The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip strength

You use a staggered grip on rows?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Wannabebig Member
    Does "staggered" = over under grip?

bone crusher
    a staggard grip on rows?

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Homer
    Does "staggered" = over under grip?
    a staggered grip on rows doesn't make sense if its an over under grip, that's why I'm asking.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    You use a staggered grip on rows?

No. Read that again. I use a staggered grip on deads, not on rows. That was a difference I was noting, along with the hand chalk on my heavy sets for deads.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Accipiter
    aaah, I see, I use a staggered grip on rows as well as deads.
    I think he was talking about Accipiter not you Chris.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yeah, I switch grip every set though, flip it i mean. If I use a same ways grip for my sets one of my wrists always tweaks out on me.
    Last edited by Accipiter; 11-02-2002 at 05:01 PM.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    yeah, I switch grip every set though, flip it i mean. If I use a same ways grip for my sets one of my wrists always tweaks out on me.

So, it could be said that your no-use of straps has left you with "pussy" wrists, no?

I am saying this to point out the fallacy of your previous statements, not to make fun of you.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I think you and Belial should have a fight but all you can use are your backs.
    What an odd looking fight that would be.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I've been finding here lately that my grip strength is getting *far* outpaced by what my back muscles can handle. I'd be restricting progress across my whole body by not using them.

the deadlift will be raw soon enough
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 11-02-2002 at 05:10 PM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    I wonder if the use of a staggered grip isn't the reason your wrists are "tweaking" out on you.
    I think you would be better off either using the same grip on both hands or using straps if needed.

Have you ever tried a thumbles grip while doing rows? I've found that my forearms don't give out doing so.

Originally posted by chris mason

So, it could be said that your no-use of straps has left you with "pussy" wrists, no?

Yeah, he's got mega limp wrist
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

A. F.
    deadlift raw?

explain ninja.

Originally posted by Spawn_X
    deadlift raw?

explain ninja.
    no straps I think, or nothing assisting him like a weight belt.......
    hardcore

I meant that I don't normally use any equipment.....but I'm currently using straps on deads due to the fact that I let my grip work slip lately.

I'll get some chalk sooner or later, which will hopefully help alleviate the problem along with the grip triaing I've resumed.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Straps are an excellent tool for lifting (pussy forearms not withstanding) I personally use them for deadlifts over 250 lbs. The macho attitude of "I don't need any equipment" is going to get more than a few people on this board injured, and sooner rather than later. I have been in this game a long time, and have never suffered a serious injury due to proper form AND the proper use of equipment ( straps and a belt for my heaviest deadlifts).
    Sure, not using equipment may make you look manly, but you will not look so manly when you are on the operating table with a slipped disc. Bottom line: Equipment, when used properly can greatly extend your lifting life. As for straps "hurting" arm development here are some stats (Bicep=16", forearm=12.75" wrist 6.3) As you can see my forearms are in proportion to my upper arms. If you can do a deadlift (or other lift raw) then by all means do so. But no-one should feel pushed into doing raw lifts, or not use equipment that might prevent an old injury from re-occuring. Do what works for you, and don't worry about others who may or may not be using straps.tuttut
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 11-03-2002 at 02:27 AM.

If that was directed at me:

Equipment is not for safety. If you're going to get hurt on a lift, you're going to get hurt. Straps, belts, knee wraps, bench shirts, etc, do nothing for safety. They help provide support to perform the lift, and nothing more.

bone crusher
    Extreme i agree with you to a significant extent. There is no doubt in my mind that one should work maximum poundage that is (safely) possible. I do disagree with you on the use on lifting belts (i have never used a belt, even on 1 RM- although i am not) in for reasons power mentioned.
    However, power i do believe in the case of straps, there is a signifcant safety issue in terms of deadlifts or rows. if one is attempting a heavy dead that may exceed grip capacity then there are safety issues related to dropping the bar in an uncontrolled fashion
    Last edited by the doc; 11-03-2002 at 10:09 AM.

A. F.
    if your grip is hurting your dl, then train grip seperately and use straps to progress in deadlift and such..

damn, i got 15" arms and 13" forearms.. my forearms were a stinking joke, but thanks to captains of crush i gained an inch and a half.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    i just have bad wrists, my whole life i have, even before working out. Nothing's really changed them, no exercise strengthens them, there's just something wrong with em.

A. F.
    i don't like my wrists either..

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    If that was directed at me:

Equipment is not for safety. If you're going to get hurt on a lift, you're going to get hurt. Straps, belts, knee wraps, bench shirts, etc, do nothing for safety. They help provide support to perform the lift, and nothing more.
    No that was not directed at you personally. I was talking about the people who slam others for using straps. I disagree however, on the safety factor of equipment. The support they provide is a safety factor in itself. Until I started using belts I could not do heavy deadlifts without experiencing pain in my lower back. Now I am using poundages in excess of 100 lbs over my belt-free deadlifts and experience no pain, other than a little soreness. BTW if equipment is not for safety, why do corporations like Wal-Mart (among others) instruct their employees to wear lifting belts when lifting heavy objects? Granted if one doesn't know how to use the equipment, then one is going to get hurt. However if one uses the equipment properly, then I feel the potential for serious injury is greatly reduced.

Famers Walk...plaing and simple. Grab t2o heavy dumbbells and walk with them as for as you can. When they drop pick them back up and walk some more!!!

How can someone say straps are for safety? Let's think of this...dropping the weight is a good thing if you are pulling too much for your body. Being strapped to a weight that is too much for you to pull is a bad thing. You can drop a weight dangerously regardless if you are strapped in or not. Generally you know when your grip is going to fail so I doubt it would surprise you and land on anything important.

As for a weight belt, sure it can help some, but it isn't truly required. You cannot compare weightlifters to wal-mart employees. Unless these wal-mart employees are all weight lifters, who understand that strong abs and posterior chain are an excellent substitute for a weight training belt.

I will use straps on some exercises, but I'm not fooled into thinking they are making the exercise any safer. I would think it's rather the opposite, and probably the same for most other so called "support" equipment. Perhaps many get a false sense of security with this equipment and as a result cause themselves injury. There's only so much support an elastic band, or piece of cloth or leather can truly offer when lifting heavy weight.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 11-04-2002 at 11:04 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Answer
    Captins of Crush grippers
    get one and stick to there routine.
    I just keep mine at work at my desk it is so convient training while at work
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"