Thread: Wrestling season

Wannabebig Member

Wrestling season

Heres the deal:
    Wrestling season starts in a couple of weeks
    Were a nationally ranked team and practices are grueling(lose like 3-6 lbs of sweat a practice)
    I need a workout to maintain muscle while beating myself to nothing 6-7 days a week.

I may need to cut 10 lbs of weight, I may not.(im like 137)

I eat clean, but i eat ALOT
    Been working out for 9 months, (typical body part a day strength program, then HST, then a 5X5 program)

What workouts should I consider, thanks

Post season im gonna try some of John Davies renegade training

Grasshoppa
    At 137, I'd imagine you would want to add 10 pounds of weight, not cut it.

To maintain muscle, just lift normally and eat a lot more to make up for the cals burned during your practices. As for particular program to use, I've used HIT and am currently beginning a cycle of HST...whatever works for you is best.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    I wrestled in Highschool and had to drop some weight. The trick to keeping as much muscle as possible is to NOT crash diet. Dont wait until Thursday or Friday to cut weight for Saturday. Try to keep within 5lbs of your weight class at all times. When you do eat, make sure its mostly protein to fuel those muscles. Also eat lots of small meals a day, maybe 6-8 if you can. But make them small. Anyways thats a few things that might help.

Wannabebig Member
    I eat 5-7 meals a day, will not crash diet...but what I dont know is what would be a good program to Maintain muscle while having greuling practices. I will workout at like 6:45/7 am till 7:45-8 and practice from 3:45-4:45

I need a routine i can do in 45 min-hour including warm up and stretching

Thanks again

What weight are you going to wrestle at? Whats your BF%?

mmac offered good advice for diet. I wrestled at 125 when I was in HS. I usually weighed around 130 but I always made weight. Mostly cut water weight by sweating and spitting but after weigh ins I ate something and got some water and by match time I was ready to go. If you are beating yourself to nothing 6-7 days a week you arent going to have to train that much or your lifting will be counter-productive. I only lifted once a week with a full body routine when I was wrestling. Usually on Sundays since that was the only day we didn't have practices or tournaments. But there was some people on my team that lifted every chance they got..even on match days and they did extremely well. Everyone is different so just experiment until you find what works best for you. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Sin raised some good points. You body is already going to be overwhelmed holding onto the muscle you have right now with wrestling practice. I think trying to lift weights too will only be adding insult to injury. Just train at practices as hard as possible. Thing about wrestling is that you need to gain all of your strength in the off season and during the season just keep concentrated on your skill level end endurance.

its very hard to gain strength wrestling season even if you have to gain weight. I have to cut 16 pounds and im at 11% bodyfat, so I just hope I won't lose to much strength.
    hardcore

Wannabebig Member
    The thing is I Dont want to lose muscle. If I work out in the mornings I will have 8 hours to recover before my practices. Obviously I wont be gaining any muscle but I dont want to lose any.

So with this in mind, what's a good training program that I can use.

Dont tell me to stop lifting and focus on mat skills, b/c than I will lose more muscle. I will practice everyday regardless of lifting.

mmac: WHy would I stop thinking about muscle, thats part of the game? Mat skills and endurance will rape strength but you need strength as well

-sin- Dont care about my BF%. We have a date when they test your BF and tell you how low you can wrestle(which is at 7% BF, they=league offcials)

jiacstrap-How does this have to do w/ my lifting program? 16 lbs is a lot dude, good luck

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Well, you're going to be taxing your body to the extreme this way. Lifting+Wrestling practice will take more muscle away than just Wrestling. You still give your muscles a good workout when you wrestle. Trust me, I used to wrestle, and I tried to do everything at once, its more of a hindrance than a benefit. Just put everything down in practice, and rest the rest of the time. You'll be MUCH better off. BTW what school do u wrestle for?
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Originally posted by Big4Wrestling
    The thing is I Dont want to lose muscle. If I work out in the mornings I will have 8 hours to recover before my practices. Obviously I wont be gaining any muscle but I dont want to lose any.

So with this in mind, what's a good training program that I can use.

Dont tell me to stop lifting and focus on mat skills, b/c than I will lose more muscle. I will practice everyday regardless of lifting.

mmac: WHy would I stop thinking about muscle, thats part of the game? Mat skills and endurance will rape strength but you need strength as well

-sin- Dont care about my BF%. We have a date when they test your BF and tell you how low you can wrestle(which is at 7% BF, they=league offcials)

jiacstrap-How does this have to do w/ my lifting program? 16 lbs is a lot dude, good luck
    Im saying gaining strength is a very hard during wrestling season, so I wouldn't go up in weight. But I also wouldn't drop 16 pounds, my team is going to be lifting 3x a week during practice this year. And he is probably going to have us on some kind of program. I would do a full body workout once a week. Sudnay would seem like the best day.
    hardcore

Originally posted by nejar462
    Well, you're going to be taxing your body to the extreme this way. Lifting+Wrestling practice will take more muscle away than just Wrestling. You still give your muscles a good workout when you wrestle. Trust me, I used to wrestle, and I tried to do everything at once, its more of a hindrance than a benefit. Just put everything down in practice, and rest the rest of the time. You'll be MUCH better off. BTW what school do u wrestle for?
    I think you can lift once a week, but even with that you should make it a HIT style routine with low volume. Glutamine and some whey protein are good ideas while cutting for wrestling.
    hardcore

Wannabebig Member
    I wrestled 160 in high school, with about 5% BF. We would lift everyday during weight training (PE), and it never seemed to hurt any of us. My diet all four years was food, good food, and lots of it. If it had carbs and protein, it was going down the gullet, and I never had to cut weight. I would say stick with a good lifting plan if your body can take it.