Wannabebig Member

Focus on building arms BIG..

Here is my current routine

Mon:Chest
    Tues:Back
    Wed:LEGS
    Thurs:Arms
    Fri: Shoulders

NOW... What i want to do is work my arms 2x a week (biggest part of my upper body taht i want to focus on and make big..bicep/tricep)

So i was thinkn to change around my routine like this:

MONDAY:Chest - bicep/Tricep
    wed:Legs
    thurs:Shoulders
    Friday:Arms

So my tri's will be worked on the CHEST day... (Ill start with my CHEST workout first) and get the arms going after that... The only crappy thing is ill do my back the next day and ill use a bit of my biceps.. But no biggy (Since i never have sore biceps) Triceps yes.. But not biceps..

So ill have my 3 day break after that and hit the arms again FRIDAY..

What do you guys htink? I really want to focus and make my arms alot bigger.. 15.5" right now... I want atleast 17" 17.5 by JUNE..

What do you guys think
    Exchange the cold days for the sun....

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    First off, you are training too much. Five days a week (especially if you want to focus on your arms) is WAY too much. The arms are small muscles and can be quickly overtrained. Secondly, forget about soreness. It is NOT a indicator of anything, except how much your muscles are damaged. And it is not an reliable indicator of growth. Thirdly, on the current routine you have posted you are working arms (both directly and indirectly) FIVE times (not days) a week. Here's why.

When you work chest you are doing arms (triceps) When you work back you are doing arms (biceps). When you work shoulders you are working arms (for example military press uses triceps) And you are going to be working arms after chest and then giving arms their own day on Friday. Add all those times up, and you will be working arms five times a week. Twice on Monday, once on Tuesday, once on Thursday and once on Friday. The only break your arms are getting is on Wednesday. I would suggest trying Mr. Mason's arm routine. Maybe do a search and look for "arm routine".
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-27-2002 at 01:57 AM.

I would suggest Mason's arm routine as well.. even tho Ive never tried it hehe. But if your old routine is working well for you and you dont want to change it that much try this split.

MONDAY:Chest - Bicep/Tricep
    Tues:Legs
    wed:Back
    thurs:Off
    Friday:Arms+Shoulders
    Weekend:Off

This way you won't be hitting the same muscles on consecutive days and should give you enough time to recover depending on your set/rep scheme. Don't fall into the overtraining hysteria on these boards. The best way to find out what works is to try it out for a few weeks and see what happens.

Overtraining Hysteria....Amen to that Sin, Amen to that.

People are just petrified by this Overtraining Phenomenon.

A Fortnight Dead
    Yep. No less than fifteen sets per body part if you want to really get HYOOOGE.

and remember to work the upper chest...can't forget that....

"human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

If you want big arms, just concentrate on getting everything big.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yah.

p.s. working out 5 days a week isn't too much. it's just the way you have it divied up.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    If you want big arms, just concentrate on getting everything big.
    Exactly. Whenever you see guys with BIG arms, they are usually pretty big period. And the few times I have seen guys with HUGE arms that aren't real big otherwise, they just look stupid to me.

I'm with Chase, concentrate on the larger muscles like legs, back and chest and your arms will grow just fine.
    peace-

Craig

Ace advice.

Working arms twice a week may not make them bigger... but gaining 20 pounds of muscle will.

You are not going to gain 20 pounds of muscle worrying about how often you train your arms, you'll gain it making your squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, and chins all better.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member

:D

Oh, of course i work other parts heavily! I just have an arm fetish tahts all

Plus im competing agaisnt my uncle on who wil have bigger arms haha!
    Exchange the cold days for the sun....

Give the arm routine I came up with. It will add 1/2" to your arms in 1 month. Give it a go!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Accipiter
    yah.

p.s. working out 5 days a week isn't too much. it's just the way you have it divied up.

I take it then you believe one could do squats, deadlifts and bench press five days a week, and take each set to failure? This wouldn't be too much?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-30-2002 at 08:34 AM.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Mon:Chest
    Wed:LEGS
    Thurs:Arms
    Fri: Shoulders

he wouldn't be doing those 5 days a week with that setup. But yeah, doing those exercises you just mentioned to failure, once each week, yeah, that's doable. I do it. I think most do. If he put a rest day, say after legs, that'd be fine.

Chris's routine is great but read it carefully, you don't want to do it for too long.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Yes, but he wants to specialize on his arms. Doing a specialization program (like Mr. Mason's for example) as well AS a five day work week, would very likely lead to overtraining of the arms. This holds especially true if one is natural. If someone wants to specialize on his arms, then he is going to have to cut back on work for the rest of his body. Chest uses arms as well as back. Very easy to overtrain on that kind of regime where you have a a program for just arms and then work chest and back and legs and shoulders. That would mean he would be working arms four times a week. And using Mr. Mason's program would mean that would be a no-no, I believe.

Good point on specialization.

I would suggest another approach.

Arm specialization isn't going to add 1.5 inches, and someone with 15.5 inch arms *probably* still needs to work on getting EVERYTHING bigger.

Ergo, I would suggest not specializing on arms.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.