The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 51 of 278 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 6942
    Here's a link to the NC NPC's web page.
    http://www.ncnpc.org/default.htm

There is a show here April 26th, right up the road from me. Probably about 10 minutes at the most from my apartment.

Does anybody know if the NPC is drug tested? Taking a look at some of those guys in the open division I'm hesitant to think they test for much.

Here's a link to some pics from all of their NC shows from last year.
    http://www.ncnpc.org/Results.htm
    The link for the pics for this year's State show should be up soon (that's the one that was 2 weeks ago in Greensboro).

There is a show coming up in September that I keep thinking about. Right up in Boone, very close to my home town. I keep thinking about it but of course I'm still very hesitant. Its getting tossed around in my head more and more everyday... at least for the novice division.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Three words... GO FOR IT!!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

I agree with Workhorse, you should give it a try.

BTW, awesome workouts, especiallylegs, it must have been crazy training with B
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Yes go fo it Will. Thanks for that link. I checked out the pictures and the Juniors are definitely where I think I should be LOL. Or the Novice or Masters And I wasn't too impressed with some of the posing I saw by those folks. I sure hope I can get mine down better than some of those did.
    peace-

Craig

Willemina, I already told you on aim, you do that show and I'll drive down from St. Louis to watch you mang. It'll be a good excuse to meet up with everybody. DO IT DAMMIT, It builds character.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Fine workout Will, im not surprised you couldn't squeeze out a pull-up after that onslaught.

Hows work treating you at the mo? you play tekken? that game brings back some memories from back in the day havent played it since the first was released.

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Stu: LOL, I'm sure thinking about it. I could get some of my friends from home and have a massive cheering section. Then again I wouldn't want anybody to see but the people here who understand it more.

Edgar: Thanks man! Legs were crazy. I could have done nothing but that leg press strip set and felt like I had a great workout.

Craig: Being that its that soon, the novice is definitely where I'd want to be. I think you have a better understanding of posing than most people do who enter. So you are already one step ahead of the game. From what I saw at that one show, most look like they had just been looking at themselves in the bathroom mirror because their legs never got any attention. Even the ab and thigh pose was just abs and some made it looke more like a front double bicep than ab and thigh.

ec: LMAO, builds character eh? Somebody has been talking with me too long. I think more seriously about it everyday.

Big-Ron: Thanks man! Work is treating me fairly well at the moment. Things have been a little hectic but it gets that way around the end of the month so its calming down a little bit again. Tekken is a good one but Soul Calibur is by far my favorite game ever. I can remember sitting around the dorm playing that for hours on end. We spent almost as much time doing that as we did playing Quake over the LAN. Ahhh, some good time.

I'm going to try and bulk heavy for the next month to 6 weeks. I don't know the exact date of the show so I can't quite start planning on cutting until later. How long should my cut last for those in the know? 12 - 16 weeks. Since I'm already pretty lean I'm not particularly sure about the timing.

I guess its time to do a lot more reading. over in the anabolic forum j/k

or am i??
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 04-07-2003 at 02:32 PM.
    What is elite?

I say do it. I think you'll do really well.

Start tanning now.
    You can't babysit this.

Originally posted by carolinagirl
    Start tanning now.

*starts looking into local tanning salons*
    What is elite?

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by HomeYield

*starts looking into local tanning salons*
    I feel your pain, bro.

Borris: Sucks don't it man!

I'm going to talk to somebody at the gym tomorrow to see how much tanning is. I've about decided I'm going to at least attempt this one show.

Oh and muay thai and leg press strip sets do not go well together. Not a pleasant experience. Therefore it builds character.
    What is elite?

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    Stop rationalizing Will.
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by HomeYield
    Therefore it builds character.
    At what point exactly does one develop too much character?

You're attempting this show? Excellent. NPC drug tested? bahaha. That was a good one.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    sounds like you are going to go for it and enter a show! Just wanted to jump in and say good luck! Your workouts look aces man, you should do great!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Calfless
    HY: If u include tanning in with your membership it is $20 bucks a month....unlimited layin...

But if u r a pimp like me...you can sweet talk the girl behind the counter and they will let u lay for free....i know most of them....

Awesome to hear you're going for a show, HY! You're gonna kick ass, homesauce.

Great to hear you're going to do the show. Anabolic section That'll kick it up a notch.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

The Tuna Tempter
    Hey HY,
    Good luck with the show man. Should be interesting reading you journal in the coming weeks to see how your 'heavy bulk' and cutting phase goes.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

Nice! Good luck with your show bro!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

xraygal: But rationalizing buil.... I ain't even.

Belial: I don't know there is such a thing as too much. Hmmmm, not tested eh?

Kenn: I'm still debating but leaning that way. Thanks for the support man!

pagan: $20 huh? I might be able to find it cheaper. I'm not quite the sweet talker so that might not work for me.

Moses: Dude where you been? Missing your antics around here. I sure thinking about a show.

rookie: Its something to think about ain't it.

Tank: LOL, cutting? I have to do that? That might be a tad much.

Justin: Thanks for the support man! I might just need all the luck I can get.
    What is elite?

4/8 heartbreaking chest day 204lbs

Aight well today just plain sucked. Here's how it went.

dips:
    They don't have industrial vaccums that suck that much.

incline db bench:
    Decent but lacking.

flat bb bench:
    Somebody close that umbrella and get it out of my ass.

I just wasn't feeling it. So its time to sit back and reassess my goals. I've never been real sure whether I've been training for strength or size. Basically I've been training how I enjoy training. I've gained both some size and strength so I've been relatively happy. But now comes the dilemma of actually picking one side or the other. You can have both I know but you can optimize the training for either.

As most of you know, I train heavy and with lots of sets. Lots of sets. Lots and lots of sets. I'm still training the way I used to when I was 17 and 18 years old. Being 22 now, I think some of the things I had going for me then aren't working so well for me now. I was getting alot more sleep then. I wasn't eating as much or as good but still alot. Life was also a bit more laid back. Not nearly as much stress.

So what happens when you start to combine all this stuff? It makes recovery harder and I'm learning that. Albeit very slowly but surely nonetheless.

So what happens when the way you love to train isn't working for you anymore? What do you do then? You can't just keep training that way. Its constantly taking steps back without ever taking any steps forward. I've realized that even with adequate rest periods I'm not going to be able to train like this forever and make progress.

Which brings me to another issue of things to think about. If everything is spot on. Let's say I can get my sleep time up to where it needs to be. Everything is running smoothly and effeciently except my style of training isn't conducive to gains at my current state. But what if there was a way to continue to make gains?

Now I'm not saying that this is going to happen. I'm saying its an option that I'm more willing to consider now. I'm taking it more seriously but still very skeptical because I'm not sure it would really be as helpful in long run as I would like.

As of now I'm stuck at a crossroads. I love my style of training. I absolutely get so pumped when thinking about my next workout. That's why I have the hardest time staying out of gym and its doing more damage than I would care to think. I'm feeling run down. My gains have all but stopped. I'm suffering emotional from the torment of not seeing the gains I was. What do I do?

Here comes one of the hardest things I've done in a long time. I'm going to take a week or more away from it. I haven't taken more than a week off in over 3 years. 3 years. The most time away I've seen was for 4 days over spring break 2 years ago. This is going to build some character. Seriously though, I believe I really need this, despite how I'm going to be feeling even 2 days from now. I'll still go to muay thai though. It'll help ease the pain a little.

During this break, I'm going to evaluate my goals, my ambitions, my training, my diet, my sleep and the future. Until I can get this straightened away in my head, I'm not going to think about competeting. I've realized that I don't really do this for anything other than the pure enjoyment of lifting heavy things for myself. The thrill of breaking a PR. The excitement of pushing the physical and mental limits of the body, mind, and soul. That feeling of being drained and beaten but still filled with the intense euphoria of complete self-satisfaction. There isn't a better feeling and its what I live for. Sure there are perks to it but none of those compare. When it no longer is something you do to look good, or compete but when its something purely for yourself, can you truly love and emmerse yourself in the pain and pleasure. When its all about yourself, then you love it and realize that you can't live without it. Its at this point when its so valuable can you truly see where you want to go. I've seen this and I'm looking down 2 different paths. Which one I take is completely up to me and only me. Here's where the crossroads are and here's where I make my decision.
    What is elite?

No NPC is not tested. Novice here I come.
    peace-

Craig

We're all her for you if you need a sounding board... basically just do what you feel is most beneficial to you and what you want for your body. Good luck with the week off, its a HARD thing to do, believe me. Keep up the great work and like I said, we're all here for ya!!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Do that voodoo that he do
    So getting back to this whole umbrella thing... was it closed, or... open

I'll write more after I read some more of your soul-searching post.

Yes you need some time off for sure Will. Jesus I don't know how you have done it just being honest. I have repeatedly told you I can't believe how every workout you get the max out of what you do. (of course I can't understand how Alex does it either LOL). It isn't a bad idea to take a week off every 3 months. I just took 10 days off before starting my contest prep and it isn't easy believe me. But it is needed. And you must get your sleep pattern back on track or you will continue to suffer in the long run.

You can still find us a gym for Saturday though so we can pose some LOL.
    peace-

Craig