Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Left Atheism

Three things:

1. There's a big difference between "religion" and "spirituality". You can be spiritual without being religious. You can be religious without being spiritual. You can be both.

2. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what someone else says; this kind of thing is where YOU need to determine what works best for YOU. And in the end, YOU'll get to find out whether you were wrong or right.

3. Your personal beliefs aren't relevant to mine. However, I'd like to think of most people here as nice people.

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

IOW...

1 Have your cake and eat it too

2 Just get whatever belief is easiest on you

3 If I'm wrong, don't tell me, I'm liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    Heres another one to think about.... What is the purpose of Hell?

Usually punishment serves to prevent the perpetrator from committing crime again.

When this is not the case, such as in this case, where the person will never return to earthly life, the only possible purpose is revenge.

Why revenge? The bible preaches against revenge.
    Is it some sort of cleansing of the souls? Cleansing to prepare for what... Hell is eternal.

It makes no sense.
    Just an analysis:

Interesting that the Christian tradition of "hell" (e.g., fire and brimstone, a "lake of fire", Gehenna, etc.) and the Jewish tradition of "hell" (e.g., Sheol) are two completely different concepts. For Christians, it's a place of eternal damnation. For Jews, it's more along the lines of "eternal separation from G-d".

Just wanted to throw that bit in there.

Fascinating read so far. Helped me while away an hour while at work. Time to go get lunch...heh.

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    IOW...

1 Have your cake and eat it too

2 Just get whatever belief is easiest on you

3 If I'm wrong, don't tell me, I'm liking it.
    You're my hero.

Ok, time for phuuuud.

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

There is no god.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Its to damn long to lead my anywhere. Got one sentence in saw how longit was and backed out. Need to learn summary.

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    For Jews, it's more along the lines of "eternal separation from G-d".
    Dont say the G-word! Not the G-word! :P
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Maybe a man?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    There is no god.
    I like the irony of hearing that from a saint.

"I am a nihilist Lebowski I believe in nothing" lol
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Drheckler
    "I am a nihilist Lebowski I believe in nothing" lol
    I believe they dont actually say they are nihilists. They just say they believe in nothing over and over. and then lebowski describes this to his veteran friend and he labels them nihilists

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by flake
    On a serious note I have a few probs regarding christianity which if anyone could enlighten me on dat be cool. This is purely from a academic view.

* please dont view this as a flame and lets keep it non personal *

ta:

1: If God is supposed to love everyone why is there a hell, how could you submit anyone you love, heck even dont dislike to somehting even a million times less worse than that. And if God didn't make hell for people to go to, why can't he change it? (assuming the whole all-powerful thing)

2: If everything god does is perfect, why are there contradicitons in the Bible? ie: do not kill anyone, however if any one is caught having sex with animals, then kill them

3: Why was the whole Noahs ark thing a good thing again? Basically its mass genicide, and not only that isn't he condeming all the sinners to hell?

4: If he can do anytihng he wants why doesn't everyone know his presence?

So if any christians want to give me serious answers to these I'd be pretty grateful, mainly because the view I have of the christian god is not the loving caring father figure everyone makes out & was wondering where everyone gets it from (<---- thinking I'm missing the point).

Thanks, and again *not a flame* and definately no disrespect intended.

i dont know if anyone has responded to this because i havent read through all 11 pages but ima see if i can help you out on this one.

1. hell was never meant for man, it was a place he sent Satan and all of his followers when they decided to rebel against him. when god created mn, man was perfect, until the eating of the apple then man was introduced into sin, and the only way to "reconnect" your sould out of sin and to get back with god is to become saved and to believe in him and that his son jesus died and rose again on the third day with all power in his hands.

2. thats in the old testament before jesus was born, after jesus "in the new testament" we live in the new covenant and many of the rules that were based in the old testament no longer apply to the lives of people today. old testament was an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth, but the new covenant is an eye for an eye we both lose our sight and two wrongs dont make a right

3. not sure about noahs ark, but he destroyed the area of the known world because the people were so sinful and he was upset, but im tottaly sure about the point behind noah ark.

4 god is not overbearing, he wants a person to seek him. its kinda weird fi you think about it god is kinda selfish..lol but yeah hes not forceful and over bearing he wants a person to seek him out for themselves.

another thing the bible is a religios book written by man so there will always be a few contradictions as things get lost in translation and changed over the years.

but fo someone who really wants to find god seek him for yourself, just ask and really mean it and im sure god shall revela himself to you in some way fashion or form, trust me it happened to me when i was young.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

^^^So God does not have all control over all that is? like hell and the devil are out of his control?

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    1. hell was never meant for man, it was a place he sent Satan and all of his followers when they decided to rebel against him. when god created mn, man was perfect, until the eating of the apple then man was introduced into sin, and the only way to "reconnect" your sould out of sin and to get back with god is to become saved and to believe in him and that his son jesus died and rose again on the third day with all power in his hands.

2. thats in the old testament before jesus was born, after jesus "in the new testament" we live in the new covenant and many of the rules that were based in the old testament no longer apply to the lives of people today. old testament was an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth, but the new covenant is an eye for an eye we both lose our sight and two wrongs dont make a right

3. not sure about noahs ark, but he destroyed the area of the known world because the people were so sinful and he was upset, but im tottaly sure about the point behind noah ark.

4 god is not overbearing, he wants a person to seek him. its kinda weird fi you think about it god is kinda selfish..lol but yeah hes not forceful and over bearing he wants a person to seek him out for themselves.
    Well put. Not.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    i could explain it in the reigious terms but if people ramin to stay close minded to the whole subject matter of the bible then i cant change your thoughts, im just relaying to what the bible says, there are things i dont agree with in the bible and im a christian but i tol you wht the bible has to say about it and what people believe, personaly i dont have the answers but o know what i know and what i believe, so feel free to bash as you want
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    ...feel free to bash as you want
    We'd never do that.

As I'm currently in a religious discussion on another board, I would like to ask you the following question too: Do ALL good people go to heaven, even the ones who don't believe in your god? Or does everyone who does not believe in your god go to hell? (including Gandhi, Buddha, etc.)

Please try and step back from the situation and take an objective look. Not being willing to question christianity at all, that is the narrow, closed-mindedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Russow
    Well put. Not.
    Corey, i'm a christian too and i support what you're saying here. You're not the only christian in this forum, and you're not alone.
    Guys, we are not trying to assimilate the world into believing what we believe. Since our commission is to try to show everyone the Gospel of Jesus dying for your sins, we try in different ways to present you with this potentially life-changing information. If you choose not to be a Christian, there is pretty much nothing we can do about it except pray for you. Christians differ on this, but i believe that our objective in this life is to proclaim to you guys the truth that is the Bible; you choosing to believe it or not is up to your own personal decision.
    On top of that, you didnt have to read this thread if you didnt want to, and if your goal is to bash us or say stuff like "well put. not.", then i have nothing to say.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Everytime I look up in to the night sky and see the huge beautiful universe, I can't help but know that there is a God.

well put, salah

man, this thread got "resurrected" from the doldrums!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phreak
    We'd never do that.
    As I'm currently in a religious discussion on another board, I would like to ask you the following question too: Do ALL good people go to heaven, even the ones who don't believe in your god? Or does everyone who does not believe in your god go to hell? (including Gandhi, Buddha, etc.)
    I believe that all religions have different opinions in this matter.
    However, if I may, I'd like to give you the one I was raised with and still believe whole-heartedly.

Whether you believed in God here on earth does not damn you to hell or garuntee you a place in Heaven. It is whether you accept him when you die. Many religious people CHOOSE to go to church and live as closely by the Bible as they can because they love God and want to please him. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that if you do not go to church, you will go to Hell.
    Similarily, religion is about faith and the ability of faith to take you to Heaven or an afterlife(I believe for Buddists).
    So regardless of whatever religion you belong to, the knowledge of a God and having faith to choose to be with him after you die is all that is really a factor in who goes to heaven. I was always taught that everyone, regardless of whether they were an atheist on earth, has the chance to choose Heaven or Hell. I am a Christian by the way. I accept everyone.

Cruiserweight
    Hi, there is another thread about this topic.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...47#post1055547

The topic is now about why I believe in Christianity over other religions. That starts at post #185. Hope to see you there.
    Last edited by sola; 04-09-2005 at 11:20 PM.

the only church i've felt at home with was a CoC church too

Well, at least a few billion people are going to hell, so at least I won't be lonely.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I'll be there with you, Mix.

BTW, thanks for the quantum theory links, Powerman. Even though this is an old thread, two of them still worked.
    Last edited by TTT; 04-10-2005 at 05:13 AM.

See y'all in hell. I'll try to sneak in an X-Box and a few bottles of tequila.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"