Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 613

Thread: MonStar's Journal: A New Beginning

  1. #76
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Otter
    According to my equation, I'd say you should pull on Wedensday at 8:53 p.m.
    Thanks for chiming in Otter, great post man.

    In the future please dont waste your time posting such meaningless posts in my journal, thanks.

  2. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    414
    Originally posted by MonStar
    In the future please dont waste your time posting such meaningless posts in my journal, thanks.
    It's not meaningless, it's only as silly as that rest equation you are using.

    I'm merely pointing out that it's better to go by what your body tells you, not by what some guy (who is completely unaware of YOUR body, genetics, intensity level, etc...) wrote in a book.

  3. #78
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Otter
    It's not meaningless, it's only as silly as that rest equation you are using.

    I'm merely pointing out that it's better to go by what your body tells you, not by what some guy (who is completely unaware of YOUR body, genetics, intensity level, etc...) wrote in a book.
    Were all entitled to our opinion I guess huh? Its all good though Otter. I am going to try and use this system as a way of listening to my body. I usually follow a scheduled split which is what I am trying to get away from thats all. Its fine that you dont agree with it but you can please state that once, and not again and again.

  4. #79
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    Or Otter can post his own extensive research results that invalidate Zatsiorsky's model of training. It's not like he just sat down at the table and thought, "You know, I'm going to make this up and have it published in Human Kinetics." It was researched, on numerous persons. Don't use genetics as a cheap "out." Yes we are all genetically unique, but yes we are all made of the same stuff and function the same way. Part of the reason Supertraining is such a great book, other than great research done, is that it doesn't have an easy out. It doesn't claim that things are only true if you meet certain criteria, or do something else at the same time. It's based on science.

    I'll be waiting to see your extensive research and publication rivaling the work done by Zatsiorsky.

  5. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    414
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I'll be waiting to see your extensive research and publication rivaling the work done by Zatsiorsky.
    I do my own research every day, every workout. I don't need to buy into each bit of "science" that someone studies when they're out to make a buck.

    Regardless of the fact that we're all made up of the same stuff and essentially function the same way, NOTHING can be so generalized in this sport as to say 3 * X number of days you are sore is the optimal rest period. It just doesn't make sense.

    I don't care who writes what with regards to lifting, the best research is done BY YOURSELF ON YOURSELF. It is and always will be the best measure of the effectiveness or lack thereof of a particular idea.

  6. #81
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    I'd be interested to hear what monetary gains Zatsiorsky intended to make. Don't let your lack of understanding get in the way of learning.

  7. #82
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Or Otter can post his own extensive research results that invalidate Zatsiorsky's model of training. It's not like he just sat down at the table and thought, "You know, I'm going to make this up and have it published in Human Kinetics." It was researched, on numerous persons. Don't use genetics as a cheap "out." Yes we are all genetically unique, but yes we are all made of the same stuff and function the same way. Part of the reason Supertraining is such a great book, other than great research done, is that it doesn't have an easy out. It doesn't claim that things are only true if you meet certain criteria, or do something else at the same time. It's based on science.

    I'll be waiting to see your extensive research and publication rivaling the work done by Zatsiorsky.
    I am going to have to agree here SF. Genetics do play a role I will agree with that. But too many people cop out with the bullsh*t excuse, 'we have different genetics---so what works for me definitely wont work for you.' Okay genetics play a role yes, but that doesnt mean that there are no general principles. For example squats generally will work well for the majority of people, etc. These are generalizations that for the most part ring true.

    Supertraining contains a really good amount of knowledge, and for the most part I think that Supertraining is very accurate.

  8. #83
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Otter
    I do my own research every day, every workout. I don't need to buy into each bit of "science" that someone studies when they're out to make a buck.

    Regardless of the fact that we're all made up of the same stuff and essentially function the same way, NOTHING can be so generalized in this sport as to say 3 * X number of days you are sore is the optimal rest period. It just doesn't make sense.

    I don't care who writes what with regards to lifting, the best research is done BY YOURSELF ON YOURSELF. It is and always will be the best measure of the effectiveness or lack thereof of a particular idea.
    Youre correct in saying that bodybuilding is a very individual sport. Youll know your body more than anyone else. But that doesnt mean that there are not certain things that can be said. For example most people cannot train a bodypart every single day and expect to grow. Things like that can generally be said without a disagreement. And badmouthing Supertraining is just ridiculous. The book is filled with information. All of the biomechanics behind working out, etc.

  9. #84
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I'd be interested to hear what monetary gains Zatsiorsky intended to make. Don't let your lack of understanding get in the way of learning.
    Good point SF. Seriously, nicely said.

  10. #85
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    I'm not arguing this in your journal anymore. If it must continue, there are other places for it.

    But I will say that genetics are largely misunderstood. Muscles contract the same way in every human being. The shape of the muscle may be unique, but that has no effect on how the muscle contracts. As such, every muscle in every person will fatigue the exact same way, be it neural fatigue, peripheral fatigue, short fatigue, etc. This is not genetic, this is being human. As such, with fatigue being a constant, you have to explain how genetics play a role to disqualify Zatsiorsky's Model of Training.

  11. #86
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I'm not arguing this in your journal anymore. If it must continue, there are other places for it.

    But I will say that genetics are largely misunderstood. Muscles contract the same way in every human being. The shape of the muscle may be unique, but that has no effect on how the muscle contracts. As such, every muscle in every person will fatigue the exact same way, be it neural fatigue, peripheral fatigue, short fatigue, etc. This is not genetic, this is being human. As such, with fatigue being a constant, you have to explain how genetics play a role to disqualify Zatsiorsky's Model of Training.
    Awesome point here SF, damn, impressive. You bring up a very interesting topic though. Every single person's muscles contract the exact same way. Not any different. Every persons chest contracts the same way, biceps contract the same way, etc. Regardless of genetics that will never change. Rows will always work your lats/biceps, etc.

    Thanks SF for trying to keep the debates out of my journal. Sometimes I dont mind it but a lot of times its a bit excessive.

  12. #87
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    I figure if it spans more than one page, it needs to be taken elsewhere.

  13. #88
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I figure if it spans more than one page, it needs to be taken elsewhere.
    Yeah SF exactly man. I still cant get over the next time that I am training man its friggin' insane. I train Pull on Thursday, and then I train Push on Saturday. I am not sure when I train legs yet. Either Sunday or Friday---not sure at this point. Thats going to be a bit strange isnt it?

    What should I do in this case? Thursday is Pull and Saturday is Push no matter what. When it comes to Legs they might be Friday. Is this going to be a problem? Working out 3 days in a row?

  14. #89
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    I've run days in a row on this method and it didn't seem to affect my workouts. Just roll with it.

  15. #90
    Senior Member The Calvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    682
    i have gone 6 days in a row before

  16. #91
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I've run days in a row on this method and it didn't seem to affect my workouts. Just roll with it.
    Okay SF, just making sure that there is no problems there. I didnt think that there were going to be then again, sometimes things can be confusing. I didnt think that three days in a row was that big of a deal but I usually just dont go over two days in a row that the only reason that I am asking.

  17. #92
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by The Calvinator
    i have gone 6 days in a row before
    Damn man thats a lot of friggin' days in a row. Back in the day when I used to train high-volume I believe that I used to train 6 days in a row too. Dont ask me why haha, looking back I didnt make good gains at all then.

  18. #93
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093

    _______________________________________
    DAY 7
    Tuesday, 11-19-2002

    _______________________________________


    • GENERAL COMMENTS
      Feel pretty good today I think, I dont know. I have two classes today which I honestly dont feel like going to. Actually these are the classes that I mind the least so I shouldnt be complaining. I also feel like I completely reconnected with my girlfriend last night. Thats always a good thing. Anyway I train Pull on Thursday, and then I train Legs on Sunday. But Push---I dont know yet. My chest is still sore!! I am hoping that Ill train Push sometime in the next 5-6 days haha. My pecs just dont friggin' recover!
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Pecs are still aching. Arms feel fine and everything else feels fine but my pecs are still aching pretty badly. Not sure what the problem is. Legs are still a LITTLE sore, nothing major though. So that took my legs around 3 days to recover without any negative traces. So Legs will be trained on Sunday.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Meal 1: Meso-tech MRP + 2% milk + ice-cream, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Xenadrine RFA-1
      Meal 2: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 3: 2 bags frito-lay chips
      Meal 4: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Xenadrine RFA-1
      Meal 5: m&m candy
      Meal 6: whole milk

      Estimated Calories: ~3000
    • TRAINING---REST
      N/A.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      N/A.
    • SLEEP
      7 hours
    • WEIGHT
      209 lbs. (home)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Slept pretty well last night I think I dont know. Didnt wake up at all which is obviously a good thing. Weight this morning was 209 lbs. which is good too. Trying to get that last pound to hover around 210 lbs. for a bit. Well see what happens. Been trying to pretty much religiously eat ~3000 calories per day.
    Last edited by MonStar; 12-15-2002 at 12:30 AM.

  19. #94
    Senior Member The Calvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    682
    dont go to class, i dont!!!:alcoholic

  20. #95
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    209 at home? That's got to be close to 220 at the gym doesn't it? Awesome!

  21. #96
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by The Calvinator
    dont go to class, i dont!!!:alcoholic
    LOL I have to go to class man. Most of my classes I really dont like, but I force myself to go anyways. I have every single class with my girlfriend which makes the classes a LOT more enjoyable. I cant imagine us having different schedules. That would probably make me skip a lot more classes. She keeps me in line.

  22. #97
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    209 at home? That's got to be close to 220 at the gym doesn't it? Awesome!
    Hey thanks a lot for the post SF. Yeah youre right around 209 lbs. at home = 218-221 lbs. at the gym. Something close to that at least. Crazy the difference of scales. So chances are I am weighing around 215 lbs. right now. Or something along those lines. Hoping to get to around 226-229 lbs. at the gym. And maybe 215-219 lbs. at my house. That way Ill be a good 225 lbs.

  23. #98
    Senior Member The Calvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    682
    just tell your g/f to pick up the assingments for you and sign your name on the attendance sheet.
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

  24. #99
    WBB OG Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,089
    Go to class man, you'll probably learn something, i try and make 99% of mine, it teaches you so much, i have definately grown as a person since starting at uni.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

  25. #100
    Mike Henley MonStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,093
    Originally posted by The Calvinator
    just tell your g/f to pick up the assingments for you and sign your name on the attendance sheet.
    LOL I dont think so man. The lectures are actually what I learn from. I have done this a few times in the past and seriously regretted it afterwards. You dont gain the same from skipping class and picking up the work, I learned this fast.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •