Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: MonStar's Journal: A New Beginning

• GENERAL COMMENTS
      Damn, I feel like HELL today!! Sick as friggin' f*ck. Sore throat, cough, cold, everything. I cannot stand being this way. I have added some echinacea and some other things to hopefully help get rid of this sh*t asap. Oh well. Today I have my Pull session, and then on Monday I have my Leg session. Jeez my DOMS in my chest though is FAR from going away it feels like. Damn. For some reason my chest, delts, and triceps DOMS seems to be far more extended than my legs and back. Strange.
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Damn, aching. This is day (3) of negative traces in my chest, delts, and triceps. Triceps and pecs is where I really feel it the most. Damn theyre hurting. Nothing should hinder my Pull session this morning though so thats good. Well see what happens.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Preworkout: orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech, 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: cup of noodles, 1 balance bar, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: 1 luna bar
      Meal 6: soy protein shake
      Meal 7: soy chips, lemonade spritzer, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Ripped Fuel Extreme
      Meal 8: 1 balance shake
      Meal 9: 2 Wendy's cheeseburgers, 1 Wendy's small frosty

Estimated Calories: ~3500
    • TRAINING---PULL
      Bentover Overhand Barbell Rows:
      275x4.5!, 225x12
      Wow, new PBs all over the place in this workout!! Felt very strong, even though I was sick as friggin' hell. This is obviously going to extend the time that I am sick but oh well. Started off with some easy warmups. Used the bar, 135, 185, and 225 to warmup with. Just getting the blood flowing for the most part going through the motions. Jumped up to my workset which was 275 lbs. Got 4.5 reps with 275!! I was proud of myself here. Up 25 lbs. from last week with some damn good form. Which is important obviously. Lat contractions were excellent. I found that if I keep my elbows tucked extremely close to my sides I feel the movement in my lats even more. Dropped down to 225 for 12. Nice strength here. Last week I got 250x7.5, and then 205x12. So I am up on both sets.

Rack Deadlifts:
      565x1!, 585x1! evillaugh
      Ow. Thats what I have to say about my rack pulls today. Started off with 225, 315, 405, and 495 for my warmups. 495 actually felt heavy as hell. Increased to 565 lbs. Jeez. Got a single with 565 and I was happy. It felt HEAVY AS HELL. I wanted to shoot for 6 plates today just to see if I could do it. I be completely honest I know this is bad but I didnt think I was going to get it. 565 was friggin' impossible so I couldnt even imagine what 585 would feel like. Regardless, I loaded up 6 plates. Took around 7-10 minutes just preparing myself mentally for this lift. Going through the motion, etc. Finally the gym played the Puddle of Mud song, "She F*ckin' Hates Me"---and I got all pissed off and went for it. Pull 585 for single!! I was happy. Lockout was terrific. Stood straight up with the bar and held it locked out for a good 2 seconds. Just flexing my traps, etc. The bar was friggin' bending like crazy. Looked kinda funny. When I lowered the bar and set it on the pins the plates were friggin' clanking together for like 10 seconds. Good set, I was happy. From now on---5 lbs. increments!! I dont want to pull a hernia or anything like that. I think my goal for January 1, 2003, is going to be 615x1. Well see if HomeYield can top that...

Parallel-grip Supported Rows:
      260x3.5!, 210x8
      Good sets of supported rows today. Really hit my lats hard with these 2 sets. Started off with 260 lbs. for 3.5 reps. Nice strength here. Felt this first set in my lats like crazy. Good slow negative and really good lat contractions. Felt strong. Like a parallel-grip WAY more than an underhand grip. Not really sure why. Dropped down to 210 lbs. for 8 reps. Nice strength here. Up a rep on my second set from last week. New PB, up 5 lbs. on the first set. Both sets were good. Fried my lats well.

Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers:
      85x6!, 65x8
      Wow, some good sets of pullovers today. My chest was extremely sore so my pecs were honestly giving me a little trouble during this set. Oh well. Focused on my lats and serratus muscles. Stretch at the bottom of each rep was intense. Felt the stretch all throughout my upper body. In my lats and serratus and intercostals and sternum. Up to an 85 lbs. DB today, and last week I used an 80 lbs. DB. Good increase. Same # of reps on the first set. Dropped to a 65 for 8 reps. Focused on my lat contractions a LOT in my second set especially. Both sets were good.

Seated V-bar Pulldowns:
      185x6.5
      Good set of v-bar pulldowns today. Basically did these because I was just rowed out. After bentover rows and supported rows my back was friggin' dead. Good set here I guess. Felt this exercise a lot in my lats right under my armpits---which is a good thing I think. Just going to use v-bar pulldowns as a finishing movement. Nice set. Lats were friggin' EXAUSTED.

Standing Barbell Curls:
      140x2!, 95x10
      Sh*tty set of BB curls with 140 lbs. Too much body English going for the second rep. Felt like I was doing f*ckin' Arnold's cheat curls. Oh well. Biceps were dead from the exercises up to this point. Got a double with 140 lbs. Going to stick with 140 lbs. for a while until I get at least 4 solid reps with good form. BB curls are really hard for me to progress on for some reason. Biceps are just a b*tch anyways. Such a small puny musclegroup compared to my triceps. Dropped down to 95 lbs. for 10 reps. Up a rep on the second set from last week which is good. Trying to get 12 reps with 95 lbs. That would be good for me. Biceps were pretty pumped at this point. Haha.

Seated Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls:
      50x7
      Nice set of hammer curls today. I should have done incline curls but some skinny faggot was on the incline bench. This kid was no more than 95 lbs. LOL. At least he's trying, gotta give him credit. Did seated hammer curls. Which I actually liked. Good slow negative really feeling the exercise in my brachialis and brachioradialis. Good set. Arms were friggin' dead, they were aching me like crazy after this set.

Standing Reverse Cable Curls:
      120x8
      Good finishing exercise for my forearms/arms. Instead of rope cable curls I decided to hit up reverse cable curls. Used a semi-cambered kind of bar. Never seen it before. Good set. Forearms and biceps were both DEAD. Forearms were friggin' aching from the rack deads. Ouch. Going to try and progress on this exercise next week, well see what happens.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      45 minutes
    • SLEEP
      7 hours
    • WEIGHT
      215 lbs. (home)---225 lbs. (gym)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Sleep was decent last night I think, but not great. Didnt really sleep that long for some reason. I dont know why. Woke up and just felt like sh*t, and felt fat, of course. Hopefully Ill burn off some of the calories that I took in yesterday during my workout this morning. Weight was HIGH as friggin' hell. Jeez. WOW. Weight at the gym was 225 lbs. LOL---thats my goal! But I know that its because of water retention and some fat gain from yesterday's feast. Hopefully Ill get to 225 rather LEAN pounds.
    Last edited by MonStar; 12-15-2002 at 12:39 AM.

Originally posted by NateDogg
    Hapy Turkey Day, if not a little late, and FEEL BETTER!!!!
    Hey thanks a lot ND, right now I dont feel that bad for some reason. I expected to feel like total sh*t after my workout but for some reason I feel pretty good. I hope that this friggin' flu or whatever the f*ck it is goes away soon. I hate being sick. All I want to do is sleep and lay around. And today I work from 1-7 so thats going to be nice. Shame I cannot friggin' sleep at work.

Anyway, thanks for the support ND.

Great workout Monstar.... lookin' very impressive!! And the weight keeps goin' up, eh? (especially after eating yesterday... lol) I don't think my lifts are anywhere near as impressive as yours despite your compliments in my journal (which are very welcome, thanks). Keep it up, you're kickin' ass!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Bring on the 3-4 days of soreness!

Good lifting man.

Sensational workout Mike and to say you were under the weather!

In the back of my mind i was hoping you wouldn't work out, as it can hinder recovery from illness but bingo that was ace.

The deadlift pb was hot, as was the bb rows, the bb curls were pretty good too. Your are definately an iron warrior!

Keep it up man and next thing you know 600lbs deadlifts will be part of your warm up

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by MonStar
    Rack Deadlifts:
    565x1!, 585x1! evillaugh
    Ow. Thats what I have to say about my rack pulls today. Started off with 225, 315, 405, and 495 for my warmups. 495 actually felt heavy as hell. Increased to 565 lbs. Jeez. Got a single with 565 and I was happy. It felt HEAVY AS HELL. I wanted to shoot for 6 plates today just to see if I could do it. I be completely honest I know this is bad but I didnt think I was going to get it. 565 was friggin' impossible so I couldnt even imagine what 585 would feel like. Regardless, I loaded up 6 plates. Took around 7-10 minutes just preparing myself mentally for this lift. Going through the motion, etc. Finally the gym played the Puddle of Mud song, "She F*ckin' Hates Me"---and I got all pissed off and went for it. Pull 585 for single!! I was happy. Lockout was terrific. Stood straight up with the bar and held it locked out for a good 2 seconds. Just flexing my traps, etc. The bar was friggin' bending like crazy. Looked kinda funny. When I lowered the bar and set it on the pins the plates were friggin' clanking together for like 10 seconds. Good set, I was happy. From now on---5 lbs. increments!! I dont want to pull a hernia or anything like that. I think my goal for January 1, 2003, is going to be 615x1. Well see if HomeYield can top that...
    Geez, was that a 30 pound improvement from the last time you did them? I agree with the 5 pound increments you plan to do. I seem to do my best when I slowly increase the weight.

WEIGHT
    215 lbs. (home)---225 lbs. (gym)
    You must have had a good thanksgiving!
    5-9 170

Originally posted by Workhorse
    Great workout Monstar.... lookin' very impressive!! And the weight keeps goin' up, eh? (especially after eating yesterday... lol) I don't think my lifts are anywhere near as impressive as yours despite your compliments in my journal (which are very welcome, thanks). Keep it up, you're kickin' ass!
    Hey thanks for chiming in WH, yeah weights have been damn impressive actually. At least for me. Rack deads and bentover rows I feel strong in. Today though I went really heavy so I am going to start increasing in 5 lbs. increments. That way I dont overload my body too badly. Well see what happens I guess. Nah, I think that you have definitely got me beat on a few exercises WH, no doubt about it. Keep up the hard work. Thanks for the support.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Bring on the 3-4 days of soreness!

Good lifting man.
    Aint that the truth!! Well I am guessing around 3 days of soreness for my back/biceps and all that, but around 4 days of negative traces for my friggin' pecs. Somehow my pecs take a BEATING during my Push session. Theyre sore forever it seems. Oh well. I am thinking about maybe not doing squats on Monday. Because my lower back was SHOT today during rack deads. I guess Ill see how I feel on Monday and decide then. I like being completely in control of my training, its definitely nice. Thanks for the support SF.

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Sensational workout Mike and to say you were under the weather!

In the back of my mind i was hoping you wouldn't work out, as it can hinder recovery from illness but bingo that was ace.
    Thank for the support BR, appreciate it man. Yeah I was going to skip this Pull session but I realized that I cannot be sparing workouts, especially Pull sessions. Since I am in competition with HomeYield for the strongest rack dead and bentover row, by January 1, 2003. Well see how things go. I have a feeling I am not going to get much higher than 600 lbs. But I dont know, dont want to underestimate my strength.

The deadlift pb was hot, as was the bb rows, the bb curls were pretty good too. Your are definately an iron warrior!

Keep it up man and next thing you know 600lbs deadlifts will be part of your warm up

B-R
    Yeah thanks for the support BR. I was really happy with my bentover rowing and rack dead strength. Really impressed myself with my strength on those two exercises specifically. LOL, I dont think its possible to have 600 lbs. deads as part of your warmup but Ill try to!! Thanks for the support BR.

Originally posted by ryan1117
    Geez, was that a 30 pound improvement from the last time you did them?
    Yeah ryan, believe it or not it was a 30 lbs. increase. Actually wasnt supposed to be. Was going to stop at 565x1 but I felt kinda strong and I REALLY wanted 6 plates. So I went for it. Glad that I did but I am going to be aching tomorrow!! Damn. Hoping for 615x1 by January 1, 2003. I dont know, well see what happens of course.

I agree with the 5 pound increments you plan to do. I seem to do my best when I slowly increase the weight.

You must have had a good thanksgiving!
    Yeah I am going to stick to 5 lbs. increments from now on, on the majority of my exercises. I like increasing 10 lbs. but my reps tend to drop rather dramatically when I increase 10 lbs. I dont know well see what happens. I would love to be rowing 315 lbs. by 2003. But I dont know. 275 was a b*tch today. Going to go for 280 next Pull session, and then 285, etc. So maybe Ill get 300-315 by 2003. Not sure just yet.

Honestly, when you're gonna go for a new PR, why not just shoot up to from 20lbs down? I mean, if you wanted 565 the first time, it's probably better to start at 520 and go right to 565. Or so it has been better with my training.

Honestly, when you're gonna go for a new PR, why not just shoot up to from 20lbs down? I mean, if you wanted 565 the first time, it's probably better to start at 520 and go right to 565. Or so it has been better with my training.
    Yeah I know what youre saying SF. I generally do this. I dont do what I did today usually. I wanted 565x1. And then after I got that, I realized that I just was going to say f*ck it and shoot for 6 plates. Stuff like that usually doesnt happen. I have a # in mind, and I shoot for that. Thats how it almost always works for the most part. For example I am going to go for 590x1 next Pull session. So Ill warmup with 135, 225, 315, 405, and 495. Then shoot for 590.

Yeah, I always lift in sets of 3 down to singles to a 1RM, so eventually I just decide it's time to start making larger jumps. I'm not interested in the submaximal lifts anyways, I want to get up to and over my PRs.

Yeah, I always lift in sets of 3 down to singles to a 1RM, so eventually I just decide it's time to start making larger jumps. I'm not interested in the submaximal lifts anyways, I want to get up to and over my PRs.
    Yeah I am pretty much like that with everything I guess. I am interested in my first workset for that exercise and the set after that is more of a burnout set so to speak. Seems to work well too for gaining size and strength. I feel like this program is really allowing me to gain some size and strength. Especially strength though man, damn. 585x1 on rack deads, something I NEVER thought I would accomplish. No straps or anything, just chalk.

• GENERAL COMMENTS
      Feel so sick today. Throat and cough and cold are just killing me. I hate being sick so damn much. Realizing now that I have NO IDEA when I am going to train my Push session again because my DOMS is still pretty intense unfortunately. At this point I have Legs on Monday and then I am not sure whats next after that. Finally got back in touch with the first company that I ordered the glucophage from! Its about time, jeez. They said that my order will most likely be here sometime next week. So well see what happens with that. I have a few things that could be here anytime.
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Damn I am aching today!! Lats and traps are friggin' killing me. I mean theyre sore as sh*t. Biceps and brachioradialis are also aching. Chest and triceps are STILL sore, jeez. This is day (4) of negative traces for chest and triceps. And theyre hurtin' pretty good too.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Meal 1: Meso-Tech MRP + 2% milk + ice-cream, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Ripped Fuel Extreme
      Meal 2: vitamin water
      Meal 3: choclate caramel bar
      Meal 4: chicken pasta, iced tea, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: 1 zone bar, vitamin water
      Meal 6: 6-piece McDonald's chicken nuggets, fruit & yogurt parfait, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Ripped Fuel Extreme
      Meal 7: 2 cans V-8, 2 m&m ice-cream sandwiches

• TRAINING---REST
      N/A.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      N/A.
    • SLEEP
      7.5 hours
    • WEIGHT
      211.5 lbs. (home)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Slept pretty good last night I guess. Which is a good thing. Felt pretty damn sick when I woke up though. Weight this morning was good I think. Down a bit from yesterday which is a good thing for me because I had pigged out so damn much on Thanksgiving I know I gained some fat, along with some water. Well see what happens.
    Last edited by MonStar; 12-15-2002 at 12:40 AM.

Hope you start feeling better soon , being ill bites, especially when you like to train.

Just soldier on and you'll be right, what else are you getting supplement wise, other than the meta?
    (make sure you get plenty of rest and take some pain killers if necessary)

B-R

DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
    Preworkout: orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
    During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
    Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech, 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
    Meal 4: cup of noodles, 1 balance bar, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E
    Meal 5: 1 luna bar
    Meal 6: soy protein shake
    Meal 7: soy chips, lemonade spritzer, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g ester-C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Ripped Fuel Extreme
    Meal 8: 1 balance shake
    Meal 9: 2 Wendy's cheeseburgers, 1 Wendy's small frosty

Get your protein up and your fatigue won't last so long. I don't have all the labels handy, but it looks to me from this that maybe 15% of those 3500 calories was protein. Now I agree for gaining weight that a calorie in is a calorie in, but your body will definitely find different uses for each type of calorie. So up your protein.

I think you should drop the rack deads and do real deads.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Get your protein up and your fatigue won't last so long. I don't have all the labels handy, but it looks to me from this that maybe 15% of those 3500 calories was protein. Now I agree for gaining weight that a calorie in is a calorie in, but your body will definitely find different uses for each type of calorie. So up your protein.
    :withstupi works for me anyway

Hope you start feeling better soon , being ill bites, especially when you like to train.

Just soldier on and you'll be right, what else are you getting supplement wise, other than the meta?
    (make sure you get plenty of rest and take some pain killers if necessary)

B-R
    Thanks for the post BR, seriously, appreciate the support man. Yeah I am trying to just overcome this sickness rather quickly. Most likely going to add some echinacea to my supplements. I have been taking it spontaneously and never really taken it consistently. So well see what happens. Not sure yet what I want to do. I ordered 250 tabs of 850 mg. glucophage and thats all. Thats all I really need/want to expirament with at this point. Thanks for chiming it BR.

That day I got around ~180g of protein. I mean thats not GREAT but I dont think its horrible either. Around a gram of protein for every pound of LBM. So I am assuming I have around 190 lbs. of LBM or so if not a little more. So I guess I am a little low in protein but nothing extraordinary. Oh well. Yeah I am trying to consume more and more protein, gets so hard though.

Originally posted by Belial
    I think you should drop the rack deads and do real deads.
    Eh, I disagree. I have considered this many times B. Trust me. Regular deads first of all involve my legs, and I dont want them to get overtrained. Second of all they stress my lower back like crazy, and I want to include squats in my routine. Thirdly I dont LIKE them. I hate them, with a passion. Everytime I have done them I hated them like crazy. Dont ask me why. Fourth of all they dont hit my midback as much as rack deadlifts do. I dont know, lots of reasons I dont care for full ROM deads.

:withstupi works for me anyway
    Yeah honestly years ago when I bumped my protein intake up to 275-325g of protein per day my strength in the gym skyrocketed. I mean literally flew up on every single exercise. Surprised me a great deal actually. So well see what happens. I am trying to get my protein intake up, but it gets hard working all the time, etc. Oh well. Need to stop making excuses.

Originally posted by MonStar

I have been taking it spontaneously and never really taken it consistently.
    I think you mean sporadically...
    Last edited by Just some girl; 12-01-2002 at 12:28 AM.

Originally posted by Just some girl
    I think you mean sporadically...
    Not really, I dont think. Unless I am retarded. Heres the dictionary definition of 'spontaneously'---"Happening or arising without apparent external cause; self-generated." Thats pretty much how I was taking the echinacea. All of the sudden for no real reason. Instead of taking it on a regular basis like I should have been taking it. I guess I was taking it sporadically as well.