The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Recommend a 6 month lower body plan for a fat guy on a cutting diet

Currently I am trying to lose weight and BF% and will continue to do so for the next 6 months or until I reach my goal(10 or less BF). My diet is perfect and I'm doing it very strictly thanks to my mentor, Rob. More than my upper body gains I'm interested in making huge lower body gains. Now I dont mean that my upper body isn't important.........it is equally important but my preference goes to my lower body. One of my goals is to become a quadzilla ......... Could you guys help me in chalking out a program for the next six months ? I checked the training section on the main site ...couldn't find any article reg. to lower body training....I want my gains to be really phenomenal....I'm ready to work hard for 6 months straight.....Here are my current physical stats :

Weight : 215 lbs. roughly
    Height : 5 11
    BF : 25% roughly
    Thigh : 24 "
    Calf : 16.5 "

This is what I've been doing from the last one month :

Leg Raises : 5 reps x 7 sets
    Lying Leg Curls : 5 reps x 5 sets
    Straight Leg Deadlift : 12 reps x 3 sets
    Squat : 15 reps x 3 sets
    Groin Stretch : 15 reps x 3 sets
    Hip / Buttock stretch (Dunno what you actually call this....but this is what I do, tie a weight strap to my shins and move my right leg back and forth keeping the knee straight....my gym supervisor recommended this and this thing really works my butt out) : 12 reps x 3 sets
    One leg standing calf raises : 5 reps x 7 sets (Both legs)

some facts :
    I've got lots of fat deposits on my thighs/hips/hams.

Could you guys optimize my workout routine or all together recommend a new plan if I'm doing it wrong in the first place?

Thanks

Raj

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your workout isn't going to get rid of fat on your hips.

diet is.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Grasshoppa
    You can't spot reduce. You want to lose fat in an area, you have to lose fat all over.

In terms of gains, you probably won't gain much on a cut in terms of muscle mass.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Paul,

My diet is clean and is being monitored by none other than Rob. Yes I do know that it will not aid me in fat loss.

Shaolin,

spot reduce? you got me wrong buddy.........spot reduce is one thing I've never believed all my life...since that thing is not there in my head, I've said that I'm willing to work hard for 6 months.........btw, how is my trainining routine?

Raj

Starting all over again :(
    seems like thats too much stuff, but im no expert. I just squat and do curls, and my legs are looking better every week

Wannabebig Member
    Since you are on a 6month "cutting phase" there is a very little chance you'll become quadzilla. I think you are doing way too much. If i were you, i would do 4 sets of Squats, 3 extentions,3 curls and 3 calves. (that's it for legs.) where you really want to focus is on Cardio where you're going to attack the fat deposits on your thighs, buttocks and the rest of your body. If you are willing ot put in 6 month dedication like you say, you will loose the weight, even if not obtaining quadzilla legs, they will be firmer, strong and more developed. good luck
    "a nice (addition)

jeremyl,

How many reps would you recommend?....and how should I know if I"m overtraining? you guys sound like I'm way over doing it......but at the end of my training sessions I'm a very happy man...

Raj

Wannabebig Member
    personally, i do 6-10 squats, and the rest of my leg exercises 10-12. Calves are different, i dropset with calves. You'll have to decide what you want to do. Other people might have more suggestions. But as for your fatiguing! Since you are carrying 25% fat as you say it seems highly unlikely that you would have the endurance for such a large leg day. Eventhough you don't feel burnt out in the gym, i'm sure that you're last exercises are deffinately being hampered by your fatigue. IF you start with less exercises and really focus on the 4 key leg exercises you will gain strength. and by adding more cardio into your regime the endurance will soon come and then you'll be able to have a larger workout...if you like...just my .02cents
    "a nice (addition)

Yeah, if you are a happy man at the end of the workout then you are not working intense enough. drop some of the exercises, focus on the few you choose and add weight!

Also, dont to cardio right before or after the leg workout. preferably not even on the same day. If you are trying to cut / gain at the same time this will help a little.
    the only things holding you back are the limitations in your mind, not your body.

For me losing weight in insanely easy, my problem is how do you lose fat and not lose muscle.

When you lose muscle you feel weaker and more out of shape than you did when you were bulked up.