The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by the doc
    monstar i think moving rows to primary exercise would be a good idea. I am actually doing the same... (use bw chins as only a warmup for the lats since they have a god range of motion)
    Agreed doc. I am going to move bentover BB rows to my primary back exercise. See how heavy I can get with this exercise. I would love to be pulling 275+ lbs. in the future. That would be great. My competition is obviously very tough, BCC with 295 lbs. BB rows and Belial with 315 lbs. BB rows. Jeez. Hope to catch up to those guys one day. Well see what happens.

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    word mike,

good to see your seeking a new direction and i respect you for it. The bench pressing you did both bb and db was quality man, keep up the good work and im with you all the way.
    Hey thanks a lot BR, I appreciate the post. You are always very positive in your posts I really seriously appreciate it. Anyway thanks a lot for hte comments about my pressing strength. My incline BB pressing strength was okay, hopefully Ill get those #s way up. Same goes for my flat DB pressing strength.

I hear you on the link between school and motivation, i was exactly the same, when i was doing well in class i was invincible, but poor work= **** workouts etc...
    Yeah glad that you can relate man. Its tough to combine work and school. Sh*ts a b*tch isnt it man? Jeez. Like I dont have enough to deal with already, damn. Oh well. Well see what happens.

As for your diet, well it may not be a perfect example of nutrition but it will serve its purpose. ive started to take this look upon my diet, some saturated fats aint gonna kill you, i mean we are training this will help us big time, i just pitty the sedentry.
    I agree man I may not be the poster boy diet wise but I dont think that my diet is holding me back in anyway shape or form. If anything it is simply holding up my bf% from getting any lower. But other than that I feel good, I am stronger, etc. So I am not going to change things up just because its considered 'unhealthy.'

oh ye cheers 4 posting in my journal man much appreciated
    No problem, appreciate the support as well.

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    Your diet is a fat slobs dream.
    Just don't start complaing afterwards that you look like a fat pig.

Good luck.
    LOL---yeah I guess it is a fat slob's dream huh? I am having fun though Maki Ill tell ya. I wont look like a fat pig dont worry, so there will be no reason to complain. Thanks for chiming in man.

bone crusher
    also monstar i would recommend the curl grip pulldowns be incorperated as chris recommends. THey seem to really work the lats well over the whole ROM

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Are you suggesting the way you hold the bar affects how much of the ROM works your lats?

Originally posted by the doc
    also monstar i would recommend the curl grip pulldowns be incorperated as chris recommends. THey seem to really work the lats well over the whole ROM
    I dont know doc, I prefer BTN chins over any kind of curl-grip pulldown. I have tried both and its really not much of a question for me. In my opinion one of the chinning movments destroys the other. I can tell but how much I feel the exercise, my pump, my DOMS the next day, etc. Just an observation. Thanks for the post doc.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Are you suggesting the way you hold the bar affects how much of the ROM works your lats?
    I am not sure if youre referring to me or doc. I think that your grip on the bar does affect the stimulation of the muscles. Obviously a close-grip on bench for example will hit your triceps more, etc. With chins an underhand grip supposedly lets you lats fail last---although I have experienced much much better gains from BTN chins, rather than curl-grip chins.

• GENERAL COMMENTS
      Feel good today I think. I am doing legs this morning so that should workout well. I was talking with Saturday Fever about my recuperation and he brought up a very interesting way of tracking recovery from Supertraining. Very interesting. You take the # of days that you have negative traces (like DOMS for example), and multiply that # by 3 to get when you would train next. For example I did my back on Wednesday, and my back is still sore. Hopefully it wont be sore tomorrow so thats Thursday, Friday, and Saturday it was sore. So 3x3=9, meaning that I would train my back again next Thursday. You include the day that you trained the musclegroup and the day youre training it again. Might give it a shot I dont know yet.
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Chest and triceps are friggin' F*CKED. Sore as sh*t. Lats are stiff tense, I am not sure what the problem is. Well see what happens with my session this morning. I have been eating a ton but my DOMS has been insane. I dont know what the problem is. Traps feel fine, but my lats are still aching. So this is the 3rd day that I still have negative traces in my lats. Damn.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Preworkout: crushed pineapple, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech, 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: dried apricots
      Meal 5: soy protein shake
      Meal 6: macaroni & cheese, lemonade spritzer, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 7: soy protein bar
      Meal 8: soy protein bar
      Meal 9: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Xenadrine RFA-1
      Meal 10: 3 pudding snacks, skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~3600
    • TRAINING---LEGS
      Squats:
      375x5!, 315x7
      Damn, some HARD sets of squats today. I am not sure what the problem was but I didnt feel fully recovered at all. For some reason during squats today my body just wouldnt go through the motions, I had to force it. It was hard to explain I just felt like my flexibility was gone or something. Need to stretch some more obviously. Anyway it felt very awkward for some reason. Oh well. ROM was still good. Just some discomfort. Anyways started off with some warmups, that I dont have listed. 135, 225, and 315 I believe. Jumped up to 375 for 5. New PB! I was happy about my strength here. Dropped down to three plates for 7 reps. Second set was friggin' KILLER. Exausted my lower body completely. I felt like I was drained after these two worksets. Damn.

Power Squats:
      520x8!, 430x10
      This is an exercise that I actually thought was the hack squat, LOL. I have never really payed attention to hack squats so I didnt know what the machine looked like. Looked it up and it ended up being something made my Streamline called "Power Squats"---I am going to attach a picture in the post after this entry. Good exercise. Hits my quads and glutes and hamstrings all pretty damn well. Can go heavy on it too which is nice. Started off with 520 for 8, new PB obviously. And then dropped down to 430 for 10. Good sets here. Hit my thighs hard, felt this in my glutes too.

Seated Leg Extensions:
      200x10
      Good set of leg ext. today, awesome quad contractions. I have always liked these because I could contract the hell out of my thighs. Got 10 reps with 200 lbs. Nice burn and lactic acid buildup in my thighs. After this my thighs were pumped and fried. Good set here though. Nice finisher for my quads.

Lying Leg Curls:
      150x9
      A good set of lying leg curls today for my hamstrings. I was thinking about doing either squats or GMs in each workout, not both. When I do both my lower back takes too much of a beating. Anyway, got a nice deep aching in my hamstrings during this set which was nice.

Rope Cable Pull-throughs:
      120x8
      Wow, I really like these! I did them 1-2 times before and stopped doing them for some reason. I dont know why. I really like them. Crushed my lower back and glutes completely. Really squeezed my glutes hard with this exercise. Glutes definitely took the majority of the stress on this movement.

Seated Calf Raises:
      180x20, 180x20, 90x40
      Nice sets of seated calf raises today. Was going to do standing calf raises but honestly after squats and other lower back exercises standing calf raises put a lot of pressure on my lower back. Just stabilizing the weight I guess. Anway went high-reps today on seated calf raises. FRIED my lower legs completely, damn. Some good hard sets. Calves were pumped up and ACHING after this. They were shaking like crazy when I was driving, haha.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      25 minutes
    • SLEEP
      7 hours
    • WEIGHT
      213 lbs. (home)---220 lbs. (gym)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Slept well last night I think, I dont know. Its all good. Damn my weight this morning at home was insane!! I usually weigh around 207-208 lbs. at home. Now I am to friggin' 213 lbs. at home!! Jesus. I think maybe I should cut back on my calories a TAD. I mean not drastically just try to shoot for ~3000 on non-training days and ~3500 on training days. Because I am gaining weight a little TOO quickly. Well see what happens. Damn, 220 lbs. at the gym this morning. Can tell me midsection is definitely softening up. Which isnt necessarily horrible because I am bulking up. But I do need to cut back my calories a bit.
    Last edited by MonStar; 12-15-2002 at 12:27 AM.

Here are the Power Squats that I was doing this morning. Here is the image:

And for those of you who cannot view it that way, here is another one---the same machine:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My gym has that machine. I used to use it to prepare myself for squats. Nice machine because you can face in either direction.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Originally posted by Max-Mex
    My gym has that machine. I used to use it to prepare myself for squats. Nice machine because you can face in either direction.
    Thanks for chiming in MM. Yeah it is a good machine it friggin' fried my thighs and glutes alright. I really like it because you can go heavy without having to stabilize the weight like you have to do in freeweight squats. I am sure I could work up to 700-800 lbs. on power squats. Damn good exercise. I was facing the weight stack by the way.

Originally posted by MonStar
    I was talking with Saturday Fever about my recuperation and he brought up a very interesting way of tracking recovery from Supertraining. Very interesting. You take the # of days that you have negative traces (like DOMS for example), and multiply that # by 3 to get when you would train next.
    You have GOT to be kidding me, somebody was actually paid to write that? An equation for recovery time ... and I thought I'd seen it all.

Why multiply it by 3? Why not 2 or 4 ... or 1.5? Just something to think about when you're reading dribble like this ... where do they come up with these figures? How is it possible to generalize that "formula" across an entire spectrum of lifters?

Sounds like something that came out of the pages of Flex. You sure that statement wasn't followed by an ad for Nitrotech?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Actually, the idea came from Dr. Mel Siff and Zatsiorsky. They're much wiser than any of us, and the research was thorough.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    You can edit it.

I don't like the idea of those being called power squats. Call them machine squats. Power squats almost sound like real squats.

Pull thrus are ace.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Hey Mike, just checkin' out your journal. Good luck as usual. Just a suggestion, and I am not a psychologist or anything, but I would step back and take a look at yourself if I were you. You start every training/diet journal entry with, "I feel good today, I think," or "Feel good I guess, I don't know," or "I feel really good today, I think, I don't know." What's the matter that you can't just feel good? Why question it? Be happy bro!!!! Anyway, great lifts as usual.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by MonStar
    [*]WEIGHT
    213 lbs. (home)---220 lbs. (gym)
    Is this from the difference in scales or did you weight yourself in the mourning and then weight yourself in the middle of the day. Your body can fluctate a lot from food intake and water weight. I hate it, im a wrestler and after every meal have to step on the scale sometimes........
    hardcore

how long do you take between sets? 20 minutes for your leg workout? that seems really fast....
    hardcore

Originally posted by Otter
    You have GOT to be kidding me, somebody was actually paid to write that? An equation for recovery time ... and I thought I'd seen it all.

Why multiply it by 3? Why not 2 or 4 ... or 1.5? Just something to think about when you're reading dribble like this ... where do they come up with these figures? How is it possible to generalize that "formula" across an entire spectrum of lifters?

Sounds like something that came out of the pages of Flex. You sure that statement wasn't followed by an ad for Nitrotech?
    Actually Otter it was from pages 87-89 in Supertraining. And Supertraining obviously does not have anything that Flex or a Muscletech advertisement would contain. Sounds kind of crazy but I am thinking that the equation is solid. Saturday Fever has experienced good results with it, and I am hoping that I will too.

Thanks for chiming in with your opinion Otter.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Actually, the idea came from Dr. Mel Siff and Zatsiorsky. They're much wiser than any of us, and the research was thorough.
    Yeah exactly, this is one of the reasons that I take it so seriously. Again, SF, thanks for bringing this to my attention. As you read and apply principles from Supertraining---its great. Because its tough for me to grasp a lot of the concept in Supertraining, So its really really nice when you can read and apply the concepts.

Originally posted by LATMAN
    You can edit it.

I don't like the idea of those being called power squats. Call them machine squats. Power squats almost sound like real squats.

Pull thrus are ace.
    I did edit it Latty, thanks for the comments. I agree that 'Power Squats' sound a bit too much like real squats. Anyway yeah man pull throughs are friggin' awesome. They seem to isolate my glutes especially more than any other exercise. Hit my lower back extremely well also.

Originally posted by NateDogg
    Hey Mike, just checkin' out your journal. Good luck as usual. Just a suggestion, and I am not a psychologist or anything, but I would step back and take a look at yourself if I were you. You start every training/diet journal entry with, "I feel good today, I think," or "Feel good I guess, I don't know," or "I feel really good today, I think, I don't know." What's the matter that you can't just feel good? Why question it? Be happy bro!!!! Anyway, great lifts as usual.

ND
    Hey thanks a lot for the post ND---appreciate it man. Yeah I know I do start off my comments with something like, 'I feel decent today.' Etc. I am really not sure what my problem is. I have no real TRUE reason why I shouldnt be happy. I dont know what my problem is. Thanks a lot for the comments about my lifts man, appreciate the kind words, seriously.

I am going to watch my calorie intake a bit though because I have been taking in a TON lately.

Originally posted by jiacstrap
    Is this from the difference in scales or did you weight yourself in the mourning and then weight yourself in the middle of the day. Your body can fluctate a lot from food intake and water weight. I hate it, im a wrestler and after every meal have to step on the scale sometimes........
    Yeah I dont know whatsup with those scales LOL! I use to wrestle too so I know exactly what you mean. Strange huh? The one at my house is an electronic scale with a lithium battery, pretty good quality. The one at my gym and at my work is a balance type of scale. So I dont know which to take the most seriously. I usually take an average of home and weight. So I am assuming that right now I am around ~216 lbs. Something along those lines.

how long do you take between sets? 20 minutes for your leg workout? that seems really fast....
    Thats the truth isnt it man! My workouts do fly by. I almost miss working out right as I am leaving because I feel like I am barely in the gym. 20-35 minutes is usually the range for my workouts. I mean on average I would say. I take as short of a rest period as I can handle. Maybe 45-90 seconds or something along those lines. Leaning towards :45.

By the way jiacstrap thanks for checking out my journal man.

hows it going mike, ive been thinking about your training and diet quite a bit lately from reading your posts and thought that if you changed your routine you could create something amazing. I mean know you are extremely impressive and at your age you've got the foundations. But imagine if you changed your routine (specifically times) maybe doing a 50min workout every once in a while.

And i know you are happy with your diet but if you changed it so it would be more structured then you could become even better.
    Its only a suggestion and i would only want the best for fellow bodybuilders but if you are happy as you are now then stick too it.

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    LOL. I wasn't saying yo can edit it, I meant SF. There was a comment in there that must have been deleted. Either way, good job.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    hows it going mike, ive been thinking about your training and diet quite a bit lately from reading your posts and thought that if you changed your routine you could create something amazing. I mean know you are extremely impressive and at your age you've got the foundations. But imagine if you changed your routine (specifically times) maybe doing a 50min workout every once in a while.

And i know you are happy with your diet but if you changed it so it would be more structured then you could become even better.
    Its only a suggestion and i would only want the best for fellow bodybuilders but if you are happy as you are now then stick too it.

B-R
    I know what youre saying about my training and diet BR, trust me. I have heard it from practically everyone here at WBB. I enjoy the suggestions, but at this point, I cannot take them. All I am doing now is following a push-pull-legs type of split with no real scheduled rest days. And no real scheduled exercises either to be honest. So I am just trying to shoot for anything extra right now. I am just trying to take in enough calories, and lift. Not focus on anything else at the moment. Thanks for chiming in though BR, appreciate it man, seriously.

Good luck to you in the gym, and with the CKD I believe is the diet youre on now right?