The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 278 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

11/4 Back day

Gym was the most crowded I had ever seen it. What is it about Monday's that brings out all the freakin wannabe's. Anyway...

wide grip pull-ups
    +80x4
    +70x4
    +45x6
    BWx10 (6 to the back, 4 to the front) I like doing them behind the neck

deadliftI should have just left these out.
    225x4
    315x2
    315x2 (still very easy, kept really good form, need more weight!!)

I was really unhappy here. I could have done more and why I didn't I'll never know.

T-bar row
    CG 160x6
    CG 135x8
    WG 135x6
    WG 90x10

WG shrugs SS w/ CG shrugs
    275x6 SS w/ 135x10
    275x6 SS w/ 135x10
    315x4 SS w/ 135x10

all kinds of pull-ups and assisted pull-ups
    Here I just did whatever in the gym hit my fancy for about 10-15 minutes, with 30-45 second rest inbetween. This really set my back on fire. I love finishing with drop sets and supersets in the assited pull-up machine. You can really concentrate on the lats while still keeping good form.

I think there was a set or 2 of biceps in there somewhere but I really think that its insignificant. I hate doing arms. Just something to work them but that's it.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Re: 11/4 Back day

Originally posted by HomeYield
    Gym was the most crowded I had ever seen it. What is it about Monday's that brings out all the freakin wannabe's. Anyway...
    Beginning to think crowded gyms on Monday is a GLOBAL problem everyone has LOL.

Folks party all weekend and feel guilty so they rush to the gym and do chest and some curl jockey stuff and then you don't see them again until next Monday.

My gym is the same way....crowded as hell on Monday's.

At least you do back on Monday's when everyone else is doing chest. It could be worse haha.
    peace-

Craig

Awesome physique, HY. How many cals are you eating?

wide grip pull-ups
    +80x4
    +70x4
    +45x6
    Are these BTN or to the front HY? Just curious. Because I find BTN chins a million times friggin' harder than chins to the front. Maybe thats just me though.

Monstar: The heavier pull-ups are to the front, bar to chest. I could probably (maybe, but unlikely) get one or 2 BTN. I normally only do BTN with +25 or less so I can go all the way to my shoulders. BTN is a whole helluva lot harder.

Frozenmoses:Thanks man. For a couple of months I was getting close to 6000-7000 calories a day. I was eating and taking MRP with my meals, probably 3 out of the 6-7 meals I ate. That's when I put on the most weight. Right now I'm struggling trying to get it back up to 3000-4000 just to maintain and even at that I'm losin weight. Since I switched jobs I've lost close to 15 pounds. Some of it was water weight but not all of it.

BBI've learned to structure my routine pretty much based off what is popular on different days. Of course the squat rack is almost always open, except with the curl jockey's curling in it but other than that, its my sanctuary. I'm dreading the next couple of months. Holidays and the months after always seem to get packed with people.
    What is elite?

11/5 Chest day 193lbs

Today was a pretty good workout. Not the best. I didn't go up in weight in some stuff but I tried to increasing reps. Got it on most of 'em.

Inclince DB press
    warmup 80x5, 95x5
    115x5
    115x4

Dips(I love doing these)
    heavy weight first
    +135x5
    +135x5
    +115x7
    +90x6 (did these turned around, the dip station has angled bars, hits it differently)
    +90x8 (normal, drop set here out)
    +70x6
    +45x6

Cable Flyes
    50x10
    70x10

Flat bench BB press
    225x3
    225x3
    225x3
    These are pretty much for form. Not to failure.

Cybex bench machineIts just a seated bench press machine with a stack. Good for drop sets
    120x10
    100x10
    80x8
    60x10
    40x12

That's it.

Overall it was good. I really like doing those exercises that hit the upper and inner chest. LOL, ahhh, nevermind.

On to the ramblings and degenerates: I don't what it is but I love tall women. If a woman is taller than 6' I'm instantly attracted to her. There was this tall girl at the gym tonight. Hiatchamama, she was hot!! Almost enough to distract me from my workout but not quite. Scenary in the gym never hurt anyone though.

It was pretty nice at the gym tonight. Not quite as crowded as last night but still packed but pretty much devoid of any gym idiots, but then again I wasn't paying as much attention tonight. Focus was better.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 11-08-2002 at 05:15 AM.
    What is elite?

Re: 11/5 Chest day

Inclince DB press
    warmup 80x5, 95x5
    115x5
    115x4

Dips(I love doing these)
    heavy weight first
    +135x5
    +135x5
    +115x7
    +90x6 (did these turned around, the dip station has angled bars, hits it differently)
    +90x8 (normal, drop set here out)
    +70x6
    +45x6
    Damn some NICE strength HY. You really should get some pics up with your kind of strength you must have a damn good physique. Good job on the dips!!

Re: Re: 11/5 Chest day

Originally posted by MonStar
    You really should get some pics up with your kind of strength you must have a damn good physique. Good job on the dips!!
    Thanks for the compliments. I've a got few pics up on the first page. I think the first one is the 3rd or 4th post and then there are 2 more a bit further down.
    What is elite?

Thats right HY---thanks. What are your measurements?

Here's a link to the measurements:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...688#post337688
    What is elite?

Re: 11/5 Chest day

Dip station at my gym is the same way. How does this differ from how it feels doing it the other way around? I mainly do dips for tri's though (I don't lean forward...keep body straight and elbows in). Still, just curious.

On to the ramblings and degenerates: I don't what it is but I love tall women. If a woman is taller than 6' I'm instantly attracted to her.
    *LOL* I'm exactly the same way with short petite women. The last two women I dated were 5'4 and 5'2. It was positively acrobatic I tell you.
    Last edited by ectx; 11-06-2002 at 12:31 AM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Energizer Bunnie

Re: Re: 11/4 Back day

Originally posted by BennettBoy
    Beginning to think crowded gyms on Monday is a GLOBAL problem everyone has LOL.
    Yeah, but just wait until those "new year's resolutions" start kicking in.....the gyms are mental for at least 3 whole weeks......

Your pics are fabulous HY...you look great
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Re: Re: 11/5 Chest day

Originally posted by ectx
    Dip station at my gym is the same way. How does this differ from how it feels doing it the other way around? I mainly do dips for tri's though (I don't lean forward...keep body straight and elbows in). Still, just curious.
    If I do it reversed the handles tend to slope up so I think I tend to lean forward to overcompensate for it. When this happens I tend to feel it more in my chest. My elbows flare out a little bit more and my wrist get weaker because of the increased angle. It tends to stretch my chest more and more resembles doing bench dips than anything. The normal way, I can do more weight and it hits the triceps pretty hard. That's why I don't have any more tricep work on this day.

*LOL* I'm exactly the same way with short petite women. The last two women I dated were 5'4 and 5'2. It was positively acrobatic I tell you.
    Ummmm, acrobatics. A tall gymnist.
    What is elite?

Re: Re: Re: 11/4 Back day

Originally posted by Franjipani

Yeah, but just wait until those "new year's resolutions" start kicking in.....the gyms are mental for at least 3 whole weeks......

Your pics are fabulous HY...you look great
    I'm going to the gym now right before work at 6:00pm when everybody is getting off work and getting there. When all the new year's people start going in I may have to change when I go and start donig my workouts after work at 6:30am instead. I'm used to working out in the early hours anyway so the afternoons are killing me now to begin with. I don't even want to think about what will happen in the next couple of months.
    What is elite?

Here's a link to the measurements:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...688#post337688
    LOL, sorry HY. I dont know why I forgot where everything was with your journal. Must be losing my mind. Damn good measurements man. Most are very close to mine.

Simplistic

Complaints: I have yet to find a CD player that won't quit cutting off on me. If it gets the slightest bump(well maybe a little more) it cuts off. Piece of ****!! This is the 3rd one I've tried. I spending more money on damn CD players. Any recommendations?
    Dude, stop buying CD players!

Click here

Originally posted by Neil

Dude, stop buying CD players!

Click here
    Now that's what I've been looking for. Thanks for the link Neil!
    What is elite?

Well I went to the grocery store yesterday. I've decided to really crack down on my diet. I'm trying to bulk so it won't be so strict that I won't go eat out every so often but the stuff I've been eating recently has really got me in the dumps.

Let's think abou this for a minute. Out of the week how many hours are there? 168. Well of that 168, how much time is spent in the gym? For me only 4. So that's only 2.4% of my week spent in the gym. The other 97.6% of the week is spent at work, eating, and sleeping. Now if I want to maximize my efforts in the gym I figure I have to maximize my efforts outside the gym too.

Well, "Duuhh," you say. Right now I'm getting 8-9 hours sleep every night. This is alot better than the 3-4 I was getting just a couple of months ago. Well now its time to change my diet too. Its also time to let go of some of the things that cause so much stress.

Stress can probably be one of the worst things a person can have. Its not going to help too much to hold on to the things that bring about this stress. Anyway, whatever, you aren't here to read about this crap.

Being that its morning time for me I've only had my first meal and the next is coming up soon. I'll be posting my daily diet about the time most of you are either getting up or going to work, when I'm gonig to bed.

<---- smiles showing vampire teeth
    What is elite?

I always take my mult and creatine. This was my off day so it'll definitely. Tomorrow will be different. I promise.

Meal 1: Weightgainer shake, 3 eggs, 2 pieces WW toast
    Meal 2: 2 turkey sandwiches on WW
    Meal 3: Chicken breast with brocolli
    Meal 4: Strawberries, 2 different kinds of dry cereal (mostly a snack)
    Meal 5: Oatmeal, cottage cheese with peaches
    Meal 6: shake and something else before bed (not sure yet, will edit later)

Being as I've started writing this down, it sure doesn't seem like enough. I've got to start packing more food.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 11-07-2002 at 06:40 AM.
    What is elite?

Give me back my diet you Bastard!, j/k

I had the Nike PSA for a while...I think you'll like it. I beat the sh*t out of it and it still worked. I even ran a half marathon with the sucker. I just sold it for $140 to a friend of mine...sucker. Nah, it had extra memory on it and a custom case. Eitherway, MP3 players are the way to go if you're working out.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

11/7 Leg day babay!! 191lbs.

Ahhh, the euphoria of a extremely horrendous leg day. (for me anyway, so STFU =) ) I absolutely love the way I feel after legs. Like I'm floating along. Laying on my back drifting down a long smooth river in a canoe. The sun shining down on my happy face giving me the most brillantly content smile that has ever graced the face of man. My body devoid of all pain and complications. Of course then I wake up, from being passed out on the floor. My leg writhing in pain and fire in my lungs, and then I have to go to work.

Enough ramblings, the workout:

warmup
    tri-set of light smithmachine squats, goodmornings, calfraises

seated hammer strength donkey like calf raise thingy
    SS w/
    seated calf raises

360x8 SS w/ 90x10
    410x8 SS w/ 110x10
    410x8 SS w/ 110x8 & 90x10

box squat speed work
    this was done with pretty light weight as I'm still getting used to the box squat
    135x10
    155x10
    185x10
    Form started getting better on these but I realized my hams aren't strong enough to really do a shins perpendicular squat. I kept pretty much falling down on the bench right at parallel. About an inch in there where I really need some strength.

squats
    255x4
    225x6

lying leg curls
    130x10
    150x10
    170x6 drop set to 130x8
    For some strange reason these felt extremely light. 130 was the most I had ever done before and when I did 150 for ten I was like, "Damn!" Same machine and everything so I don't know why these were different today.

SLDL
    225x10
    275x10
    295x8
    Again these felt light. Normally I only do 225 for 6 but then it was easier. I kept good form here too. Really felt this in my hams. Form started to suffer on the last few reps but still not ugly.

leg extensions
    200x10
    215x10
    Nothing really here. Just leg extensions.

one set of walking lunges
    165x10 (5 each leg)
    This just completely finished me off. I normally try to go for 12 reps but I was toast. I stumbled in to the locker room at this point.

I need to start doing calves more than once a week. Or just give them a day to themselves. I'm just not getting the calf work I think they need. I gave them priority today but it may have not been enough sets. I was running short on time anyway.

My sinuses or something are starting to bother me. Nose runney and stuffed up, sore throat. As far as strength I feel good, mentally I'm tired as a Goodyear factory. Good strength today but I'm just not hungry. Must eat. Must force food... need to recover.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 11-08-2002 at 05:14 AM.
    What is elite?

ectx: what are you using now that you sold yours? I keep looking. I get pretty particular about stuff that I buy that I'm goign to try to use for awhile ( I guess that's a good thing ).

I'm still keeping the diet. You can pry it from my cold dead hands. hehe. I want a roast beef sandwich on wheat.
    What is elite?

Energizer Bunnie

Re: 11/7 Leg day babay!!

The sun shining down on my happy face giving me the most brillantly content smile that has ever graced the face of man.
    ...and what a lovely face it is too

Your journal is rather perky these days....I like
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

ectx: what are you using now that you sold yours? I keep looking. I get pretty particular about stuff that I buy that I'm goign to try to use for awhile ( I guess that's a good thing ).

I'm still keeping the diet. You can pry it from my cold dead hands. hehe. I want a roast beef sandwich on wheat.
    I use an iPod. The little sucker rocks. It's pricey though, but then again, mine was a gift so I can't argue...and yeah, it works on XP and 2000 machines. I think there's even a patch out for Unix machines and they're selling the suckers at Best Buy and Target nowadays. The model I have is the first one out...5 gigs. The new ones hold 20 gigs. It has a 20 min buffer so no skips, and I run with mine...had it for a year...no problems. It's tiny too, and the 1494 connection is pretty damned fast.

I'm out of roast beef man. Seriously. I was really bummed when my roast beef on wheat turned into a can of tuna on wheat. I'm gonna cook up some chicken breasts and use them instead. I'll lend you my diet...for now...but when I get stronger, I'll come a prying!
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Your journal is rather perky these days....I like
    And how can my journal not start getting perkier with the nice comments getting tossed into the mix?

ectx: No roast beef!!! Ahhh, that's okay. I've got turkey tonight. I'd cooked up some chicken too. If I stay on your diet and add a little bit to it, hehe, you may be prying for a while.

That ipod sounds nice. I may have to be saving up some money. Christmas is around the corner too. I was thinking about getting a digital camecorder. The toys get more and more expensive. Have to start weighing the options.
    What is elite?