Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grid League

Grid League

What does everyone think about the National Professional Grid League (basically team crossfit competitions)?

https://www.npgl.com/

The league seems to have strong funding and they have a match coming up in Madison Square Garden this month.

A gentleman who I went to high school with is on the DC Brawlers, curious to see how the competitions go.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm really curious too. Tom, do you know who is behind the league?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm really curious too. Tom, do you know who is behind the league?
    I found this interview with some more information:

http://www.boxrox.com/people/2014/07...g-interview/#_

Also noticed that today on social media one of the teams (NY) did a 'flash WOD' where they did a workout in a park and people could come and train along side some of the high profile crossfitters including Annie T.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Got it. Thank you!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

They are live streaming the match from MSG tonight, I may try to check it out but will also be traveling for business so not sure if I will be online when the event is streaming.

Did you end up seeing it?

I did not have a chance to watch but I saw this article which includes a YouTube video:

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports/gri...on-a-new-sport

Seems to be some drama with Crossfit and mixed reviews on Facebook, although if they can continue to improve and gain popularity/sponsors I think it is an interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I did not have a chance to watch but I saw this article which includes a YouTube video:

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports/gri...on-a-new-sport

Seems to be some drama with Crossfit and mixed reviews on Facebook, although if they can continue to improve and gain popularity/sponsors I think it is an interesting concept.
    Yep, the founder used to work for CrossFit HQ I believe. I think HQ doesn't want their athletes involved with it.

Yep, the founder used to work for CrossFit HQ I believe. I think HQ doesn't want their athletes involved with it.
    Shocker

Crossfit HQ would do anything they could to stop this even at the expense of the athletes and spreading "fitness" to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Shocker

Crossfit HQ would do anything they could to stop this even at the expense of the athletes and spreading "fitness" to the masses.
    Well, you always have to remember what you don't know. Perhaps Tony had discussions with HQ, or the idea was being tossed about by them before he left and then he left to directly compete with them. In other words, we don't really know. I don't get the feeling Glassman is greedy. I think he wants to protect his brand, but that is not a bad thing in my book.

Well, you always have to remember what you don't know. Perhaps Tony had discussions with HQ, or the idea was being tossed about by them before he left and then he left to directly compete with them. In other words, we don't really know. I don't get the feeling Glassman is greedy. I think he wants to protect his brand, but that is not a bad thing in my book.
    I am fine with protecting your brand but the way HQ goes about it seems childish at times and makes me lose respect for them. If they wouldn't be so militant about squashing every single slightly negative thing said about Crossfit it would portray a better image. I guess if your product can stand on its own then you wouldn't need to look so desperate.

I like the whole cross for boom. I love going to weddings and the bar and having random people ask about squat shoes and deadlift technique. Now what I do isn't as alien to people I know.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I am fine with protecting your brand but the way HQ goes about it seems childish at times and makes me lose respect for them. If they wouldn't be so militant about squashing every single slightly negative thing said about Crossfit it would portray a better image. I guess if your product can stand on its own then you wouldn't need to look so desperate.
    I don't agree. CrossFit gets a LOT of flack especially in the social media world. You see it every day. I think that compels them to defend themselves at times. Another aspect of that is there are a lot of people who want to ride the CrossFit gravy train, or to get their piece of that pie, so they bash CrossFit in an effort to bolster their own brand/idea. Negative ideas and lies are spread more easily then ever thanks to the internet and that compels businesses to have to try to maintain their reputation more than they might have in the past.

As for it standing on its own merit, well, by pretty much any standard it has been wildly successful, so I would say it is doing ok on that front.

Well we can agree to disagree but I think the reason they get crapped on constantly is because of HQ. Clowns like Castro and the Russell's don't help much.

Well we can agree to disagree but I think the reason they get crapped on constantly is because of HQ. Clowns like Castro and the Russell's don't help much.
    What do you feel Castro has done to be called a clown?

What do you feel Castro has done to be called a clown?
    It is mainly just the way he conducts himself with such a level of arrogance. And while I am not a huge fan of Robb Wolf and Mark Rippetoe, I found the way that whole situation went down seriously lacked class.

Also, have you seen his deadlift video?

It is mainly just the way he conducts himself with such a level of arrogance. And while I am not a huge fan of Robb Wolf and Mark Rippetoe, I found the way that whole situation went down seriously lacked class.

Also, have you seen his deadlift video?
    Yes, I saw his deadlift video and his form was poor to be sure.

I can tell you from having met him and hung out with him, he isn't what you think he is. He really does strike me as a good guy.

Yes, I saw his deadlift video and his form was poor to be sure.

I can tell you from having met him and hung out with him, he isn't what you think he is. He really does strike me as a good guy.
    Well I will take your word for it then and give him the benefit of the doubt

He's also been very kind to me personally.

I think it sucks that they are suing the NSCA. Seems to me like deep pockets being a bully. I saw some of the Grid League stuff on youtube and I dug it.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think it sucks that they are suing the NSCA. Seems to me like deep pockets being a bully. I saw some of the Grid League stuff on youtube and I dug it.
    Maybe, but I can also understand the desire to protect your brand. If Mr. Glassman doesn't think this approach is right for his brand, I can understand him wanting to stop someone from doing it.

Looks like this is already dead. Not to say I am shocked but I didn't exactly see it being a money maker.

Looks like this is already dead. Not to say I am shocked but I didn't exactly see it being a money maker.
    Where did you see that? There was an article on CNN posted yesterday promoting Grid League:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/health...ional-fitness/

On Facebook there were posts saying that some of their financial backers dropped out and they have cancelled the events. Doesn't look good.

On Facebook there were posts saying that some of their financial backers dropped out and they have cancelled the events. Doesn't look good.
    Just saw it: https://www.facebook.com/profitnessleague

I am sure that Crossfit has something to do with it, which is somewhat unfortunate because I believe that they could have co-existed with NGPL as the 'king' for teams and then Crossfit being the primary spot for the individual superstars (and some crossover between the two).