The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My Training Routine

Hi All,

I've been bodybuilding for a few years now and i took up this new routine a month ago, i just wanna know if any important modifications can be made to my routine. Am i over or under-working a particular muscle? is it in good order? Any comments will be appreciated. I use Micronised Creatine( loading phase).

W/O Routine(Mon/ Wed/ Fri):

Chest: Flat Benchpress (5sets 6-10reps)
    Dumbell Flies(5sets 8-12)
    Incline Benchpress(5sets 6-10)
    Decline Benchpress(5sets 6-10)

Back:
    Deadlift(5sets 8-10)
    Bent-Over Rows(5sets 8-10)
    Dumbell Rows(5sets 8-12)
    Deadlift Rows(5sets 8-10)

Legs: Squats(5sets 15-20)
    Leg Extensions(5sets 15-20)
    Leg Curls(5sets 8-12)

Fore-Arms: Standing Wrist Curls(5sets8-12)
    Seated Wrist Curls(5sets 8-12)
    Hammer Curls(5sets 7-10)

Calves: Standing Calve Raises(5sets till failure)
    Seated Calve Raises(5sets till failure)
    One Leg Calve Raises(5sets till failure)

Abs: Situps(with dumbell)(5sets8-12)
    Ab curls(5sets 8-12)

W/O Routine( Tue/ Thu/ Sat):

Biceps: Barbell Curls(5 sets 8-12)
    Seated D/bell Curls(5 sets 8-12)
    D/bell Concentration Curls(5 sets till failure)
    High-Rep Spring curls(5 sets till failure)

Triceps: Close-grip Benchpress(5 sets 8-10)
    Front-grip Tricep Extensions(5 sets 8-12)
    Rear-grip Tricep Extensions(5 sets 8-12)
    Tricep Kick-Backs(5 sets 12-15)

Shoulders: Front Press(5 sets 8-12)
    Upright Rows(5 sets 8-10)
    Lateral Raises(5 sets8-10)
    Shrugs(5 sets 10-15)

Fore-Arms: Standing Wrist Curls
    Seated Wrist Curls
    Hammer Curls

Calves: Standing Calve Raises
    Seated Calve Raises
    One Leg Calve Raises

Abs: Situps(with dumbell)
    Ab curls

Thank You

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Can someone also explain to me in detail how to do deadlifts and deadlift rows properly, i just started to do them and they feel quite dangerous for the back and side abdomen muscles. Should i keep my back straight? Use a lighter weight for more reps? should i not hold my breath as i lift the weight?

Grasshoppa
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Look up deadlifts.

Is that a 5x5 routine? I'm not too versed with them, so I don't know. But it looks to me like you are overtraining. Looks like you are doing like 20 sets for each muscle group.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 10-31-2002 at 09:04 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

My advice would be to ask a trainer/someone in your gym to show you how to do deads. That way they can watch and correct your form while they teach you. And until you get it right, do not even think about going heavy. (you can screw up a little too easy on deadlifts if you don't know what your doing.. that's why i make those suggestions)

And my thoughts on the routine, is to scrap it. It's way too much volume, and just doesn't work. Your trying to do back/chest/legs all on one day? Even if you cut down the sets (like you should) there is no way you're body is going to be able to give it your all on all three of those. No way.

Now lets say you can. Then again, in two days you hit it all over again. That's not enough time to heal. Not even close. And then to make matters worse, you do bis/tris/shoulder on the days inbetween those major three. Now, bis will be worked with back and tris with chest already, and then you work it the next day, day after day..

Cut down the volume and the work load. Three/four days a week is plenty. As people on here are so fond of saying "you grow out of the gym, not in it." Try something like a push/pull/legs split or chest/back, legs, shoulders/tri/bis.. something like that. Not everything every second day, and then the minor stuff inbetween those days.
    LaLa

Thanx, i will modify it immediately.
    I got that routine from a website which stated it was arnold schwarzeneggers routine, so i took it and modified it a little according to my equipment availablility at home.
    Does anyone know where i can get arnold schwarzeneggers real routine?

Not a clue, but I'd say skip looking for the pros routine or anything like that. You gotta remember that a lot of them are genetic marvels + drugs. A normal person will not obtain the same breathtaking results by following their routine, and it probably won't even be the best routine for said normal person.

Look around at the wannabebig routines.. You might find one of them interesting. Or take a glance at the routines in peoples journals on this site.. You'll probably find something to your liking that'll work better for you.
    LaLa

Wow, I couldn't do that much in a day.
    Example...today was my chest \ back day. I did 9 sets for chest and 10 sets for back....My arms were exhausted.

I've always wanted to be like the pros, is it possible with a routine with less workload ?

i would feel really guilty if i took away some workload from my current routine.

You'll get better results on a lower volume routine + rest + eating right then you'd get on something like what you posted. How's that for an answer?
    LaLa

As to the guilt thing, I know the feeling. When I first started out, I was doing something very similar to what you posted. In fact, I was doing something that made that look like low volume. After two months, I had shrunk. How's that for a lack of results? I was eating like a pig, hurting like hell (never really got rid of the pain from one workout before I started the next), and getting weaker week by week.

Then, I took the advice of some people on this board, and started WWB1. Felt like **** doing it. I mean, I wasn't hurting (well, I was.. but in comparision to 9 sets per muscle group it was nothing.. absolutely nothing). I left the gym feeling like I could and should do more. In about 2 weeks I had better results then in those two months.

And I feel like I should be selling something here. But that's my story. I can back up why of it with some science research, but I'll sum it up instead with this -- more is not more. If you aren't healing then you aren't building muscle. with a routine that high in volume you will be tearing apart the muscle and not letting it heal, ripping apart muscles that aren't healed, and doing that over and over. That doesn't give the body time to get stronger/bigger. It gives the body the desire to eat away at it's own muscle because they are open, festering wounds.
    LaLa

But i have used this routine for a month now and it has given me a huge strength increase and noticable size gain. My forearms are much bigger now, biceps were always very big same with the tris, chest is growing too. Im sorry im being abit stubborn i still got alot to learn, i just turned 18.

In which case, do it. Worry about changing it up when you start to lose the gains. You'd probably be able to get better results with going heavy for less sets, but try it when you chose to.
    LaLa

More results by going heavy?
    the current workout i do is heavy, i perform every excercise with the maximum amount of weight i can lift for about 8-12(or 6-10 for chest) reps until i just cant do another one.

I don't doubt what you are doing is heavy now.
    And check your PM, Venom. Seeing as this has pretty much become a discussion between the two of us.
    Last edited by Nights; 10-31-2002 at 11:15 PM.
    LaLa

Grasshoppa
    Sooner or later your gains will stop. I assume you're pretty new to the lifting game or are just getting serious about it. That seems like way too much volume.

And it doesn't even seem like you take time off to rest. Remember, your muscles grow outside of the gym, not in it.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

What about bodybuilders such as Lou ferigno? they train 4-5hours a day for 6 days a week and they are that big, why dont they need time to rest?

Drugs do come into play....

And I doubt Lou realistically trains 4-5 hours per day. It would be a generous waste of time.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

they can train that long cause they use cell-tech and nitro-tech, duh.

your not getting my point, im not asking how they can train 4 hours a day, thats exactly what i do( 4-5hours a day 6 days a week) which is why im asking is is true that the pros do it. I saw that video called STAND TALL featuring lou ferigno, and arnold schwarzenegger said if lou continued to train 4 -5hours a day, he would be the best bodybuilder ever.

Grasshoppa
    Pump yourself full of gear and you can continue to train that long if you really want to gain.
    Shao-LiN

If you want to train like a pro then train like Dorian Yates, 2 work sets, about 3-4 exercises, with 6-10 balls to the wall reps

Train 3 days a week using the splits the guys in earlier posts suggested and eat like your life depended on it.

Training as you are at the moment, I bet you haven't put much weight on since you've been using it

Train like this for a month or two and watch your weights in the gym and the scale soar

PS. About Lou's video, you must remember that was filmed in mid to late 70's where it was the norm to do 20 plus sets and train for hours.

Compare Lou to Dorian......I know which I would want to look like

Good Luck

DD

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    That is insane volume. You may be growing on that, but not for much longer, I promise. The pros are the way they are because of genetics and drugs. For the average person, their routines are hopeless. Do you want to kill or cripple yourself? Keep on doing that routine. I would suggest doing the WWB1 routine. Also take a look at some of the bigger (natural) guys journals on here. Check the volume they use. It's way less than yours.