The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Building a gym

Ecoli die

Building a gym

I'm trying to minimize expense and space for building a home gym. Please give me any suggestions for what equipment you feel would be absolutely necessary to do a real workout. This is not to replace the gym, just to have it available to me when I don't want to go out (for example, I'm late off work and I don't want to drive to the gym at 6pm...). This is what I've got so far:

Olympic weight set with 2 bars (25# and 45#)
    Power rack with chin bar
    Flat bench
    Dip station
    Incline bench
    Dumbells (thinking of these: http://www.powerblock.com/frame.html)

I may make the dip station myself as something that hangs from the ceiling and doubles as a dip station/hanging situp bench.

Suggestion?
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Can you get a high/low pulley attachment for the rack? I've got one on mine so I can do pull downs, rows etc....
    My setup is pretty close to yours. I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to get dbells as well.

leg extension/leg curl. Its the power rack you can squat in right? Your going to want that.
    hardcore

:withstupi

yeah, i forgot to mentionthat.

You could certainly get by without the leg curl and leg extension.

Could also get by pulley free.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

the kid from oz
    geeze you're keen

wouldnt all that gear set you back a fair bit? and that is just so when you get home from work late you dont have to go to the gym?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I don't think you really need anything else.

You can do alot with wood if you got the room, especially in basements. My first home gym had a basement with the wood floor supports. Worked great came off with 2x4s for a squat rack and a curling rack. Woods pretty strong, cheap and easy to work with.
    Berserker

ya, all of that looks plenty..

i agree with Chase, dont need pulleys or the curl/extension either; just do sldls for the hammies.

i built my own rack to squat in (a frame construction - would change the design a bit if i built it again, just to lazy to change the set up at this point since i dont do ME low rep squats), it is also used for chins, and i have a couple of attachments that i made that allow me to do 99% of the cable/pulley movements that u can think of. all made out of wood. oh ya and i have a hook that i can place my heavy (punching) bag on there when i feel the urge.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison