Thread: LAM, Mason and Yates.***

Overtrainer.

LAM, Mason and Yates.*

*Names of those Id appreciate a response from in order to avoid responses from those who type things irrelevant to the posted question

I wanted to know your opinnion on a Bench Press workout, which involves very heavy (1-2 rep) weights and completing an 8 rep set over a period of about 15 minutes with breaks to recover in order to complete the next rep?

My goal is to gain strength, hypertrophy is a bonus.
    Last edited by WestyHeadbanger; 11-09-2002 at 08:13 AM.

Can you explain what you mean in more detail?

Grasshoppa
    I'm guessing he is saying he wants to do his 1RM or 2RM 8 times...I guess you can say 8 sets of 1-2 reps and will it gain him strength.

Again, just my guess. I'll save all my irrelevant stuff.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Overtrainer.
    Thats right Shao Lin.

Thanks for saving the irrelevant stuff.

Too many sets in my opinion. If you performed 8 sets of 2 reps where you started with a weight you can handle for 5, that would be better. So, after warming up, pick a weight you can handle for 5 reps to failure. Perform 8 sets of 2 reps. By the 4th-5th set you should be hitting failure. When you hit failure, back the weight off to allow you to complete 2 reps sets until you get 8 total sets (these last few sets should be 1-2 reps shy of failure as were the first few sets). Your goal should be to add 1 rep per set, per session, until you can get 5 reps per set. Once you can do this, up the resistance 5% and start all over. This is a slight tweak of what Doug Hepburn used to do, give it a go. Coincidentally, Doug was the first man to break the 500 lb barrier, and he was NATURAL!