Thread: The line that splits a 3-pack into a 6-pack.

The line that splits a 3-pack into a 6-pack.

Is this a function of training or will the separation come from a lower bodyfat %? Thanks.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Lower bodyfat, ab training will only affect how far your abs 'stick out' from the tendons running up and down and side to side, you need to cut bodyfat to get more definition.

Im a noob though so thats probably wrong.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    1. genetics 2.low bf

Well, I was nearly there
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Originally posted by Accipiter
    1. genetics 2.low bf
    I know genetics determine a 4, 6, or 8 pack, but are there people who cant get the split in the middle? Thanks for the replys, abs are all about the BF%!!
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Assipiter is right... lol... genetics, then body fat.

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Wannabebig Member
    BF% and genetics
    "a nice (addition)

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    that's homoccipiter to you. and yeah, that line is genetic and bf

That vertical line in the midline is called the linea alba. It's connective tissue that connects the left and right rectus abdominis muscles. It's a common site for ventral hernias. Some people are also unlucky enough that the two rectus muscles don't meet in the midline at all- the muscles deviate laterally. Whenever these people tense their abdominal walls, they get a big bulge between the rectus muscles. This is called a diastasis recti, and is not considered to be a repairable hernia.

stop blaming everything on genetics, if you build muscle, when you go low bf you have more definition than if you dont build muscle and go low bf.

build as much muscle in your abs as you can, then when you go low bf you'll have more definition, when you lose fat your body doesnt lose fat in one area it loses it all around, so the way your body looks in terms of shape has alot to do with how you've trained not just how you diet, if diet is everything why weight lift at all?

Look at the pic of Ronnie Coleman here. He has a diastasis recti. He has enough development of the underlying obliques, transversus abdominis, and transversalis fascia that he doesn't have the bulge between the rectus bellies that "normal" people with a diastasis have.

Originally posted by Delphi
    Look at the pic of Ronnie Coleman here. He has a diastasis recti. He has enough development of the underlying obliques, transversus abdominis, and transversalis fascia that he doesn't have the bulge between the rectus bellies that "normal" people with a diastasis have.
    So the two ways it can look is like coleman or levrone in that pic? Levrone's would be the "norm" I guess. Thanks again for the info guys

Good point Lucian. People on this site use genetics too much as an out.