Thread: Chin Ups

Wannabebig Member

Chin Ups

I am trying to figure out the role of each of the muscles used in chin ups. If you could please label each of the muscles as Primary, Secondary, or Stabilizer based on their role it would be much appreciated.

Latissimus Dorsi - Primary mover
    Inferior Trapezius -
    Rhomboids -
    Teres Major -
    Biceps -
    Brachialis -
    Brachioradialis -

Thank you for any and all help.

Also, if anyone has any exercises that could be used as lead ups to chin ups, they would be appreciated too.

Welcome,

They would all technically be listed as synergists in the motion with the exception of the biceps brachii which would be a dynamic stabilizer because it shortens at the elbow but lengthens at the shoulder.

It's good to see somebody with similar interests. You'd appreciate this site - http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Oh, and "lead ups"? You mean like, alternative exercises if you can't perform a good set of chins? Dumbbell or bentover rows are great lat workers, but personally I'd include negative-only chins in my routine for sure.

Wannabebig Member
    thank you very much. Hadn't thought of negative chins. Looking for exercises for beginners to progress them into chins.

Typically negatives are very effective in terms of hypertrophy. However, personal experience has shown me that heavy negatives work great to build strength in this lift. Just be careful.. Slow, heavy negatives are very stressful on the body. Start off only doing a few for your first few workouts and work into doing a bunch. When you feel that you've hit a wall, take a week or so off and start over. Progression (and diet) is key.

Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    again, thanks for your help. I am definitely going to be visiting this site often. Can't believe I got the response I was looking for so quickly.