armed) CAN be too low, especially once you start increasing weight. You might try to experience bringing it to a couple of inches off the chest in the bottom position.

I'd switch off of it for a while. Try using incline and dumbbells. That way you can watch yourself while doing chest and correct your form if need be. Try some of the machines too. You don't want to be dependent on just the flat bench.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

the kid from oz
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Prehaps you are bringing the bar too low. To the chest, (if you are long-armed) CAN be too low, especially once you start increasing weight. You might try to experience bringing it to a couple of inches off the chest in the bottom position.

ummm... but if you have longer arms, dont you just have a wider grip and so it makes no difference??

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    No. If you are very long armed and adopt a very wide grip, that will play merry hell with your shoulders. Your elbows should go down no lower than the bench you are lying on. If you have long arms, the elbows "rule" requires a wide grip, which puts more pressure on your shoulders... Instead of going that route, why not adopt a slightly shorter ROM on the bench press?

A. F.
    i have long arms, but if i don't go down all the way then that means i'm not getting the full rom thus better strength gains?

i tried using wider grip, but that kills my shoulders, makes it a LOT tougher, and doesn't isolate my chest any better (i don't feel it more).

but anyways, as for the bringing the bar lower.. if it doesn't touch the chest it doesn't count as a complete rep, correct? i thought a complete rep meant complete rom.. lessening the ROM would basically be cheating, no?

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Using DB's requires more from the shoulders than a BB does. When you go low with a DB your shoulder is used to start the initial push, then your chest takes over, then your tri's at the end.
    I disagree.
    My shoulder clicks like light-switch in a dunny during a party when doing BB press, but DB its like a breeze, a very natural movement.
    Ive also got long arms and no matter how far apart my hands are to the bar there is always strain on my shoulders.

Interesting concept. I was always with the belief that the lower the better, but of course not bouncing.

Try using incline and dumbbells. That way you can watch yourself while doing chest and correct your form if need be. Try some of the machines too. You don't want to be dependent on just the flat bench.
    Agree, my best progress on chest size was done on incline DB. Havent done it in ages but for some reason.
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Its really futile to start making all these assumptions and handing out advice until he tells us *how* he's benching and the routine he's using.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus

I

Interesting concept. I was always with the belief that the lower the better, but of course not bouncing.

Not always. The better is what works for YOU. Never mind what other people can do (or say you should do). What avoids injury is what works. A full ROM (bottom) on the bench press is when your elbows go to the level of the bench you are lying on. Not necessarily when the bar touches your chest.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Spawn_X

but anyways, as for the bringing the bar lower.. if it doesn't touch the chest it doesn't count as a complete rep, correct? i thought a complete rep meant complete rom.. lessening the ROM would basically be cheating, no?
    No. See the above post. For a long-armed trainee, bringing the bar to the chest can actually be an EXCESSIVE range of motion as opposed to a full one. Again which ever way works for you, is best, (always assuming that you perform the exercise in good form)

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar
    I am relatively new at this, but it seems to me that an overtrained chest would find alternate muscles to handle its load (like the shoulders). I think resting at least chest is very sound advice. It seems your shoulders are taking up the slack that your chest cannot currently handle. This could lead to a delt injury next.
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

An over trained chest wont find other muscles to take the load
    where do you get this idea from?

Its all about range of movement, when muscles grow you must change the movements because the muscles adapt to the movements you do when you are training, eventually you need to increase or change the range of movement.

Dumbells allow this, but you cant do this with just benching, eventually you'll bench and your chest will grow flat and strong, but it wont get bigger unless you train it in as many diffrent ways as possible.

You really think one excercise will train every single muscle in your chest forever?
    Last edited by Lucian; 11-02-2002 at 03:43 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    "Hey, everyone! Lucian's back!" (hands out lighter fluid and matches to the other members of WWB).

Lucian, you don't need to increase or change the ROM. That just leads to excessive ROM which leads to injury. Increase the weight. If you are benching 250 lbs and your PB (before) was 235 lbs, your entire chest will be worked. Yes one exercise can work your chest throughly. BTW please explain how benching heavy makes your chest flat tuttut
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 11-02-2002 at 04:18 AM.

Do you use anterior delts to press? Do you use triceps to press? Of all the muscle groups used to press on bench, do you not think that if one is injured or weak, the others do not compensate for the load. It's biology at its best. Not a hard concept to grasp. I can post supporting medical/biological articles if necessary.

Does anyone else not understand the above post? I thought all bodybuilders knew this fact.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not shure. Your English is not clear enough for me.

If your bicep is injured, your other muscles compensate for it by flexing more than normal (usually causing you to cheat). This can also cause injury to the other muscles involved. With the bicep curl, the cheating/helping/compensating muscles would be forearms, lower back, anterior delts, etc. I hope my english was a little more clear this time.

What are you eating? I notice that when I start a cut my bench goes down some, but as soon as I startst to bulk it goes bwck and then some.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.