The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Help.....

MACHINE
    Stick with the low volume routine once every three days for now. I think you said it was working, right? Once you have been training for a while(at least 6 months straight) and/or your results aren't what they used to be, you may want to break up the routine a little and add a couple more sets for each bodypart. Training a muscle once a week is enough, providing you put enough emphasis on that bodypart the one time a week you train it. This doesn't mean you need to do a ton of sets, it just means you have to get the most out of each set you do by increasing weight/reps/intensity. I train each bodypart once a week(6-7 days), and don't do more than 6-7 sets per bodypart. You better believe that those sets are some killer sets though. I don't get on the bench and do a couple sets of 10 with a weight I can get 12 reps with. Just the opposite actually - I'll get on the bench and get a couple sets of 12 with something I should only be able to get 10 reps with.(better have a spotter) Keeping this kind of intensity up throughout a workout isn't easy, which is why you do so few sets and only one or two bodyparts per workout. I would never be able to do a total body workout with this intensity.

I think that once you're ready to change up your workout, a "push/pull/legs" split may be a good workout for you. It'll be a good opportunity for you to increase your intensity and break up the bodyparts a little, without shocking you too much. In this routine you workout every other day(at least that's what I suggest) doing upper body push exercises in one workout(chest/shoulders/tris), pull upper body exercises in the next workout(back/bis), and legs in the next workout. Do a search for some good push/pull/legs routines whenever you feel ready to make that progression.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MACHINE
    Hey, how did my post get up there?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Wannabebig Member

Help.....

Every time before i workout i come in here to read some stuff...and get "psyched out"....but really im left wondering about my routine.....

.....i would say i've lifted for a while, although probably no more than 3 solid months in a row....and now im about a month into "this run" after everybit of 8 months off......my arms having went from 15.75 to about 14....and my waist from about 39 to 32....

..........my routine is nothing like yall's....it doesnt seem to be anyway.....i workout every "3 days"...and my routine is pretty much 3 sets on the bench, 2 sets rows, 2 sets shoulder presses, and 2 sets bicep curls(and of course abs and squats)....i did about 6 sets each "last time around"..and seemed like i was overtraining(no doubt)( i did seem to grow faster though..but no strenght)...this time in a month i've added a "solid" 15 lbs to every exercise..so not so bad....could be me just "getting it back" though.........

...........last time i posted something it was suggested i do the WBB1 routine...and i have given it some thought.......the only problem is i've read everything there is to read on this stuff and im an idiot by nature and therefore am perplexed....it seems "so many sets" on one muscle group...only "once" aint enough....i dont know though( i havent tried it..im scared to i dont want to waste my time).............any help.........................

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Please define what you mean by "every three days". Do you mean once every three days or do you mean a Monday-Wednesday-Friday type split? Also it would help if you could tell us your routine. I know you posted it, but you didn't specifically say if you did this routine every time you workout, or if you trained different bodyparts each time. If you could give us this information, it would also really help

Wannabebig Member
    OK...thanks gino...i actually think(after my last workout)..that if i take "more rest"..i can focus on ONE body part and get better results...whereas now probably what is happening is im getting more of a "general" upper body workout by doing the whole thing at once....

...ExtremeAnabolic..let me be more clear(sorry)...i do the whole thing one day and wait "3 days" and do it again(mabye not anymore)..like monday then thursday then sunday and so on..but i do abs just whenever usually twice a day every other day....

...my last workout wasn't all that great(i lost a bout a rep an exercies..yea yea not that much loss but ....i dont like it)...im not so sure if its "really" working or not....and a month is plety time to get "warmed up" again...so i think i better not mess around this time..as i want to "get it done"...and i've seen time and time again YALL proposing "this stuff"..and i did train with about six setsa bodypart "one time"(same 3 day thing)..and before the overtraining set in..i thought i was growing good...

..and as far as my sets and weights are concerned..well im no where near as strong as i have been ( lost about 90 pounds on the bench..which i would claim i added 50 pounds in 3 months...last time)..but i do "give it my all"...i usually do a 'warm-up set" at about 12 reps(maybe not a warm up set as to when i get up to about 15 or 16 reps i will add 10 instead of 5 to the next "10rep set)..then i add 5 or 10 and do 10reps..and then i add 5 more and get 5 or 6 reps...and i do "something similiar" to every exercise...

.........and to all those that gave that advice on not taking the barbell all the way to the chest..great stuff...my arms are probably a little long for my 5'8" frame ..and i was always taking it all the way down..but now i dont and i can really "feel it" in my chest like i didnt before....great stuff....................