The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Muscular Endurance/Stamina and reps

I wanted to get a few opinions about this subject. I am heading to Costa Rica on a surfing trip this February and I wanted alter my training a bit so that it is geared a little more towards endurance/stamina. I will be paddling for several hours a day and I don't think my current routine(modately heavy) helps when it comes to the stamina I need. Do you think an increase in total reps per set and lowering the weight is they way I should go? WIll this increase muscle stamine and hopefully lessen the fatigue factor?
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.
    Homer's Brain: It's a deal!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    It has been proven conclusively that muscle hypertrophy/strength gains do in fact assist in muscular endurance. Basically, strongers muscles don't have to work as hard to generate effort "X" as weaker muscles, therefore they can generate effort "X" for longer.

But I don't know that you would want to change your weight training too much... what you might want to do is change your cardio/off day training to reflect the need to build up stamina in your arms/shoulders.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest you sub in rowing and/or hand-bike training for your cardio from now until then... that oughta help.

Guess I never thought of it that way...Thanks

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.

Wannabebig Member
    Keep your heavy workout regime but add the two c's - Cardio and Creatine
    "a nice (addition)

Be careful with the creatine though, I've found a big complaint about Creatine users are muscle cramps. I also find I have a higher percentage of cramping when on the stuff. Not sure muslce cramps and surfing go together. I do agree with everything else though, Up the Cardio big time. The Rowing machine in your case will benifit you greatly. Take if from an Ex-USN;Seal/UDT. Cardio my brother.
    Peace and Out
    Fire

A buddy of mine was Seal Team 4 and now he is Seal Team 6...anti-terrorist ****....he lives in PA too. I see you are in Jersey.

Wannabebig Member
    The two best things you can do for stamina and endurance (IMO) is running and swimming. Try running with a weighted pack for longer distances, and throw in some swimming. When I do cardio, I run approximatley 3-miles to the pool, swim 1000 meters, then run the 3-miles back. On other days, I would hit the gym for a light weight/high reps session, then either run or swim. Calistenics work great also.

Keep some high-weight work in there.....but you can start focusing on 20-30 rep work if you'd like.

I like the idea about running and swimming as well.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I am begining to increase the running but keeping my workouts relatively the same except for one or two things...thanks all great advice