Thread: How can I train legs w/o gym equipment?

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar

How can I train legs w/o gym equipment?

I have recently started lifting again at home and use only one barbell and two dumbells + about 250 pounds. How the heck can I effectively train legs for max growth with no leg equipment? I have only a flat bench and even use dumbells only to train chest. I know, I know, I need to invest in some more equipment, but until then, what can I do? By the way, no spot either. I have done the best I can for upper body, and no body parts seem to be lagging. I have gotten excellent advice and training tips from here, and for that, I am grateful. I have a 45" chest, 16" upper arms, 13" forearms, 17-1/2" neck.....everything seems to be in proportion, i think, EXCEPT legs.....I'm afraid to even measure them......WHERE SHOULD THEY BE IN COMPARISON???????? HELP ME TRAIN THEM PLEASE!

Re: How can I train legs w/o gym equipment?

Originally posted by kathnmarc
    I have recently started lifting again at home and use only one barbell and two dumbells + about 250 pounds. How the heck can I effectively train legs for max growth with no leg equipment? I have only a flat bench and even use dumbells only to train chest. I know, I know, I need to invest in some more equipment, but until then, what can I do? By the way, no spot either. I have done the best I can for upper body, and no body parts seem to be lagging. I have gotten excellent advice and training tips from here, and for that, I am grateful. I have a 45" chest, 16" upper arms, 13" forearms, 17-1/2" neck.....everything seems to be in proportion, i think, EXCEPT legs.....I'm afraid to even measure them......WHERE SHOULD THEY BE IN COMPARISON???????? HELP ME TRAIN THEM PLEASE!
    Until you get a power rack and a leg extension/curl thing then I would start riding your bike as hard as you can for a half mile, you will see how much it hurts if you do it as hard as you can, do that like 3x a week along with sprints for the hamstrings, and you have calf raises that you can do with the dumbbells, if you do them in a good spot like on a step or something you probably won't even need weights for awhile. Hoped I helped, im sure some other people have some better info.
    hardcore

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    You can train legs with what you got. Barbell hack squats, deadlifts, SLDL and calf raises are all you need. You can try front squats but these are a little more tricky. A power or squat rack would be ideal, but the lack of one shouldn't stop you.

Originally posted by restless
    You can train legs with what you got. Barbell hack squats, deadlifts, SLDL and calf raises are all you need. You can try front squats but these are a little more tricky. A power or squat rack would be ideal, but the lack of one shouldn't stop you.
    I forgot about SLDL and hack squats wouldn't be a bad idea either, good stuff restless
    hardcore

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Hack squats are great. I'm starting them again this week.

dumbbell + barbell + plates = gym equipment

"damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    About the measurements. I have similar upper body measurements and 25.9 legs. I think they're a bit ahead of the rest of me though. They were a priority during most of last year.

Grasshoppa
    Originally posted by NateDogg
    dumbbell + barbell + plates = gym equipment

Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

What are hack squats and SLDL's??? Sorry for the silly questions. Thanks so much for the help though. It's good to know that I share measurements with someone on this forum.
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

your upper arms should roughly be 10" smaller than your quads, so your legs need to be close to 27"

You sure about that LAM? a lean 27 inch quad is verrry large.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Then mine are about right, 16.5 arms for 26 inch legs.

kathnmarc, go to exrs.net for exercise descriptions and animated gifs.

Grasshoppa
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

THANKS AGAIN!!! You guys are awesome!
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

BCC...a 17"+ arm is also large (for those who train natty). but in terms of symmetry for a bodybuilder measurments should roughly be:

calves, arms and neck - roughly the same size
    legs - 10" larger than the calves
    chest/back - 15" or greater than the waist, obviously the greater the difference the more impressive the V-shape
    Last edited by LAM; 11-03-2002 at 03:22 PM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Ops, I always mess up on that site adress.
    Last edited by restless; 11-03-2002 at 03:28 PM.