Thread: Romanian DL's, aka Keystone DL's

Romanian DL's, aka Keystone DL's

Anyone have opinions of this lift? I usually do SLDL's myself but I think this might work better for my hams. Also, it seems the RDL's are easier on lower back.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

they are easier on the lower back and work your hams really well... if that's what you are looking for, go for em.
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    My understanding (which could be off base) of the diff between them is with romanian dls you keep your back rigid and your knees locked, and you keep the barbell pretty much against your body and don't let it swing away from you. That's what makes it easier on your back.

With SLDLs as you lean forward, the barbell just hangs where it will due to gravity, so the leverage relative to your back is greater. I like the RDLs. I don't do the SLDLs and my back is fine and I can really feel it in my hams/glutes.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

i'm planning on switching up to RDLs actually. as the weight on my SLDL has gone up, my back's been coming into player more than my hammies, and i do them for hammies and glutes, and not necessarily low back.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

bone crusher
    hmm well look like i have been doing these all along

Originally posted by JohnCollins
    My understanding (which could be off base) of the diff between them is with romanian dls you keep your back rigid and your knees locked, and you keep the barbell pretty much against your body and don't let it swing away from you. That's what makes it easier on your back.
    You bend the knees slightly for the RDL. You never want to keep the knees locked when doing RDLs or SLDLs. Puts too much stress on the knees.

Here's a good explanation of RDLs: http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/RL.htm

Thanks for the link TMan. I tried them today and I felt it more in my hams. The tension was pretty amazing.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300