Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Left Atheism

I'm sorry, that made absolutely no sense. You have made everyone who's read it dumber by doing so.
    What don't you get?
    Being an aethesit means they don't deny the existance of a God. They need PROOF, but the truth is they will never find PROOF.
    It's quite simple actually.
    Train.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Gotta love these threads.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Ti1301

What don't you get?
    Being an aethesit means they don't deny the existance of a God. They need PROOF, but the truth is they will never find PROOF.
    Actually an atheist means they deny the existence of God.

An agnostic would be more along the lines of what you just said. They would be the type of person who would need evidence to be presented to sway their mind.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by Ti1301

What don't you get?
    You, personally, are denying the existence of God then, as you stated, there is no proof. I understand.

BCC is correct.

Atheists believe that THERE is NO God.

Agnostics don't deny or promote the belief of existance. THEY need proof one way or another. Another kind of agnostic has a different attitude: they just don't care.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    BCC is correct.

Atheists believe that THERE is NO God.

Agnostics don't deny or promote the belief of existance. THEY need proof one way or another. Another kind of agnostic has a different attitude: they just don't care.
    Ya don't atheists believe that they are like there on god in a way?
    hardcore

Originally posted by flake
    On a serious note I have a few probs regarding christianity which if anyone could enlighten me on dat be cool. This is purely from a academic view.

* please dont view this as a flame and lets keep it non personal *

ta:

1: If God is supposed to love everyone why is there a hell, how could you submit anyone you love, heck even dont dislike to somehting even a million times less worse than that. And if God didn't make hell for people to go to, why can't he change it? (assuming the whole all-powerful thing)

God made hell, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
    2: If everything god does is perfect, why are there contradicitons in the Bible? ie: do not kill anyone, however if any one is caught having sex with animals, then kill them
    Everything god did wasn't perfect, in the bible there is times when god made mistakes and felt bad and if he did everything perfect then we wouldn't be sinning right now. Got made those laws for people in the early times, he basically made all the laws in the old testament as guildine for the people in Israel to start the world out with order, and punish people that sin.
    3: Why was the whole Noahs ark thing a good thing again? Basically its mass genicide, and not only that isn't he condeming all the sinners to hell?
    It was the punish the peole for being sinful. They deserve to go to hell for sinning.
    4: If he can do anytihng he wants why doesn't everyone know his presence?
    We have written records and it is so obvious that evolution is crap, until you can prove to me what created those apes that we supposedly evolved into then I will reconsider. I searched and am doing a research paper on creation vs. evolution and evolution hasn't shown me anything worthy of me thinking against creation. Believing and having faith is the whole idea.
    So if any christians want to give me serious answers to these I'd be pretty grateful, mainly because the view I have of the christian god is not the loving caring father figure everyone makes out & was wondering where everyone gets it from (<---- thinking I'm missing the point).

Thanks, and again *not a flame* and definately no disrespect intended.
    I understand this wasn't a flame and I didn't take it that way at all, I thought they were good questions and if you have anymore please post them or you can always pm me
    Last edited by jiacstrap; 11-05-2002 at 05:22 PM.
    hardcore

Originally posted by jiacstrap

Ya don't atheists believe that they are like there on god in a way?
    Not necessarily. There are a number or religions/beliefs that do believe that you "are your own" God. Atheism is NOT one of them. Atheists believe that there is NO God. Period.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Not necessarily. There are a number or religions/beliefs that do believe that you "are your own" God. Atheism is NOT one of them. Atheists believe that there is NO God. Period.
    o ok, they think they are just here and that when they die it is black?

Today in school these 3 girls were talking about christian churches being cults, what they didn't realize is that they were talking about mormans, jews, catholics, and I think baptist. I don't know much about any religions besides jews, mormans, catholics, and christian(my church is non-denominational) but is baptists cultlike and isn't the basis on all christian churches the bible? Ok I don't think catholics have the bible as the base but besides catholics.....
    hardcore

And as for people who claim evolution is crap.

No offense, but just how retarded do you have to be? Evolution is NOT a substitute or replacement for Creationism. You can be a Christian AND believe in Evolution. Evolution DOES NOT DOES NOT DOES NOT tell the origins of life or the origins of the Universe. It DOES explain the way life changes and adapts to the world we live in.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Let's say that it's the year X. In the year X, 50% of men are tall and 50% are short. Over the next few hundred years, women in general decide that taller men are sexier by far. Most women would much rather be with a taller man than a short one. SO, in the year X+1000, it turns out that (due to breeding) 90% of the men are tall and only 10% are short. Guess what?

THAT is evolution! (Obviously not necessarily the central core nor the major theory, BUT that is evolution as well! Most people don't think of it that way, but that's what it is. Survival of the fittest.) Now, imagine over a HUGE span of time, all of these characteristics will dictate the path of a species. From hair, to muscle, to bone, to facial structure, ANYTHING you wanna pick can be used to categorize. So you can see (I hope) how over millions and millions of years the organism MORE able to survive and reproduce will end up winning over the population.

That is evolution. Period.

Any other ideas about where life came from and so forth ARE NOT included in the evolution. Evolution HAPPENS. IT is COMMON SENSE. It DOES NOT explain where life came from, nor does it explain much of anything about origins. But it DOES explain how things change.
    Last edited by Gyno Rhino; 11-05-2002 at 05:31 PM.

Pearls of Wisdom...

o ok, they think they are just here and that when they die it is black?

Today in school these 3 girls were talking about christian churches being cults, what they didn't realize is that they were talking about mormans, jews, catholics, and I think baptist. I don't know much about any religions besides jews, mormans, catholics, and christian(my church is non-denominational) but is baptists cultlike and isn't the basis on all christian churches the bible? Ok I don't think catholics have the bible as the base but besides catholics.....
    Organized religion in general is basically one big cult.

I don't know what atheists believe about now and afterlife. Maybe they just believe NOTHING? Did you ever think of that?It's quite possible. Do you have ANY conscious memories or experiences from before birth? Any concept of time? I doubt it. If you do, that's pretty damn amazing. Maybe it's the same way when you die? Who knows.

Pearls of Wisdom...

No offense, but just how retarded do you have to be? Evolution is NOT a substitute or replacement for Creationism. You can be a Christian AND believe in Evolution. Evolution DOES NOT DOES NOT DOES NOT tell the origins of life or the origins of the Universe. It DOES explain the way life changes and adapts to the world we live in.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Let's say that it's the year X. In the year X, 50% of men are tall and 50% are short. Over the next few hundred years, women in general decide that taller men are sexier by far. Most women would much rather be with a taller man than a short one. SO, in the year X+1000, it turns out that (due to breeding) 90% of the men are tall and only 10% are short. Guess what?

THAT is evolution! (Obviously not necessarily the central core nor the major theory, BUT that is evolution as well! Most people don't think of it that way, but that's what it is. Survival of the fittest.) Now, imagine over a HUGE span of time, all of these characteristics will dictate the path of a species. From hair, to muscle, to bone, to facial structure, ANYTHING you wanna pick can be used to categorize. So you can see (I hope) how over millions and millions of years the organism MORE able to survive and reproduce will end up winning over the population.

Any other ideas about where life came from and so forth ARE NOT included in the evolution. Evolution HAPPENS. IT is COMMON SENSE. It DOES NOT explain where life came from, nor does it explain much of anything about origins. But it DOES explain how things change.
    So your saying god created us, evolution is just us adapting. Becuase creation does support nature adapting overtime.
    hardcore

Look, I don't give a gosh-darn what creationism supports. You're missin' the point.

Creationism deals with creation. Origins of the Universe.
    Evolution deals with evolution. Adaptation.

Whatever creationism says about adaptation is fine. Evolution happens. You can watch it, simulate it, whatever.

Pearls of Wisdom...

God made hell, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
    That didn't answer his question.

We have written records and it is so obvious that evolution is crap
    Yes written records are much more pheasible than scientific evidence that is chemical and physical in nature.(Sarcasm) Have you never been to an anthropology museum? If we are to believe written records, should we not be believing Greek Mythology and the likes? Why only Christian testaments?

Organized religion in general is basically one big cult.

huh?
    hardcore

Thank you Gynno Rhino, your last two posts have expressed my exact views perfectly. For the record, I used to believe that I was an Atheist. Now I believe I am Agnostic. When I am presented with undeniable evidence that there is a god (something along the lines of shaking his/her/its hand), then I will happily believe in him/her/it, whatever.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Jiacstrap,

I was half-joking when I said that Organized Religion is basically one big cult. What I meant was, Organized Religions IS one big cult.

What do you think you're doing if you go to a big Church or something? Gathering in a group to worship a God, praise him, perform ceremonies, etc.. Cults do the same thing, just in smaller numbers. Sure, you may say "Well, cults beliefs are weird though! And they do ceremonies that are just freaky!" and I will agree. But so does the Catholic church. What's the point?

IMHO, if you DO have religious beliefs, they should be extremely personal. It's not something that I think people should gather in a huge building and sing. If they want to, sure, that's their deal. But it really isn't ALL that different from a cult.

Pearls of Wisdom...

FOR EXAMPLE:

Nice one Gyno!

It's like these Christians have never visited an anthropology muesum, seen skeletal remains of homo sapiens, cro-magnon. It's pretty blatant evidence.

*Gives Gyno a standing ovation*
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by Ken Masters

That didn't answer his question.

Yes written records are much more pheasible than scientific evidence that is chemical and physical in nature.(Sarcasm) Have you never been to an anthropology museum? If we are to believe written records, should we not be believing Greek Mythology and the likes? Why only Christian testaments?
    1. He said in his question that god didn't make hell, or if he didn't. And people that sin and that aren't born again don't belong in his kingdom so he made hell.

2 Dude, if you think that some author sat down and made a fairy tell then I don't know what to say. Tell me about this evidence that is chemical and physical in nature? 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scritpure is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.." Christian testaments? Almost all religions are based on the old testament and it is historically proven.
    hardcore

Thanks, NateDogg.

As for my beliefs, they are incredibly simple yet mind-blowingly complex (like everyone's). Basically, I think people should live their life by this motto:

"The meaning of Life is to discover the meaning of Life."

Everyone is different, and everyone has their own stuff. Just be happy. Be tolerant. And most of all, love your fellow man. Realize that the world you perceive is NOTHING but your perception. There are over 6 billion different worlds out there by that statement. Yours is not your neighbors, but they ARE drastically linked. Don't ruin somebody else's world. BE good, BE strong, and enjoy your short time here.

Pearls of Wisdom...

1. He said in his question that god didn't make hell, or if he didn't. And people that sin and that aren't born again don't belong in his kingdom so he made hell.
    I don't think he was asking IF God created hell. I think he was asking WHY.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    Ti1301...you got schooled, shut your ass.

And no orbitalysis (or whatever your name is=) )...not all religions are open to converts although it is more true that universal religions actively try to convert people...damnit, do I have to explain everything?

For instance, it's very hard to become Jewish, even by birth, because your MOTHER and only your mother may be Jewish for you to be a "true" Jew...if your dad is Jewish and your mother ain't, then neither are you, in their belief.

Thanks, NateDogg.

As for my beliefs, they are incredibly simple yet mind-blowingly complex (like everyone's). Basically, I think people should live their life by this motto:

"The meaning of Life is to discover the meaning of Life."

Everyone is different, and everyone has their own stuff. Just be happy. Be tolerant. And most of all, love your fellow man. Realize that the world you perceive is NOTHING but your perception. There are over 6 billion different worlds out there by that statement. Yours is not your neighbors, but they ARE drastically linked. Don't ruin somebody else's world. BE good, BE strong, and enjoy your short time here.
    I agree, I just don't want to see anyone in hell and feel responsible somewhat if I don't try. People need to be more open minded though, myself included.
    Last edited by jiacstrap; 11-05-2002 at 05:59 PM.
    hardcore

Originally posted by Ken Masters

Nice one Gyno!

It's like these Christians have never visited an anthropology muesum, seen skeletal remains of homo sapiens, cro-magnon. It's pretty blatant evidence.
    What are you saying?
    hardcore