The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lat development

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    looks similar to mine GIS, but I can't do shrugs everytime, my traps get WAY too out of proportion if I do. I don't think that's overtraining by any means

Originally posted by Saturday Fever

I'm not calling you out, by any means, but what makes you think that volume isn't overtraining?
    It's overtraining for some, and it's not for others. It depends on ones genetic capabilities.

Originally posted by MonStar
    BCC:

Out of curiosity what grip does your partner use on bentover rows? Also imagine how much larger his back / lats would be if he incorporated chins into his routine.
    Overhand grip. Not too wide.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

MACHINE
    Regardless of back genetics, strength, steroids, training results, etc, the bottom line is this: Pulldowns and pullups require more lat involvement than do rows, therefore they are more efficient and effective movements for working the lats.

Good genetics often don't show up until someone starts working out, so what they looked like before could be irrelevant. One of my friends was a fricken beanpole a year ago, about 6', 150 lbs and looked like he wouldn't find much success in weight training. He didn't hava ANY impressive bodyparts. He started working out, and put on 35 lbs, and it turns out his shoulders responded unbelievably to training. He benches 285 now, and has some unbelievable delts for his size. You would have never known before though. Does he have those great shoulders because of what he does or doesn't do in the gym? No. That's just how his delts responded to training.

My legs were so small relative to my upper body when I was younger that kids called me chicken legs when I wore shorts. Now, they're 26" and I train them only once every 2 weeks with relatively low intensity because that's all I need.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I think again, your body responds different to different exercises. For me, when I do chins, I feel more shoulder and pec involvement. Yeah, I do feel my lats some, but nothign compared to any row movement.

wg pullups, lat pulls and flat bench... that's all you need
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

flat bench? for back?

k, anyway

Now, about chins being better than rows. I disagree, and here's my logic. If I do chins first, and then rows, my row weight does not suffer. However, if I do rows first, and then chins, I can hardly do anything for chins. It would seem that rows are a more exhaustive exercise for the chest. However, if you are claiming that chins work a part of the lat, that is not worked by rows, and thus are neccesary for that reason, I could understand it better. However, for overall lat development, I see no reason for both chins and rows heavy, in the same session

Originally posted by Accipiter
    Now, about chins being better than rows. I disagree, and here's my logic. If I do chins first, and then rows, my row weight does not suffer. However, if I do rows first, and then chins, I can hardly do anything for chins.

I've experienced the same thing.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Me two.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Yeah! Down with chins!
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

3:16
    when I do chins, my second set amount of reps drops a lot.
    Its even worse If I have done rows.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Now, about chins being better than rows. I disagree, and here's my logic. If I do chins first, and then rows, my row weight does not suffer. However, if I do rows first, and then chins, I can hardly do anything for chins. It would seem that rows are a more exhaustive exercise for the chest.
    Wow, I just read this and had to respond. Theres no way that friggin' chins do not activate as much of the lats as do rows. I mean I dont know about you guys, but chins I feel completely in my lats. Right under my damn armpits. Rows I feel in my back too---but it seems that rows I feel more in my mid-traps, etc.

Opinions on this?

Originally posted by Accipiter
    Now, about chins being better than rows. I disagree, and here's my logic. If I do chins first, and then rows, my row weight does not suffer. However, if I do rows first, and then chins, I can hardly do anything for chins.
    I agree with your observation, but not with your conclusion. At least for me, anyway. The reason your rows don't suck after doing chins is that you don't use lats as much as traps for rows. You've fatigued your lats on chins, but it's the traps that are worked harder for rows,

You need every ounce of power from your lats for chins, but doing rows first uses up enough of your lats to make the chins harder or impossible.

Another observation I've made recently: I quit doing chins for several weeks because of tendonitis in my forearms. I did seated cable rows exclusively during that time. My lat spread whithered away during that time, despite my progressing steadily on rows. I just started doing wide grip pullups again last week and I can already see a noticeable improvement in lat appearance in that short time.

Your mileage may vary.

Geeze......a lot of times, chins make up the majority if not the totality of my back workout.

Anybody saying they don't work the lats is either not doing them right or not using enough weight. Probably both.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Anybody saying they [chins] don't work the lats is either not doing them right or not using enough weight. Probably both.
    :withstupi
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 11-13-2002 at 08:51 PM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Realistically, I don't see myself ever doing another chin.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    From an appearance standpoint, my lats suck. From a functional strength standpoint, my lats are quite alright.

In terms of bodybuilding I feel that chins are definitely necessary. In terms of a powerlifting standpoint they maybe a bit less important though. Because us bodybuilders want wide, flaring lats. Powerlifters seem to use lats as a support muscle group in a sense. Not in the way that bodybuilders need them.

Chins seem to aid in the lat spread and squeezing your lats a bit differently. More similar to DB pullovers. Rows to me seem to hit your mid-lats more. I know that you cannot isolate parts of your back I am just speaking of where I feel the movements the most. I dont feel bentover rows in my lats right under my armpits like I do BTN chins. Just an observation.

I cannot imagine a back routine without chins. Seems like a chest routine without presses or something.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Anybody saying they don't work the lats is either not doing them right or not using enough weight. Probably both.
    Agreed.

BENT OVER BARBELL ROW
    AND WIDE GRIP PULL DOWNS
    AND BEADLIFTS THAT'S IT!
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

Originally posted by bigkevin20
    ...AND BEADLIFTS THAT'S IT!
    What are beadlifts??

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Originally posted by Workhorse
    What are beadlifts??
    Anal beads perhaps?tuttut

I'd go with deadlifts instead.