The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tri definition

Wannabebig Member

tri definition

i'm 6-4 with long arms, and i can't do overhead tri execises 'cause (no matter the weight) they tweak the tendons in my elbows. for tri's i do this:

- dips with weight (just started doing these)
    - rope pull-down extension (standing)
    - hands-close-together bench-press.

will this be enough to develop my tri's, especially the back of them(that is, the long head)?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    You can't work any single part of the triceps, but yes, those exercises will work your triceps just fine.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yup. Why not do skulls?

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the replies. what are skulls?

Like tricep extension but laying down on a bench. You bring the bar to your forhead and back up, hence the name skull crusher. Bending the elbows and arms perpendicular to your body But if your having problem with your tendons I would think this would put you in a similar situation. Who nows maybe differant angle would work.
    Berserker

Originally posted by arie_ben_pesach
    thanks for the replies. what are skulls?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ingTriExt.html
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Just a curious probe. I understand you can't work a region of a peticular muscle more then another. But for the tricep it is 1 muscle made out of three heads... (unless I am wrong) Why could you not put more emphasis on one or the other?? Kinda like the 3 heads on of your delts... (I know delts are slightly different...)
    w00t

Not sure. I was doing close grips and kickback. Then switched to lying tricep extension and dropped close grips for awhile. I don't know if it was a coincidence. But I gained alot of definition in my lower triceps. I don't think my bf changed much. I was overtraing too, I was an arm kick. Maybe it was just timing and started to show then. Anyone else?
    Berserker

Wannabebig Member
    Tris are probably my favorite muscle to work, and i get compliments galore on them Anyway, here is one of my tri workouts

Reverse Narrow Grip Benches (4x6-8)
    Kickbacks (3x6x8)
    Standing Tri Extensions (3x6-8)
    Here is a tri pic
    Last edited by The_Chicken_Daddy; 11-10-2002 at 08:38 AM.
    The more I learn, the more acutely aware I become of my ignorance!!!!!!

French presses are great! I wouldn't get my arms too close to my head. Sounds kinda awkward the way duque described.

Skulls are basically lying down french presses, no real difference there, they are both great tri builders.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    You cannot target a specific region of a muscle D21. You have been told this many many times, and yet you come on here and continue to force-feed us this nonsense?tuttut
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 11-11-2002 at 09:54 AM.

I have a question for ExtremeAnabolic.
    If you can't emphasize any particular area of a muscle(group) then may I ask you this. If a weight trainer did ONLY Flat Bench presses for lets say 3 years and puts ohhh 3lbs. of muscle in that area and never did any incline work whatsoever, would his chest have the same appearance if he had incorporated both INCLINES and FLAT work during that same time period.
    If you say Yes then I ask you, Why does EVERYONE and probably yourself do BOTH Flat benches AND Incline Benches. Why not just do 8 sets of flats then?

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Firestorm look up some anatomy of the chest sometime. There is a pectoralis major and minor. The minor is more on the upper section of the chest and is behind the pectoralis major. Inclines tend to hit this muscle (minor) more then flat. That is why you tend to find inclines to fill in your upper chest more. Aside from that I believe and it is generally believed (not to say that makes it absolutly right) that you can not emphasize on section of a single muscle. Some "muscles" you an tho. Like sholders but those are made up for separate muscles and they preform totally different functions. That is why you can isolate them.
    w00t

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Hey thanx for deleting my post...whom ever it was who could not tolorate some uique opinions.

And second..well I hope you all make continual gains year after year doing the same movements(you know since every exercise is as good as the next right)

I dont even want to start with you guys.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    About my previous post.... must have been in a bad mood that post came out sounding condecending sorry about the tone
    w00t

Originally posted by GonePostal
    About my previous post.... must have been in a bad mood that post came out sounding condecending sorry about the tone
    Yeah it was pretty condescending. Try a dose of humility before you put others down, especially those who may have more experience then you.

tuttut
    Last edited by Rastaman; 11-12-2002 at 02:56 AM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

My guess why you can't really isolate one head over the others is that you got three heads sharing the same insertion point.

To hear just about everyone's thoughts on working the "upper" and "lower" chest, please refer to this post...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...?threadid=4730

Thanks Hulk
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by firestorm
    I have a question for ExtremeAnabolic.
    If you can't emphasize any particular area of a muscle(group) then may I ask you this. If a weight trainer did ONLY Flat Bench presses for lets say 3 years and puts ohhh 3lbs. of muscle in that area and never did any incline work whatsoever, would his chest have the same appearance if he had incorporated both INCLINES and FLAT work during that same time period.
    If you say Yes then I ask you, Why does EVERYONE and probably yourself do BOTH Flat benches AND Incline Benches. Why not just do 8 sets of flats then?

First of all, everyone does NOT do both flat benches and incline benches. When you make sweeping statements like that, they are bound to be wrong. I have not done incline benches in many years, nor have several of my long time weight training friends. Check my journal if you want to know what I do. As for the weight trainer question, yes it is possible for his chest to have the same appearence. The upper part of my chest is not that shabby, and I have done no incline work for a long time. As a final note on that, I noticed an improvement when I dropped incline work, (although to be honest that was probably because at the time I was overtraining).
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 11-12-2002 at 07:37 AM.

Dr. Fred Hatfield says you can isolate different parts of your chest. I'm going to have to agree with the good doctor
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 11-12-2002 at 08:42 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Is Hatfield a real doctor? And where did he get his PHd from? As people on this site are so fond of reminding me, credentials mean nothing.

Hatfield is a real doctor. He also holds the worlds squat record. He is a three time world powerlifting champion, and he has served as the national coach of the U.S powerlifting team. His education you ask? well he's got a Bachelor of Science degree in health, physical education & recreation, a master os sciece in sports science, and a Ph.D from Temple University.

why should I believe a pseudo weightlifter like you over Hatfield? Point is creditinals mean a LOT. Would you ask a marathon runner advice on a bulking diet? No! why? Cause he has no experience in that field. I would not expect people to take my advice over Hatfield's either since I don't have the knowledge or the real world application as he does. Nor do I have the time to learn everything he knows.
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 11-12-2002 at 02:03 PM.

Make sure you are clearly understanding what he's saying.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Somebody have a link to where Hatfield discusses isolating different parts of a muscle?

Originally posted by Delphi
    Somebody have a link to where Hatfield discusses isolating different parts of a muscle?
    Good question. I would like to read this as well.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska