Thread: morning cardio and lifting

Wannabebig Member

morning cardio and lifting

would it be better to do cardio in the morning and then in the afternoon weight train???

As oppose to what??

Yes this is a good idea.

Wannabebig Member
    would it be better for preserving muscle?

Need more info...
    are you looking to get big or tone up? When I start to tone I do intense cardio first thing on an empty stomach, then I will lift later in the day after eating the right things. I also like to do cardio first thing because it sets the tone for the day - it seems to work well for me. If I am in a "gaining" phase the only cardio I do is after a workout and not very intense. it is very tough to both gain size and loose weight at the same time (at least from my experience)

dave
    the only things holding you back are the limitations in your mind, not your body.

Wannabebig Member
    im looking to preserve muscle while cutting bodyfat

Then low intensity cardio would be best. Get your heart rate between 130-150 bpm and keep it there for atleast 45 min. People like 1st thing in the morning because you are burning bf because you haven't eaten anything yet. + it gives your metabolism a good boost for the rest of the day. But you can really do your cardio anytime because it jump starts your metabolism for 24 to 48 hours. I just wouldn't do it right before a lift. Save all your energy for pushing weight. After is cool.

Wannabebig Member
    ok thanks

ill do this then monday, wed, friday weight train and tues, thurs, and sat. morning cardio 40 min.

would that be enought cardio?

Everyones body is different, but thats a good starting point. Do it for a few wekks and then gauge the results. If you wanna cut more faster up the cardio lengths or frequency.

I really like the "peak intensity" cardio routines for cutting... like increasing your jog rate every minute for five minutes then repeating. Example: fast walk, jog, run, fast run, sprint...repeat ( one minute each). I find that I can cut the duration from 45 minutes to 20 minutes and get the same results. Whatever your cardio, remember that diet is king...

dave
    the only things holding you back are the limitations in your mind, not your body.

Wannabebig Member
    thatdaveguy do you do this "peak intensity" cardio in the morning on an empty stomach or not?

Originally posted by thatdaveguy
    I really like the "peak intensity" cardio routines for cutting... like increasing your jog rate every minute for five minutes then repeating. Example: fast walk, jog, run, fast run, sprint...repeat ( one minute each). I find that I can cut the duration from 45 minutes to 20 minutes and get the same results. Whatever your cardio, remember that diet is king...

dave
    Would performing such intense cardio on an empty stomach cause the body to break down more muscle than fat? Could be wrong about this, anyone care to clarify?

I do it first thing on an empty stomach with only a fat burner and 2 glasses of water in me. Im sure it does break down more muscle that if you eat first but it really seems to help me cut down quickly and I have not personally noticed a bigger muscle loss this way. Id also like others to comment on their experiences!

dave