The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Proper technique for performing SLDL's?

I started doing them recently and I find that I feel it more in my lower back then in my hamstrings. Is this normal? I do SLDL'S on a raised platform with my legs approximately shoulder with apart. What am I doing wrong?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you doing stiff leg or straight legs DL's?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Originally posted by Max-Mex
    Are you doing stiff leg or straight legs DL's?
    There's a difference?

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I have my legs ever so slightly bent and I lean over until I feel my back needing to round. At that point, regardless how far I've gone, I bring the weight back up. Sometimes I'm super flexible and can touch the floor, some days that just isn't happening.

Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar
    Here's Straight Leg, straight back:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

And here's Straight Leg:

And here's Stiff Leg

There's not a huge difference... I personally do something in between the first two. I keep my legs & back as straight as possible and my head is up, but I can lower the weight almost to the ground. I stand on a platform which is ~4" tall.
    I really feel it in my lower back. When I approach my last rep on my heaviest set, it takes all I have to stand up straight. I also focus on 'feeling it' in my back during the exercise. And while I don't completely exhaust my hamstrings, they are definitely getting work. When I perform my post-routine stretches, I always have much greater flexibility in my legs because the hammys were engaged.
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

free ham sandwich
    i feel SLDLs WAAAAY more in my hamstrings than my lower back...

i lower the bar to the tops of my shoelaces

Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar
    I think I feel it more in my back because I have really good legs compared to my upper body. I have a fairly weak back (and chest and arms ) in comparison, so maybe the exercise is more taxing on the back until it catches up.
    Last edited by Flyersfan; 11-01-2002 at 07:12 PM.
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think my problem could be rounding my back. I'll try keeping my back straight throughout the movement next time and see how it goes.

free ham sandwich
    i rep 315 lbs on SLDL (which isn't that much in the scheme of things, i know), so i dont think that my legs are too weak, i just feel 'em there a lot more...

I find going slower on the negative during SLDLs kills the hamstrings.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Wannabebig Member
    I was feeling them in my back for a bit, but I started going REAL slow.. slowing it down alot.. and all of a sudden my legs were shaking.

See if it works!
    Shu

The Tuna Tempter
    i'm fed up with SLDL now. I do them with my back straight and legs straight. I used to do them with a slight bend in my knees and didn't feel anything in my hammies, that's why i switched to straight legs.

I've cut SLDL out of my routine coz I feel it so much more in my lower back than in the hammies, and I'm doing HST, so squatting and SLDL, or DL and SLDL in one workout, 3 times a week, is a bit much for my back to handle.
    I've now switched to leg curls for the hammies.

FlyersFan...I think you could be right about feeling it more in the back coz it's weak relative to the legs. That's how i feel about my back too.
    Life's too short to be small