The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Deadlift weight

Deadlift weight

I recently started deadlifting after about 1 year and a half of training, for the simple reason as I wasn't sure how great my form was and how to perform it properly. I started doing 115 at around 8 to 10 reps. Now I'm up to 155 doing about 5 to 6 reps. Is this good weight to go up in after 2 months of doing deads? I'm about 165 in weight and makes me sad that I can't dead as much as I weigh yet. Is there anyway to get a stronger dead? I do around 5 sets of deads, with a warm up of 95, then 135, 145, 155, then 95 again.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Grasshoppa
    Is there anyway to get a stronger dead?
    Eat a lot and keep doing them.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    20 lbs per month, 5 lbs per week on the average, while watching form, I suppose it is good.

I would consider progress good. Maybe not as much as yo want but it is progress. Keep working at it.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I started deads with 2 45's and i took about 6 months to get to 315 X 3 (including bar). I think it's wise to go slowly on this particular exercise, when you hurt yourself doing it, it tends to be a relatively serious injury.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Keep working on your form. I would start doing a semi-heavy single after warming up to see where your strength is. Usually with reps on a heavy weght your form suffers. It is easier to keep form on 1 rep than 6 with a big exercise like deads.

As far as progress goes, it depends on the lifter and their trainer(or lackof). My training partner was pulling mid-300's when I started training with him after not training deads for ages. A few months later he was pulling in the mid-400's and now a few months later is pulling ~500. I saw my girlfriend's deadlift go up 100 lbs in a few months. My sister had similar progress. If your technique is not geared towards speed/power, you most likely will not lift the most that you are capable of. Best idea is to get someone who is knowledgeable to help critique your form.

DeDLiFTs!!!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

beercan
    5 sets is too much man, that's the kind of crap that gives weekly deadlifting sessions a bad name, because of the excessive volume. Wow Latman, those sound like some awesome deadlifters, maybe you really are the deadlift guru.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I second the keeping reps very low, singles, maybe doubles. My weights gone up tremendously, and my form is much better doing them this way

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I'm still looking to meet a girl named Deadlift so I can marry her. I'm also in LATMAN's camp. The only time I do more than a single is when the weight feels like nothing, and only then so it gets rev'd up better for the heavy singles.

My normal deadlift has been going up 90lbs every month or two so far

I only convertional deadlift once a month to test my 1RM.

I went from 225lb to 315 in one month, 3 months ago. Then to 405lb one month a bit later. I'll be attempting 500lbs within the month or two. Hope I get it

Olympic lifts do wonders for my deadlift strength, that and romanian deadlifts are all I pretty much do that would help me in that area.
    But I have a big ass so that outta help

any Olympic lifter than can clean pull big weights can deadlift even more. see the attached pic to see what I mean..
    That is Chris Thibaudeau, a pic he sent me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 10-24-2002 at 10:01 AM.

i know- OLers are strong mofos.
    ive seen a dude do a 3x bw clean and jerk.
    id be fukkin happy with a 3x bw dead!