Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip strength

Grip strength

My grip strength (which is very evident on deadlifts) is pretty weak. What are some things i can do on off days to increase my grip? grabbing onto a chin-up bar and just hanging, or maybe one of those.. i don't know what to call it, but it's a long cylindrical piece of wood with a rope in the middle, with a few small plates on the bottom, that you hold out in front of you and roll up then roll down. (long winded- sorry!)

thanks for any input you guys/gals and provide.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    the rope thing is more for forearms.

As for grip, try static holds, you just load up a barbell with weight, and step out, and hold it as long as you can, like you're at the top of a deadlift, or about to shrug it.

What I found, my grip was limiting my deadlifting severely. I actually let it do just that for a couple months. It forced my grip to adapt to the weight I was trying to DL, and it caught up extremely quickly, as it was the weak link in my DL, and was getting hit harder proportionately.

Good luck, either way

all i have to say is straps. Today I was having the same trouble. Someone let me use a pair of straps and it made a whole lotta difference.

A. F.
    captains of crush.

freaking amazing.

www.ironmind.com

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    do nOT use straps. your grip will get weaker. If you use them, just use them say on your heaviest set, and then on your lighter ones go strapless (that sounds so dirty). Using straps on every set will lead to pussy forearms and grip strength.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Accipiter
    do nOT use straps. your grip will get weaker. If you use them, just use them say on your heaviest set, and then on your lighter ones go strapless (that sounds so dirty). Using straps on every set will lead to pussy forearms and grip strength.
    I have used straps effectively for many years, I don't have pussy forearms or grip. I don't understand where that comes from.

nobody2, what accipiter is saying is that straps will allow you to lift more than your grip can really support. So you may be able to pull up a good deadlift, but chances are your forearms will be weak in comparison.

just started using straps on deads.. damnit.. now you've got me worried I'll get girlie forearms. Just wait, I already do! Damnit..

That said, does anyone know any other things thing the static hold? I'd rather work my grip seperate, and not have my deads halt because I keep dropping the weight.
    LaLa

Originally posted by Spawn_X
    captains of crush.

freaking amazing.

www.ironmind.com
    I heard so much about these, im thinking about getting the trainer and number 1, but they are so expensive.
    hardcore

exactly. (nice avatar by the way crussow). i'm sure your grip and forearms are fine. But they'd be better without the straps.

Yeah, straps blow, I regret ever using them.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

A. F.
    start with the trainer, trust me.

I say start with the 1.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Ummmmm, not! I use straps on every heavy set I perform for upper back. My forearms and back are pretty decent. If you wish to see them, take a look at the pics I have posted. As to my grip strength, I had no problem deadlifting over 600 lbs without straps. You be the judge.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I think you and Belial should have a fight but all you can use are your backs. That's a ton of weight chris.

A. F.
    Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    I say start with the 1.
    if he is complaining about pissy grip, then definitely the trainer since #1 will be a bit tough for him.

Originally posted by chris mason

Ummmmm, not! I use straps on every heavy set I perform for upper back. My forearms and back are pretty decent. If you wish to see them, take a look at the pics I have posted. As to my grip strength, I had no problem deadlifting over 600 lbs without straps. You be the judge.

for your upper back? Are you implying deadlifts are primarily an upper back exercise? personally when I'm doing something like bb rows, I'm not too worried about grip or forearms. As for deadlifting, yeah, I'm thinking that's more direct forearm work. if you are strapping for deads, how much bigger would your forearms be if you hadn't been using them. And yes, your forearms are pretty ace still.

I do strapless deadlifts first in my workout and then at the end I do static holds in the smith machine. Don't use straps. If I could do it all over I would never have used them. I think the best way is to just deadlift and let your grip catch up, like Accipter said.
    Static holds and Farmer's walk are both awesome exercises.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

oh yeah! i forgot about farmers walcs they're ace

for your upper back? Are you implying deadlifts are primarily an upper back exercise? personally when I'm doing something like bb rows, I'm not too worried about grip or forearms. As for deadlifting, yeah, I'm thinking that's more direct forearm work. if you are strapping for deads, how much bigger would your forearms be if you hadn't been using them. And yes, your forearms are pretty ace still.

No, I am not implying that. In fact, I think deads don't do squat for one's lats (they do help the traps). My point was that I use straps routinely in my training and have no problem with development or strength. As to your personal concern about using straps when rowing, I am quite sure that is because you don't row with enough weight for it to be a concern. I do. As to my forearms being bigger without their use, I don't think they would be. Barbell curls work my extensors rather nicely, and the rows I do, even with the straps, still work my forearms. My entire point is that the attitude that straps will make for "pussy" forearms is silly.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by chris mason

You say you can deadlift 600 with no problem without straps but you need them for rows, I'm curious, how much can you row?

I've found the opposite, I need the straps to keep the bar from rolling doing heavy deads but don't need them rowing (seated rows that is)

if your forearms and grip are good enough, why use straps? Why not build up to the weight you're at now, but strapless

Wannabebig Member
    if your forearms and grip are good enough, why use straps? Why not build up to the weight you're at now, but strapless
    I agree with the building them up but why sacrifice my back workout to build up my forearms?

Depends what sort of row you are talking about. I use 600+ for no type of row, but I am also performing the deads with hand chalk and a staggered grip. I use neither on rows. As to the weight, I can use quite a bit on rows, really.

Homer's point is mine exactly. When I train my lats, I am training my lats, not my forearms. I find that when I go really heavy on my lat training, straps are necessary to optimally stimulate my lats. When I perform the deadlift, I do so in a manner which would be acceptable in a competition.
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-02-2002 at 03:49 PM.

aaah, I see, I use a staggered grip on rows as well as deads.