The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Basic damn question

Alright... I have heard so many different answers and explanations to this question, and I couldn't find what I was looking for using a search so here it is.

To build SIZE, should you use lower reps or higher reps, and what are the rep ranges for each? (IF, in fact, it is possible to build mass more than just strength).

I've heard so many different answers to this, and my take on it is, 4-6 reps for strenght, and 6-8 for size (unless its lower body and then it bumps to 6-8 for strength and 8-12 for size). Is this even close????

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would say that the 1-4 rep range is more geared towards activating neural activity (strength), and the 5-8 rep range is more geared towards hypertrophy (size). I like to do both. My first workset is in the 1-4 rep range and my second workset is in the 5-8 rep range. Been working well for me so far.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-24-2002 at 08:45 AM.

Banned
    everyone has a different opinion but the ranges you've posted aren't ridiculous...

generally, without getting all fancy and technical:
    less reps = more focus on strength
    more reps = more focus on hypertrophy

Thanks guys, cause I'm looking to build some mass over the winter here, and I want to make sure that I'll be doing the proper # of reps to generally give me the best results. Now I know that everyone is different and I'm going to have to make sure that I do what's best for me, but its always nice to know the "guidelines".

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.